Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 11-11-2003, 02:46 PM

Those "joints" you're referring to are usually wrapped with size D thread on most custom rods. I have custom rods built that way that are older than you, and caught their first thousand fish before you were born. The reason the reel seat comes loose has NOTHING to do with any support issues--it is because it was poorly attached in the first place.

Otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about----and I have serious doubts whether you do either.

IMO what your picture "shows" is a crack in the felx coat covering the wraps, not in the rod blank.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:02 PM

OK 10 points for being an old man, now lets get back to rods. All I am saying is the rods I own that have no grips in this location (I own enough to prove my theory) all have this problem. All the owned with the grip (I own more the enough to prove my theory) don't have this problem. Not all are St. Croix. I have seen plenty of rods with pretty colors with the same damn problem. The little striper logo and color thread doesn't make the rod any better trust me. I know people who build rods and I wouldn't mind giving them business if I thought it was worth it. It's seems to me the most people think its cool to know a rod builder and find that more important then owning a quality rod. IM not mocking that. Its fine with me. But don't sit here and try to tell my what I and many other people have dealt with isn't a real issues. I get no thrill out of photo graphing cracks in rods I paid over $150.00 for. The purpose of it is to prevent other people from having to do it. If you can't accept that I don't know what to tell you cause from the post above it's too late for you to grow up!
Old 11-11-2003, 03:06 PM

Oooh ten points for being an old man. You better respect your elders boy. DeeJay is among the most knowledgable on this board.

You must be a real ignoramous if youve upset him.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:19 PM

I respect every one on this board. Unfortunately most others don't. From what I see many people come here looking for help and rarely get any. When someone does help every one just criticizes. If you don't agree with what I say fine! Post something better, then move along. If you atttck me for trying to help I will attack back it is as simple as that. I don't post a message unless I feel I know what I am talking about. Others post just to be part of every thread on the board. These are the same people who rarely have anything worth saying. I need to learn to ignore them. That is my down fall. Again I apologize for that!
Old 11-11-2003, 03:21 PM
Mad Russian Scientist

KMB, you need to join penis enlargment group ASAP.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:27 PM

Superfly I agree. Irish curse got the best of me. Mind if I use you as a reffernce?
Old 11-11-2003, 03:33 PM

KMB - the EVA grips are pure comfort / decoration and lend ZEROstructural integrity to the rod. The transition from the expoxy over the cork tape to the real seat has more to do with keeping the "decorative" cork tape from unwrapping and add another place to put awful colors. A properly built up and installed reel seat will have no tangable benefits on how the cork tape is done on either end. Some of the most common causes of real seat failure are a result of not cleaning the mold release agent from the seat before installing, not scouring the inner surfaces of the seat for the epoxy to build up on, and not properly building up the difference between the ID of the seat and the OD of the blank. The fact is that NONE of those issues that might cause a premature failure of the seat - like spinning on the blank - are visible from outside of the rod. Its all INTERNAL. That's it. Sounds to me like you should stop buying off the rack, unfitted St Croix rods and otherwise find another builder to handle your cusrtom stuff becuase from what I see here, you clearly don't know much about rod building. Funny thing is on one of my schoolie rods - a St Croix I built - that has caught thousands of fish (schoolie rod being for fish up to 20#s & blues to 13 on that stick so far) doesn't even have epoxy at the ends of the tape. The tape I used was the Loomis style tape and on both ends it's wrapped with three year old electrical tape as it povides ZERO structural support to the handle.

quote:
Personally I don't care what any one buys. All I can do is offer good advise.
If you wish to offer good advice on rod building perhaps you should know more before engaging thy mouth.

Surfcaster Trapped in a Boaters Body
Old 11-11-2003, 03:36 PM

KMB---you're a poser. Pure and simple. When you post what you've read in St Croix ads, you sound fine. Except those of us who've been there, doine that know you're regurgitating tackle ads. When you try to wing it, like you've done in this thread, it's just plain funny. Normally I would have ignored it and laughed, but when you insult the work of trained craftsmen who build custom rods with half-baked ideas, it gets my Irish up.

And I'm not even Irish.

Oh yeah---that "you're an old man" nonsense---it's the refrain of every poser who ever posted on the internet when someone calls him on it. You're too old to fall back on the other standard line, "but I'm just a kid, stop picking on me"
Old 11-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Mad Russian Scientist

quote:
Originally posted by KissMyBass:
Superfly I agree. Irish curse got the best of me. Mind if I use you as a reffernce?

You can't. There is a size limit, so I was not accepted.
You on the other hand, will be a regular customer.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:47 PM

I don't try to take credit for the info I supply that is already supplied by St. croix In most cases I add a link to were I gathered the information from so other people can learn about it as well. I took back what I said about the craftsman ship of the builder mentioned. I do make mistakes. The main point of the post wasn't to attack any builder but a specific building method. That is what I pointed out when I apologized.
Again you are keeping this thread alive by simple arguing useless material.
If you want to prove my statement wrong please send us some clear photos of some of your 26+ year old rods (as im 26 and your rods are older then me) in the locations I have pointed out. That there would be an effort to post something better then what I had to offer. So far you proved nothing to me or any one else about anything I had to say.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:55 PM

Buy me a digital camera if it's that important to you.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:01 PM
spence

quote:
Originally posted by KissMyBass:
The main point of the post wasn't to attack any builder but a specific building method..

Made perfectly clear when you described how your...
quote:
brain just got dizzy from the ugly thread colors.

This thread isn't a waste of space. If you feel this is a design flaw, and it isn't...wouldn't you be better off understanding why your rods have failed?

-spence
Old 11-11-2003, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the input KMB. I'll keep it in mind.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:20 PM

One last time for the slow people! If you think im attacking rods to push ST. Croix please explain to the forum why the first doezen or so times I mentioned this rod problem, I was referring to it on St. Croix rods. This should get interesting. I don't care if Jesus Christ Built my rods. If they don't hold up they suck!
Old 11-11-2003, 05:07 PM

One last time from us slow people - reread what you wrote with an untempered mind and you might visualize the optical rectumitis of your statements here. Nothing personal, don't know you and probably will never meet you but all I'm saying is that your advice was wrong, your conclusions also incorrect. You may have a point about St Croix rods but the path you used to get to your point was incorrect. Perhaps you should spend less time looking for joints and more time fishin'

Jesus Christ would have removed the mold release agent...

Surfcaster Trapped in a Boaters Body