Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire

Fishing - Maine & New Hampshire Maine & New Hampshire Fishing Reports and Information

Old 05-19-2000, 10:50 AM

I heard a rumor that the schoolies are here? and also does anybody know about there is no "Catch & Release" season this year in Maine?
Old 05-19-2000, 10:50 AM

I heard a rumor that the schoolies are here? and also does anybody know about there is no "Catch & Release" season this year in Maine?
Old 05-21-2000, 01:31 AM

Yes schoolies are here. Not very many, but numbers growing day by day. Fish are real healthy and fat right now. The reason for no "Catch and Release" season is because this year, you can keep a fish anytime after May 15. It used to be June 1. Im not sure when it ends though. Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2000, 01:38 AM

I stand corrected. In Sunday's paper there was an article about striper fishing in Maine. You can keep a bass anytime between April 1 and December 31.
Old 05-22-2000, 09:15 AM

Thanks, M.S.G. What did you think about the article. Do you really think there is a decline. I have only been Striper fishing for about 5 years. Yes, I agree there is a slight decline in larger Stripers but overall there seems to be higher numbers. It will be interesting to see what this year brings and the outcome of the meetings that are being held in the next few weeks.
Old 05-22-2000, 01:39 PM

Waz up with theses dates? Unless things have changed there is a "NO KILL" zone in the Kennebec from the dam in Aguster to some point off of Pond Island and up the Sheepscot . This WAS/IS in effect until Early July. Fish can be pursued in theses areas but it is catch and release; one treble per lure and No Possession of Bait in anyform or condition.
Old 05-23-2000, 08:08 PM

Raybo, I think those rules still apply. I fish mostly in the Portland-Kennebunk area so Im not exactly sure about the Kennebec. I do know there are thousands and thousands of alewives at the Fort Halifax damn in Winslow, too bad we cant fish bait there yet.

B.C. I think the article had some good points but some was just opinion. Ive seen bass feeding with lures and hooks in their mouths, I dont think it takes them long to start feeding soon after being caught. I do think the whole Atlantic coast should obey the same striper laws. To me, it makes no sense that a 28" bass may be kept in Mass. Thanks for giving that fish a chance to get to us up here. Make our slot limit the same for every state. That way if by chance you catch a 20" bass that swallows the hook, you can take it home rather than throw it back to feed the crabs. I could talk about this forever but I also feel that a lack of big bait like pogies keeps the big bass and blues out of Maine. Maybe someone needs to concentrate more on stopping fishing for pogies. I dont know for sure, its all just my opinion, we welcome yours.