Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Computers, etc

Computers, etc Computers, Networking, Printers, Electronics, TV's, SAT Radio, iPods and why you too hate Microsoft.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:17 AM

Default HDTV help

I am thinking about getting a new TV and figured if I do I might as well get an HDTV. I have Comcast with just the Basic Extened cable ( non Digital ) in Ocean County, NJ. In my searching for Tv's I have found people saying that with certain HDTV's with different built in tuners they can get the local ( CBS, NBC, CBS, FOXNY PBS and some others ) HD broadcasts in HD with out any extra box. Has anyone been able to do this?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Default Re: HDTV help

If it has a built in HD tuner yes you can pick them up over the air, but to get them thru the cable pretty sure you will need the box so if you have poor reception and no longer have a TV antena on your roof you will not be able to watch HD.

Starting Feb. 2009 all TV will be broadcast in Digital so you will need to get the box, unless you just want to watch the over the air chanels. Their was a date that all new TV's have to have a built in digital tuner, (diffrent then HD) but old stock in the store may not have them. Older TV's you will need the cable box or buy a analog to digital converter.

Hope I explained it clearly, more on the switch over to digital can be found at: dtv.gov

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 PM

They also sell HD converters for HDTV's that do not have a built in tuner.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 11-27-2007, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have it figured out now. I just need to get a box from comcast, and then I can get just the local HD channels. I was getting confused with the over the air part. It just didn't make sense with HD and an antenna, but i got it now. Thanks