Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Book Talk: Striper Hot Spots (farmer's daughter)

If Who, What, Where are the guiding principles of useful writing, then after my auto-biography and how-to book the next stone in the road would have to be a locations directory. That was Striper Hot Spots and it too sold well over 10,000 copies with subsequent printings. The idea was to list shore fishing locations south to north containing all the information the reader needed to find, properly fish, utilize insider facts on a spot from square one to expert in as little time as possible. People need to know where they can fish.

When I put this together I too had concerns about ruining the fishing. Consequently, I sought to list only those hot spots that were regularly fished and which could accommodate a reasonable number of surfcasters. Spot burning, an Internet inspired vitching crutch, was foremost on my mind and those little isoteric, hardcore locations nobody wants to see in print were protected. But in the back of my mind was also an experience I had on the Cape when a regular there complaining about writers offered to buy all my stories to keep them out of print. Then he went to writing for the Cape newspapers for nothing. It was then that the idea hit home about the farmer's daughter: If you don't do it, somebody else will. I went ahead and wrote Striper Hot Spots.

Note that we cover my titles here in the order in which they were written. You are invited to reflect upon this third book of mine.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Default Re: Book Talk: Striper Hot Spots (farmer's daughter)

I got the original back around 2004, and found it very informative. When you decided to update it, and asked for my help on Central Jersey spots, I was honored! One thing you mentioned in the above, and which you held to on info I sent you, you were only interested in spots that were well known and could hold a number of fishermen. I know I sent you some that were borderline as far as number of people it could hold, and you didnt include them. I remember you mentioning spot burning and such, but as far as I'm concerned, there aren't too many spots around here that are secrets. It is a very good book (or in the later editions, books ) for those just getting into surfcasting, or those traveling to an unfamiliar area. It gives you a starting point, then it's up to the individual to learn the ins and outs of a particular place.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 PM

There have been a lot of spot burning complaints on the Internet. But I think a lot of people find the spot burning concept easy to understand and is popular, for that reason, with the ding-dongs. I mean, Breezy Point, Montauk, Race Point, the Cape Cod Canal -- dah. Again, I must emphasize that it was only a matter of time before someone else did it. As it is a similar spots location book was written by the editor who fired me over another issue. Steve Hickoff wrote a trout hot spots book which was no effect on my striper spots. Sure, I was not beaten to the starting gate, but I was immatated after my first version -- the sincerest form of flattery. It was only a matter of time before someone else did, if I hadn't. Which is why I call it the Farmer's Daughter.

The original version was very successful. So much so that it went on advanced royalty. When you reach a certain sales point, royalty goes from 10 percent to 12 percent. So $1000 check becomes $1200. Not much, I know, but it is what Woolner used to call "new money for old rope." (Don't the bragging bother you. later you will hear about my dog books. I'll come clean, I promise.)
Old 05-09-2012, 04:02 PM

One time, back when I used to do shows in September on Long Island for the Fisherman Magazine, I had a person tell me he looked up his spot in the Striper Hot Spots book at the library and the page for it had been torn out.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Damn you Frank for burning all those spots!
I still say, and even talking with Al Bentsen before he passed, there is no spot on the coast that hasn't been fished by someone, sometime. You might think it's ALL yours, but someone has been there and done that before you...
Those worried about your spot being "burned", get over it...
Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
Damn you Frank for burning all those spots!
I still say, and even talking with Al Bentsen before he passed, there is no spot on the coast that hasn't been fished by someone, sometime. You might think it's ALL yours, but someone has been there and done that before you...
Those worried about your spot being "burned", get over it...
Or take up bowling, maybe gardening.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:08 PM

A lot of the hot spots in the book were penned by local B&Ts. I wrote it, all three of them, moving up or down the coast in order and when a proprieter gave me the dope on a spot, I checked it with the next guy to make sure everybody was saying the same thing. They usually were. (usually in the sense that I do not mean all inclusive)
Old 05-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Here is an excerpt from the book's introduction:

The main criteria for the selection of these hot spots are their productivity and accessibility. I define productivity here as a surfcaster?s potential for success as compared with other locations. Success, of course, can be based upon the catching of any number of gamefish, and these can be ranked according to species most often sought, those most important. The guiding considerations in species selection, which should surprise no seasoned saltwater angler, are, in rank order: striped bass, bluefish, weakfish, blackfish, fluke, bonito, and porgy. While this leaves out some species, I think the spirit of my intent has been served. Of course, if stripers were the only game in town, we would be limited to them alone. Indeed, with some exceptions, if it isn?t a striper spot, it doesn?t count. However, so often, a place that appeals to one fish appeals to another, as is the case when adding bluefish and weakfish. Similarly, some locations where the striper is locally important have a unique run of another species and the secondary gamefish is often overlooked; still another is famous for blackfish but overlooked for its fine striper fishing. I have tried to cover all that is known
Old 05-13-2012, 02:34 AM
SS/Veteran

Never heard of spot burning until I began reading this web site.
Where I fish at Hatteras, there ain't no more spots to be burned. The ashes were washed away years ago. But, and I know that in your vast amount of fishing spots for Stripers from Virginia to Maine, there are still places that may not be known to many fishermen.
To me, here down under, spot burning would be like if I found a hole on ramp 34 one night that everybody knew about, but that I happened to strike it lucky on, by myself, and a couple others on a certain night tide, and then one of us blabbed to a tackle shop the next day, then that would be a reason to call in the Chicago mob, or BIG AL.

MULE.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:05 PM

The Internet has spawned a lot of me-too-ism. Many sites commonly have book threads and some of the posters just repeat what they have read before, even pretend to have read these books. The spot burning thing is way overblown. So are the books for that matter. I mean, all you need is a road map to look at the geography and a child can see the places where the sea narrows or where it flows out of a bay or river. Hot spot selection is not rocket surgery .
Old 05-13-2012, 01:39 PM
SS/Veteran

Ya, got that right. When I moved to the Cape I bought a copy of the Cape Cod Atlas. It showed every beach, road, path, landing, brook, pond, etc. on the cape. That was my bible for shore fishing. Fortunately, I was able to connect with an old friend from Cape Ann who had been born on and had retired to the cape and knew every fishable inch of CCBay, Viyard and Nantucket Sounds. He was my atlas for boat fishing. We went at least once or twice a week in either his or my boat.
BillH
Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 PM

The original Hot Spots book sold well and had a number of subsequent printings. When it went out of print I got the rights back from the first publisher then expanded it with more locations and went further south. A consequence of that was there were so many "spots" that we decided to offer two versions -- New England and Mid-Atlantic. It seemed to me that most southern stripermen would never go way north and a Massachusetts person would not likely go to OBX. So it was a waste for both groups. The exception was the deviding line of Connecticut where a Jersey person might go or a Mass person might fish. Split like this Connecticut seemed to belong in both. Inasmuch as the books were a little on the small side, including Conn. in both solved a lot of problems. The present day Striper Hot Spots is so new that I don't have a full feel for how well it is selling. But because the original sold well, it is reasonable to assume it is going well.
Name:  NIF-T-50.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  104.1 KB
Old 05-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

And just where did you find that plate Frank? I know it wasn't yours...
Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
The original Hot Spots book sold well and had a number of subsequent printings. When it went out of print I got the rights back from the first publisher then expanded it with more locations and went further south. A consequence of that was there were so many "spots" that we decided to offer two versions -- New England and Mid-Atlantic. It seemed to me that most southern stripermen would never go way north and a Massachusetts person would not likely go to OBX. So it was a waste for both groups. The exception was the deviding line of Connecticut where a Jersey person might go or a Mass person might fish. Split like this Connecticut seemed to belong in both. Inasmuch as the books were a little on the small side, including Conn. in both solved a lot of problems. The present day Striper Hot Spots is so new that I don't have a full feel for how well it is selling. But because the original sold well, it is reasonable to assume it is going well.
Attachment 11378
FRANK-----YOUR STRIPER HOT SPOTS BOOK DID A FINE-FINE JOB ON US DOWN-UNDERS-----NO QUESTION ABOUT IT.

MULE.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
And just where did you find that plate Frank? I know it wasn't yours...
The plate is on the wall of a fish and chips take out joint in Woonsocket,RI. Right across the street from the gin mill where my friend Eddie bit the bartender's ear off before he killed him