Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Togalicious Moderator

Default Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??

Fishing next to me. If I can't make you look like a compentent surfcaster, nothing nor no one will
Old 03-02-2008, 10:49 AM

Instead of "quality surfcaster", how about someone who really loves fishing. One who will go stand in a stream in rain so hard it was coming up from the water. Fly fishing in a snow storm just to check out the new fly they bought. Going to the beach to find it blowing 30 knots with 6-8 ft seas, and they still went and fished. I can speak of these situations because I have done them all and then some. I may not be as good as some others who may get out there more often, but I am coming .

Seriously, even though I am still fairly new to surfcasting (2004), my love of fishing dates back to my 6th birthday back in 1976 when I got my first pole. I have not looked back since. I read as much as I can about fishing regardless of my successes, and I have had many. I am always looking for new ways to catch all types fish, fresh or salt. As long as someone loves being out there fishing, I consider them a fisherman/woman. That is what I define as a quality fisherman/woman to me.

If they are standing on a beach with a desire to catch those striper's, then the are a surfcaster.

Scott
Old 03-03-2008, 08:09 PM

Thumbs up Re: What makes a quality surfcaster??

I am definately not a quality surfcaster, and don't pretend to be. I know enough to get by, tie my own rigs, and enjoy fishing for stripers during a time when they already left (August), but you keep on trying for the rogue who just doesn't want to run away like the rest, a local. Instead, I'm blessed with the double sea robin, double dogfish, or double skate, with the fair share of blues and fluke thrown in to make my season enjoyable. But, the real quality that I feel every surfcaster should have is living by the rules. I put back fish that were too close or just 28 cause it's what your suppose to do. I hate seeing people pulling up shorts and keepin em whether is fluke, stripers, or whatever just cause you know you won't get caught, or don't know the rules and limits.
Quality surfcasters? From the articles that are posted on this website, and the information that is exchanged here every day, I think this website is loaded with em ? Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:43 PM

Just came accross this old thread. 'm definitely not the "quality" surfcaster but striving to be is what it's about. Quality is a funny thing. You can't really define it but you will know it when you see it.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:14 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottog View Post
Fishing next to me. If I can't make you look like a compentent surfcaster, nothing nor no one will
I resemble that!
Old 12-22-2014, 01:38 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I will say that a "Quality" surfcaster shares one characteristic of a "Quality" angler:

ALWAYS BE PREPARED

I lost a fish of a lifetime *twice* due to correctable equipment failure. (one a striped bass, and one a fluke)

Really due to a lack of preparedness each time.

Each and every time out, expect that this could be the fish of a lifetime. Don't go shabby. Double check knots, leaders, terminal tackle, rod, reel, lure/bait/rig.

Cast as if your life depends on it. Pay attention. One can relax but be ready at the same time.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:06 PM
SS/Veteran

Know and study your adversary, learn everthing you can about what you are fishing for. Some of it is luck, but, they are creatures of habit, and if you keep a good log, you can meet them on a certain, day, or time, or wind, or tide, in that same place you been meeting them in the past years.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:18 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayyaker View Post
Know and study your adversary, learn everthing you can about what you are fishing for. Some of it is luck, but, they are creatures of habit, and if you keep a good log, you can meet them on a certain, day, or time, or wind, or tide, in that same place you been meeting them in the past years.
John skinner said something in a article, "there may not be any secret spots,but there are definitely secret patterns. Words well spoken
Old 12-27-2014, 11:39 AM

I think quality is this way. Learning all you can about what you love to do, Never quit learning. Trying to full fill goals. Knowing the law's of what your after, and being aware of the people you are around. Big thing is not being a slob hunter or fisherman. We have enough of them.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:11 PM

If a surfcaster can learn something of value that can be taught to other surfmen he brings quality to our craft. For instance, I once learned that bass will dig in the soft sand leaving round impressions half the size of a grapefruit. This is clear evidence that bass were around during the last six hours, the last tide. They were digging for, and finding, something that should bring them back the next night. I mentioned these "digs" in one of my books and having read nearly everything ever written about the striper surf, I have never seen that anywhere.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Thanks Francis, I always looked at what has happened to a beach as a product of water movement affected by structure. It never occurred to me that you may see tracks of fish, I guess that is where hunting background gives one an advantage.

Doug
Old 08-28-2017, 03:50 PM

All great comments in this thread. To me it has always #1 been just being there surrounded by nature's sights, sounds, challenges and gifts while taking advantage of the opportunities to enjoy the experience. Over the last 50+years I have pounded sand and climbed rocks (not anymore) in many spots from Maine to South Carolina meeting many people, learning much and teaching some, and occasionally being amazed by what has taken place. I have met and fished, walked, and talked with several members of this forum who have impressed me as "quality surfcasters". They care for the environment, respect and protect what they pursue, and would most likely say they would "rather be fishing".