Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues

Commercial - Recreational - Conservation Issues An open forum for the exchange of ideas and positions on current and proposed regulations in saltwater fishing and conservation.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:13 PM
SS/Veteran

Why is the subject avoided like the pleg ? If one sector goes over on there quota the overage is taken off the following {season} . Why doesn't that apply to both sectors ? Is this not the ultimate in double standards ?

Capt TB what are your thought on this.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:13 PM
SS/Veteran

Why is the subject avoided like the pleg ? If one sector goes over on there quota the overage is taken off the following {season} . Why doesn't that apply to both sectors ? Is this not the ultimate in double standards ?

Capt TB what are your thought on this.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Fishpicker,
My own uneducated thought is that commercial harvest is more regularly reported than recreational,and as soon as they go over,the door is slammed shut.Reporting for the recs lags behind,and by the time its found,everyone has forgotten about it.I dont really know...
Old 08-04-2004, 08:48 PM

Fishpicker.....some subjects are just not talked about in public, (incest, rape and lets not forget recreational paybacks!!)
If you insist on bringing this subject up Jimmy D will have you scrubbing toilets at the OGNA Headquarters!! Oopps, forgot, thats one of the Directors jobs anyway! RY
Old 08-04-2004, 10:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Is that why this very controversial topic is being avoided ??? Sorry boys It will take more then a letter writing campaign for me to be lose the seat that I hold at OHGNA.

Now why won't this work ??? If it's good for the goose then why not for the gander ????

Please could somebody please discuss this ? Whats the worst that could happen ? Ya lose your seat.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:38 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Respectfully Yours:
Fishpicker.....some subjects are just not talked about in public RY <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, some subjects are taboo... Cod...Whiting...gone...wasent me!

Was it you?

I want the truth!
Old 08-04-2004, 11:06 PM
SS/Veteran

Glad to see ya still read Rat . How are things at the club ??
Sorry but I was directing my post too a group that became totally frightened by a man who struck onto a very sore issue.

But semi related to your only ammo How many pounds of Cod and Whiting did your sector go over this past year ? I know that the Comm sector it monitored very heavily. I read several post on this and other sites stating that the anglers had a great winter with the Cod. BTW did your sector reach it's quota??
Old 08-05-2004, 12:10 AM

Why is this topic avoided? Where have you guys been for the last year and a half??? This topic started in August of 2002 at the ASMFC. By Spring 2003 Addendum VIII was out. There were public hearings in every state on the eastern seaboard. There were 4 more ASMFC meetings where the Addendum was discussed along with the public.

The simple answer to your question is no, it is not the ultimate in double standards. The commercial sector has what is proclaimed to be the best data out there. You have landings reported daily, compiled weekly and bi-weekly, and have many times the amount of money spent on your data collection as compared to recreationals. The new electronic reporting system being implemented (a mere improvement to the data that is already considered heads and tails above everything else) is larger than the budget for the entire recreational sector for several years (this one time expenditure is greater than several years of our entire budget)

We still do not even have the PRELIMINARY data for May and June of this year, and here we are on August 4. That data will not be finalized (it will continue to change either a lot or a little) until NEXT YEAR before we know what our landings supposedly were.

As I said ad nauseum during this 18 month public debate, give me the same level of data as the commercial sector and I will gladly accept paybacks.

Sorry, but this one is a day late and a dollar short. The payback argument has been aired publicly (hell, I could show you close to a dozen newspaper articles on the subject from last year just from the state of NJ) since 2002, all through 2003 right up to the December 2003 meeting where the Addendum was voted on and shot down, in no small part because of the issues I mention above. I don't mean to be short with you Picker, but to even suggest this is "not talked about" is just ludicrous, it's been beaten to death in the public arena since 2002.

Capt.TB
Old 08-05-2004, 07:29 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Tony Bogan:
it's been beaten to death in the public arena since 2002.

Capt.TB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You forgot one word Capt TB. It's been SUCCESSFULLY beaten to death in the public arena since 2002. RY
Old 08-05-2004, 07:33 AM

River Rat , Cod and Whiting are not taboo. You want to talk about them or do you just want me to say that we wiped them out? RY
Old 08-05-2004, 09:36 AM
SS/Veteran

Capt TB I was under the impression that your sector files FVTR with NMFS. Why can't they use that data after all it is the same data that we provide.

As far as the public "beatin this to death" Damm straight they did it is far easier to point a finger then take responsibility.

How about the great shark killer down here that has been made a hero for bringing in a protected shark. "Long Fin Mako" Nice picture and write up in the paper. If that would have come off one of our decks the cuffs would have been slapped right on us. Instead he is made into a King. Double Standard ya got to agree. The worst part is He tried to sell it. Luckily the dock knew what it was and said no thanks. My next point is if Rec Anglers can sell there catch then why do we waste money on permits???Again another Double Standard ya got to agree !!!

Capt TB My point of this whole thread was to show just how Greed , Money , Ego and Corruption is and has destroyed fishing. How the bigger question is how can we fix it???
Old 08-05-2004, 11:00 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Respectfully Yours:
River Rat , Cod and Whiting are not taboo. You want to talk about them or do you just want me to say that we wiped them out? RY <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RY,

You know what I want!
Old 08-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Mr. River Rat, Is it true that you plunged your hand into a Tuna and snatched out it's still beating heart and then ate it?

If so what was that like?

Old 08-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Benny,
The only way RR would have done something like that is in the bowl of tuna salad at the Yacht Club,and I dont think they leave the heart in there...It was probably a hunk of celery,and when he bit it and it crunched,he felt REAL good! AND THATS THE TRUTH!!!
Old 08-05-2004, 06:44 PM

Ragman will never know the thrill of the kill on the high seas.

The lawn chair and bucket just dont cut it.

That Tuna fought the good fight and died to feed the many. Bent knows what I'm sayin'

I love thr taste of still beating Tuna hearts in the morning.... tastes like VICTORY!