Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Computers, etc

Computers, etc Computers, Networking, Printers, Electronics, TV's, SAT Radio, iPods and why you too hate Microsoft.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Default Time for a new desktop

My current Dell home computer is going on 8 years old, guess its time for a new one, I am running XP and have never been scared to rip it apart and replace/upgrade stuff but I think its maxed out and pretty sure the video card is going.
Well I have been out of the loop so instead of reading a lot I'm gonna hope to get the quick answers from this wonderful fishing site. Not much of a gamer have a rarely used XBOX360.
Was looking at a Dell XPS with 250GB hard drive 2GB SDRam and a Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E4300 $1100. Anything else I need/should have? Have read here and heard other horror stories about Dell suport, still aproblem? who else should I look at? Vista still bugy?

Was also thinking Apple iMac 20", but don't really know much about them I know they come with Intel chips, can you run PC software? I deal with a lot of word and excel programs being emailed to me, will I be able to open them? Run Excel or word? what would I do if I needed to send someone something with a PC? Is it easy or even posible to tranfer files from pc to Mac? Music and Photos, can I burn them to a disc and upload them on the apple? Will I need a new wireless router? will I still be able torun a pc laptop off the network? Why is the 2GB RAM upgrade $175 and the 3GB jumps to $750? Will I need a new printer? my epson is about a year old.

Thanks in advance

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 05-31-2007, 01:20 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Time for a new desktop

my son has Dell (not sure which model but I think it might be the XPS) w/ Vista and no problems to date. Dell support was great to straighten out some early firmware issues (caused the keyboard to lockup hard with no explanation). After that (now on 4 months) no problems at all.

The macs have a windows pc adapter requiring (if I recall correctly) you to install XP itself, but then run the office programs straight. Not sure how the mac office programs work w.r.t. compatibility, but I'm sure one of the macophiles around here will respond.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Mac pros are relatively no spyware/virus issues, better graphic arts/audio/video editing and yes they can be made compatible with Microsoft office applications. You will just have to learn where everything is. It's not hard from what I'm told.

Dell is still the best deal for PC's. Customer support has improved tremendously within the last couple of years. It is always prudent and smart to maintain an extended warranty.

DO NOT DO VISTA. It's the next Windows Me.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Sorry about the double post, guess I need a new work one as well, crashed, wasn't their repost come back now theirs 2
erase erase erase http://www.stripersurf.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24288

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 06-01-2007, 08:31 AM
SS/Insider

I still like Dells. I have made sure that every computer I have purchased for the office has been a Dell. My Dell at home is only 2 years old and runs great. Tech support is ok. Haven't had to deal with tech support much. Had a computer that the power supply died at work and had a new one 2 days later.

Like Benny said, make sure to pick up the extended warrenty, it's well worth it.

The computer you described sounds like it'll suit you fine. If you plan on running games on it make sure it's got a good video card. I'm pretty sure the XPS systems all have decent cards but I could be wrong. RAM upgrades are a funny thing $$wise... Check the specs for the system. If it has DIMM slots and they are giving you 1GB X 2 you could always purchase a 1GB stick yourself. Just remember, any upgrades you do yourself voids thier warrenty if they come out to fix your system!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:34 PM
SS/Veteran

The XPS is definitely a nice rig, but it's way overpriced. You're basically paying for the XPS case You can customize a Dell Dimension for the same price and I promise satisfactory performance. I still have my Dell Dimension 9100 which I use for a couple PC games I still play here and there.

As for customer support, I deal with them at least once a month. My mother has a bad habit of frying the office PC. They are, in my opinion, still idiots. No you will not be speaking with an American. Yes, You can expect a call from India.

Seriously, Go with the Dimension and customize it the way you like. One other thing: Dell may claim their XPS is "quiet", but I can promise you one loud PC after about a month. I had to replace all the fans after 6 months because I couldn't hear myself think. Dell overclocks the graphics cards which causes excessive heat in the case.

Stay away from vista

Member - Jersey Shore Surfcasters
Old 06-01-2007, 11:15 PM
SS/Veteran

Only advice i will give is buy it from costco , anything wrong with it 6 months no questions asked , take it back for whatever reason . + 2 year warranty from dell
Old 06-01-2007, 11:17 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

saosin,

all I can say is when I spoke with the dell service guy, he wasn't indian (I deal with them every day for work) and second my son's xps is at least 3 months old... and still quiet
Old 06-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

I wouldn't pay for a Dell XPS. As SAOSIN suggested if you want a Dell then buy the Dimension. They are easy to work on, plenty of room for an extra hard drive, or expansion cards plus its easier to get at the components or adding memory. I would buy a Dimension with 1MB or 2MB RAM, and then buy additional memory from Crucial.com. That will save you a bundle of money.

Get Windows XP not Vista, I know of three big companies in Princeton and a big Lab that shipped back all the new PC's they ordered with Vista installed. My wife's company is one of the Big Three providing online banking and bill payment for banks, finance companies, utilities etc. They won't even test Vista until 2009, at the earliest. Between now and then I think they will switch over 100% to Linux and be done with Microsoft CRAP forever.

Dell uses Maxtor hard drives which are well known as real crap. I've replaced mine with Western Digital and added a second.

One thing you might consider spending extra on is a better video card with DVI (Digital Video Inputs). Call to confirm that's what your PC will have installed. The 256 MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro is worth the extra money, and even then its not much.

Dell's LCD monitors are very highly rated. If you have the $$$ opt for the 24" UltraSharp 2407WFP Wide-Screen Black Flat Panel Monitor, LCD, it's rated as one of the top 100 PC products of 2006. It will blow you away.

The image below is what I would buy if I wanted a Dell. I would NOT pay extra big bucks for extended service - Home/Home Office Service is still outsourced and SUCKS. Business buyers service is here in the US and is good.

If I was buying a new computer it would be a iMAC, or a MAC laptop no doubt they are far superior products. Once I got over de-learning the crap from Windows systems I realized what a naturally intuitive and easy system to use and their design is simply brilliant.

As far as compatibility with Excel and Word I use a FREE software package made for MACS that is SUPERIOR to Microsoft Office for MAC. Yes its 100% free, includes Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Database, Presentation and Drawing. You can open any MS Office product, work on it and save it in MS Office format. NeoOffice http://www.neooffice.org

You can also run the Windows XP OS and Windows software on a MAC with a package called Bootcamp. I don't think I'm going to bother since I want to eventually do away with all MS Windows software and NeoOffice works fine.

Do yourself a favor and visit an Apple store. Don't be put off by all the people buying freaking iPods or a haughty jerk sales clerk. If they were really superior they wouldn't be a freaking clerk. Just tell them your basic needs and go from there. If you buy from an Apple store you get free training.

Finally did you know Dell has announced a change in their marketing strategy? They announced it before they announced laying off 8,000 employees (10% of workforce). No longer just mail order, pretty soon you can buy a Dell at your local Walmart. Now that tells me something...............

Last note - IF I REALLY WANTED Windows based PC I wouldn't buy any brand name, I would call Jess and ask him to build one for me. Better components = Better Product.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bob D'Amico : 06-02-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Say No To Vista!!!!

Dell is a good product, but you can dual boot with Mac's, and they are bullet proof. I would go with the Mac and run both O/S's on it. That is my next project once I get the new house.

I can assure you, Vista sucks. As a computer professional, I can tell you that this o/s, is a big pain in the XXX. Printers are still a big issue, and God forbid you decide to keep all of the new security features enabled.

"Is it OK that I tell you this", " are you sure", "are you absolutely sure"?

Vista sucks and like others are saying, it may be the ME of 2007.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:56 AM
SS/Veteran

Actually, Most would recommend NOT installing windows on a partion of your Mac. I already spoke with one of the employees at the Mac store, and he led me in the right direction.

When you install Windows on a Mac, you're now vulnerable to Spybots, Virus', and key loggers, which is why a lot of people buy Mac's.

If you install Crossover or Microsoft Virtual PC, you can run any Windows XP compatible programs on your Mac. This is the route I would recommend because it's safe and you won't have any headaches

Member - Jersey Shore Surfcasters
Old 07-02-2007, 11:16 PM

I just got my new machine with Windows Vista.

All i can say is Vista is awesome. This is defiantly no Windows ME.

Vista located all of the correct drivers for my add on hardware automatically. Network set up was a breeze, with the exception of the default workgroup being named WORKGROUP instead of MSHOME.

You can get away from all the security prompts by logging on as an admin, or disabling User account controls as easily as clicking on the users account icon and clicking "Turn user account controls on or off". from anywhere in Vista, it can be accessed in a few clicks.

Name:  UserAccounts.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  49.9 KB

In theory it will prevent hijacks from malware.

Vista works hand in hand with Norton, no more disabling windows security when promted by Norton, the machine knows what to do. i did a security test on my network, and even with some of the enhanced security features disabled, my network passed every test with flying colors.

As far as printer drivers, mine worked fine! I suppose that many older printers might be an issue, but what are you going to do.

You can run another OS as a virtual machine without the dual boot hassles. open a window and your in Linux another OS-X. I used to do the dual boot on Windows 98 (I think) and it sucked. You had to reboot to change OS. I only ran it for program compatibility issues with some software i designed. I would have loved virtual machine back then.

My Machine is Dell Dimension 9200, my 4th Dell computer, none has ever blown a hard drive, nor have any of them become noisy.

The worst thing was a fried motherboard on my 3 year old computer which i found a new case and power supply on E-bay for $89 bucks and switched out the processor HD etc. Forget the extended warranty if you can change parts yourself, Dell parts are readily available and cheap to buy.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Last edited by CarpenterSteve : 07-03-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:36 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Thumbs up Re: Time for a new desktop

Good luck with the new PC. Sounds like Microsoft's Vista engineers are continuing the long running Microsoft strategy of ripping apart and copying the features of Apple's OS.

Hell I remember the very first Windows. What an abomination!

I decided today that my next PC is not going to be a Dell or any other name brand. I'm going to build it myself. 500GB RAID drives with a super Nvidia video card and three big monitors, just like Al Gore.

Jess is going to help with the engineering design and parts recommendations.

He doesn't know that yet so keep it a secret.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:47 PM

LMAO, i didn't know Jess builds PC's

In actuality, many of the current features of OS-X and Vista were originally made public during the development of Longhorn, which after dying and being born again, became Vista. Both sides give and take.

I dreaded this OS when i ordered it, after hearing some of the comments, i was a bit worried that none of my software would work, my hardware would need replacing, my network would be a disaster.

It was all unfounded. Simple Microsoft bashing. Vista is rock solid, easy to use, secure and loaded with superb new features and is supported by the greatest library of software offered for purchase of any operating system in the world hands down.

I had windows 3.1, then wfw3.11. Things sure have come far since then.

Opt for Vista above XP. It is hardware hungry, but in a new PC, there is no doubt it is a superb choice. Sorry to disagree with you boys, but I am actually running Vista, and all of your dire warnings were unfounded.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 07-23-2007, 10:17 PM

What would you get for under 2k, if you wanted to do some gaming?