Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:47 PM

What kind of snap do you guys use for your tins?

I have some Charlie Graves and they fit the duolock (size 54, I think) and once I put that snap on I use it for everyting else like Kastmasters, Hopkins, etc., but am not sure if I am getting the best action.

I do a lot of surfcasting on the bottom for fluke and weaks, and unfortunately sea robins.

Just wondering how you attach your tins (for all kinds of tins and fish).

mudman
Old 11-11-2003, 12:47 PM

What kind of snap do you guys use for your tins?

I have some Charlie Graves and they fit the duolock (size 54, I think) and once I put that snap on I use it for everyting else like Kastmasters, Hopkins, etc., but am not sure if I am getting the best action.

I do a lot of surfcasting on the bottom for fluke and weaks, and unfortunately sea robins.

Just wondering how you attach your tins (for all kinds of tins and fish).

mudman
Old 11-11-2003, 01:22 PM
spence

I just use a small split ring and tie directly to that - spence
Old 11-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Administrator

I tie the leader directly to the metal. 36' to 40' leader then a barrel swivel. Works for me. JOe

Its 4 hours for me to drive to fish the surf. I do it often. It will always be worth it.!!
NJBBA #4051
Old 11-11-2003, 03:00 PM

Small split ring, mono leader tied directly with uni or improved clinch, does it for me.

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll piss away the kids' tuition fund on fancy equipment he doesn't need, stay out late at night, come home smelling like a dead mackerel, and start hanging around with some really questionable characters."
-- the Ex
Old 11-11-2003, 03:30 PM

When there isn't a split ring involved its best to use a loop. The DUCAN LOOP is probally the best. I would post some diagrams but I want to and see if any of the so called experts go though the effort but, don't hold your breath!
Old 11-11-2003, 03:33 PM

Also when tying line to a split ring make sure it is on the double wire, and not the groove or the ends of the wire ring will destroy your line!
Old 11-11-2003, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Kiss, I'm interested in the diagram or if anyone else has a better way than me. I just use a uni knot tied directly to the plug or metal. JOe

Its 4 hours for me to drive to fish the surf. I do it often. It will always be worth it.!!
NJBBA #4051
Old 11-11-2003, 03:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KissMyBass:
When there isn't a split ring involved its best to use a loop. The DUCAN LOOP is probally the best. I would post some diagrams but I want to and see if any of the so called experts go though the effort but, don't hold your breath!

Aw, did I hurt widdle kmb's feewings?

I don't have any books of knots. I only use three and I remember how to tie them even tho I'm an old man . So post what you got.

Just out of curiousity---how do you keep the knot from sliding over to the split area on a split ring

[This message was edited by DeeJay on 11-11-03 at 04:14 PM.]
Old 11-11-2003, 04:38 PM

I attemped to draw a diagram of a DUCAN LOOP and failed. I did a google search and here is a great set of diagrams. It also turns out the DUNCAN LOOP is also a "uni knot" or atleast thats what this site says. I always knew it as a DUCAN LOOP.
http://www.killroys.com/knots/duncan.htm

To DeeJay in my above post I stated a loop when not using a split ring. If you use a loop there is no controll over the matter. Also there is no need for the loop. I left out what knot to use on a split ring, an improved clinch will do. If you tie this exactly opposite the gap you should not have a problem with it moving.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:00 PM

I feel more comfortable with a good strong coastlock snap as I have had duolocks come open and lost a $15 pencil popper and a Kastmaster.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:12 PM

A friend once told me that using a snap with metal (he told me it applies to Hopkins more than any other type of metal) actually makes the action of the lure different and less appealing to fish than when you tie direct. Anybody else ever hear this theory?
Old 11-11-2003, 06:19 PM

BBM that is correct. Most lures will suffer with terminal tackle. This doesnt include split rings that come standard on certain lures.
I use 5 feet leader as to leave enough room between the lure and teaser. At the end of the leader I use a barrel swivel. Some guys with worse OCD then I have wont even use the swivel!
Im am a bait man by default but the times I do use artificials I get maximum results.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:38 PM

Gemini link clip.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:38 PM

I just did a google search http://gemini-tackle.co.uk/clips.htm
Im not sure if this is what you are talking about but Id like to hear more about it if it is. Looks interesting.