Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Cape Cod Canal -- Hard Luck Ole

"i need to start learning the canal. so far i've been there twice once after a night of getting rain in my face in falmouth i knew it was the wrong time (8 am) tried to find a spot, settle in and pitch a lure out.after 3 casts i realized this wasn't the charles river my lure just got pushed back into the rocks repeatedly. second time coming home again only this time i took my girl out for the night (that way i didn't come home empty handed) and just red striper surf so i checked out the east end mainland side i believe it was scusset beach, huge jetti that seemed very intimidating and to the left the beach ,low tide birds working the beach ( i think they were getting worms because they had their beaks in the sand and i took what i could from reading your book only once and tried to read the beach,what i read was there is a lot of current there,maybe too much for what i know,also there are two different bays feeding this monster and a whole lot of ground to cover." Ole

You seem to have two areas of the East End tangled. The Canal and the Scusset Beach on the north side of the jetty. Treat them separately. Your efforts should be directed to the Canal. Use the Boston tide chart for timing and I will refer to tide the same way. You want to climb down in the dark at the last amber street light, then go east or left at low tide on the Boston chart. Canal currents will be flowing right to left. Known as Pip's Rip, this is a good spot when low tide coincides with the dawn. So you want an 11:00 PM high, a 5:00 AM low, give or take. BTW, this is in my Striper Hot Spots book and I have written about this extensively in the Fisherman.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:32 PM
hardluck_ole

Default Re: Cape Cod Canal -- Hard Luck Ole

funny thing happened yesterday . i met my neighbor because he saw that i fish a lot so he brought me some issue's of fisherman it had your article about pip's rip . seems when i was there i was past the spot witch stinks because it was low tide when i was there have to go back and re check the area any clue about parking? it seemed to be a beach lot with an r.v camp i just want to avoid any hassle.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:32 AM

Everybody parks at the south end of the lot nearest to the Canal just east of the RV Area. The Pip's Rip article is exactly wht you need.

Reason why I reposted your question is that it is a good question that could help surfcasters here but, if it is important, it needs an appropriate title that conforms with its mission. More questions on the Canal .....?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 AM
hardluck_ole

i always have more questions. here are two, first when wading out how deep should i expect it to be? the canal is not the place i want to fall in and second,bieng as i'm not the best caster in the world i want to bring a buctail with me but i have no clue how i should fish with one there
Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 AM

If you stay east of the rocky outcropping at Pip's Rip the wading is decent. Do what your uncle did and listen to your fears and stop short of the top of your waders, shorter if the current is taking you to Billingsgate. You have to fish a large bucktail as deep as possible with a simple under-tension dead drift but that can not be taught in the verbiage of the Internet. Have a RI Popper to boogie the surface at daybreak or later. Try to look stupid to allay any fears that you might be dangerous and above all don't tell them you from Rhode Island.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 AM
SS/Veteran

My biggest problem with the spot mentioned is that everyone knows about it. I have a problem where I don't like to fish with anyone else so I have explored other areas of the canal. There are so many good spots it could make your head spin.

A good time to explore the canal is on the last of the west tide, through the low slack, and then on the first of the east tide through low tide, at night of course. (From about 2 hours after Boston high tide until Boston low tide.) Whatever you do, do not throw a 9 inch shad into the canal as it is extremely dangerous for the fish. And also, do not throw eels during/around slack and let them swim to the bottom.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 PM
hardluck_ole

i am living in rhode island but i am a mXXXXXXX grew up sneaking into fenway and the old garden for bruins games. this may explain all the questions i ask, all i knew as a kid was a street corner and a bottle of boones farm strawberry hill i do like to fish alone i just hate the b.s i find when there is more than one or two guys around me my other biggest problem is finding time to hunt the spots that nobody knows. thanks for the tips can use as many as you guys throw out......... i know im from mass i don't bow to the fish
Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 AM

The Canal is huge complicated place with a lot of spots which are all tide dependent. Other than Pips, I know little about the Canal. If I lived close to there, you can bet that I would make a study of the Ditch so that whenever I woke up screaming, I would have options, a place that works at that particular stage of tide. I think our member Back Beach is a canalist. Where he at????
Old 07-17-2009, 10:01 AM
SS/Veteran

Bounce 4 oz. Bucktail jigs on the bottom- all you really have to know.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 AM

Some guys ahve hallowed out molds to make their jigs even heavier so that they look like a lead golf ball with hair. Penetration of the water column is the big challenge in water that flies.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:08 PM

"Whatever you do, do not throw a 9 inch shad into the canal as it is extremely dangerous for the fish. And also, do not throw eels during/around slack and let them swim to the bottom. " Enlighten me please.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:08 AM

I didn't say that. I think it was Koller's way of telling our guys what works.