Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-15-2004, 07:08 PM

Check out the casting eggs.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:08 PM

Check out the casting eggs.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Nobody knows what you are talking about. My guess is that I had an article on fishing small offers with spinning and convench. Mine didn't come in yet but I always like knowing what is happening. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:35 AM

When you write articles for NEF, do you submit several at a time? You are a "regular" contributor to that particular magazine but you stated you don't know when they will run one of your stories/lessons. In the last couple of months you have had 3 or 4 very informative pieces published. I look forward to seeing if you have an article or story every week.
Yes, this weeks offering was about casting flys using eggs and other lure.

You said to use a bent nail or cup hanger to "hang" the fly on, ever put a hook on the egg to?
Old 07-16-2004, 12:14 PM

No, I don't know when they will run as it really doesn't matter. Finished articles with an editor's go-ahead are money in the bank. In general, I write most of the stuff during the winter right after hunting season. I really knock out a lot of features during that snow-to-the-window period. Since I broke my ankle, I have gone back to doing more features again.

The egg thing was once a thread here and even the eggs pictured there were a gift from one of stripersurf.com regulars. All I did was adapt it to what I already knew of a less sophisticated egg set-up. I forage for story ideas all the time -- what Woolner used to call, "the mills of the Gods." For instance, I was explaining to Momma J how people don't know a certain thing and their common error over that thing (am I being vague here?) and she asked me a few questions and I clarified and I said, "J, write that down!" Next day, after making sure that I had suitable art, the first order of a feature writer, I knocked it out while my ankle soaked in a bag of veggies.

Computers are awesome tools. Writing with an Underwood, now that is freaking horse and buggy. I don't know if I could go back to that.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:52 AM

Yes, mine came in yesterday. The last few years the Fisherman has had good graphics lay-outs -- effective use of photos. They do a nice job of taking what is submitted and getting the most out of it visually. All you have to do is see that done badly and you will appreciate what I mean.