Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 PM

Default stripper guid/collector guide on surf stick

recently bought a seeker SJ85, wrapped it with four guides and a tip, used a #30 for my collector, seems to work fine , and the rod is by far the best stick i've ever used, but read a few words you wrote somewhere on this website, that you were saying that factory rods have too small a stripper guide, so they fit more in a box, what number collector do you use on your rods, and doesnt that allow extra play in the line? i understand what you mean, but I fish everyday, and i've used #40 and #50 strippers and see absolutly no difference, and i fish a daiawa saltist 4000and 5000, both have huge spools...do you really think that a huge stripper is needed?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Default Re: stripper guid/collector guide on surf stick

If you are happy with a 30mm Collector guide no stress. A larger size on a spinning rod allows more line to "fly off" the reel's spool without restriction by the collector. Think about the physics of a cast, you've got a mess of line coming off the spool in large "loops" which must pass through a series of decreasing size guides. The more that can pass through quickly, the longer your cast.

All my custom rods have 70mm Pacific Bay plain stainless steel wire collector guides but they are becoming difficult to find. Mudhole Fishing Tackle carries them (XBSG Spinning). Following the 70mm Collector I have Pacific Bay Hialoy or Silicone Carbide insert guides.

Looking at my 2011 wholesale tackle catalog for B&T shops the biggest size Fuji guide listed is 50mm. They don't even offer Pacific Bay!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Senior Fellow

Barlow's Tackle shows guides sizes 25 thru 70. IMHO they have a great store --- check it out!!!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 09-18-2011, 02:56 PM
SS/Veteran

All of my surf spin rods have either a 60 or 70 mm collector guide, depending on size of rod.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
SS/Veteran

DavidM, welcome to the board. I also have some of the "old school" custom rods with a 70 chrome gathering guide, but have most of my newer rods concept built. Almost all of my fishing is with spinners. The rods I use most, have a 30, or 25 as a first guide , going down to an 8 in some cases. Just today, I got my new Mud Hole catalog, and it shows micro guides that start at 16, then 10, followed by 9 size 4, with the tip probably 8 or 10. That is for the same 8 foot blank that you just built. Obviously, no shocker, just straight braid,total of 11 guides. This is for spinning set up. Casting guides start at size 8! Anyway, enjoy your rod, and good luck. Joe.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Used to be in the day where your collector guide matched your reels spool diam. or at least close.
Some manufacturers went away from that with new design. My St. Croix's all have smaller collector guides set up higher and I really don't notice any difference.
Of course if you are re-doing a rod or swapping a broken guide, I go back with the same size.