Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Surfcasting in the Daytime

Inspite of an all out committment to night fishing, I would never drive a daytime beach without watching it very closely. Constant vigilence is a state of mind for outdoorsmen.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
The rule of thumb: Fish stipers for best results at night except when they are hitting during the day.

For blues it is best to fish anytime and especially when they are blitzing.

I should have been a politician after all my favorite color is plaid.
pretty great!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE THAT....
on a head boat I have always done best with night bluefishing off Montauk? I would not bother in the day
Sometime I have fished for hours, then the sun comes up and within an hour BAM! the only fish I have seen..then it is over. Is it the sun telling them hurry and chow down? or is it coincidence and tide?
Lots of times, because of - life style/obligations, I ma fishing at sundopwn and have to leave only to hear an hour after dark/after I left...Wah LA! fish.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelieb View Post
Lots of times, because of - life style/obligations, I ma fishing at sundopwn and have to leave only to hear an hour after dark/after I left...Wah LA! fish.
I used to get bothered by stuff like that, but not much anymore. Get to the beach after work at 0730 or so, hear "You should have been here 2 hours ago" and such. I fish when I can (usualy days due to work) and just enjoy myself. Every once in awhile you hit a good bite when most other people are working that makes up for it...
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
I used to get bothered by stuff like that, but not much anymore. Get to the beach after work at 0730 or so, hear "You should have been here 2 hours ago" and such. I fish when I can (usualy days due to work) and just enjoy myself. Every once in awhile you hit a good bite when most other people are working that makes up for it...
I hear you and feel the same... It is age I guess. I figure , what the hey , I had fun... and Murphy's law to boot.... except that and not too much to worry about.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 PM

A big part of fishing and hunting is having a healthy attitude. As long as I can go, I no longer care about proving my manhood. That is for young bucks. A lot of times I make a locations choice based upon the ease of going there. Dawn is easy, 1:00 AM is tough.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

When I got back into fishing, I also thought of the "manhood" thing. Tried fishing when I didnt have sleep at night and the like. After awhile, I realized that I was trying that stuff to keep up with those that were younger, and more able to do it. The experience was not a fun one... Now, if my son calls me on a night off and wants to fish, I will do it, unless I am too tired.
Sure, night fishing is better. However, at this stage of my life, I just enjoy the time I can spend on the beach. On my terms, and not what others say I should be doing...
Old 02-24-2010, 12:12 PM

Age is God's attitude adjustment councelor. I think it very important to know what is important. If you are studying the model number in the catalog or the knots on the line package and don't understand the interrelationship of conditions you are following in the footsteps of yuz uncles .
Old 02-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Age is God's attitude adjustment councelor. I think it very important to know what is important. If you are studying the model number in the catalog or the knots on the line package and don't understand the interrelationship of conditions you are following in the footsteps of yuz uncles .
Man, that is so true! Remember some of the off the wall, or shockwa things I used to come up with? Those things dont enter my mind much these days...
Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 AM

This past fall, a huge shoal of sand eels took up residence off the sand beaches in Montauk. Day, night, didn't matter. The fishing was ridiculous. I fished right through those two Nor'easters we got and couldn't miss. My wife would call every day and ask if I was ever coming home again. Told her "I'll get back to you on that".
Old 02-25-2010, 05:02 PM

If you have a good information lifeline you get to know when things are hot somewhere. I think the best day fishing comes in the very early spring for the small schoolies and late fall.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:36 PM
SS/Veteran

I did do a survey one time because I am one of the curious guys that wonders about things, in a nursing home walking around talking to the inmates and my question was "What is the key to long life?". Of course there were some that were non responsive (drooling in their soup), and the answer that came back often was one simple word. A pure simple word that brings everything to lite, has profound meaning and that word was simply "attitude".
Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM

A variation of additude is when a person is stressed some chemicals are sent to the heart to help you cope, sort of a flight or fight situation and when this happens too often it breaks down the body's ability to deal with the situation and causes heart desease. Notice that farmers, with their devil-may-care outlook, additude, seem to live longer as a group than say guys who live on the LIE or Garden State .
Old 02-28-2010, 08:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Merlin and Frank ...both of you are correct. The chemical is called cordisol. I used to think that it was a wive's tale that stress will kill you. But it is scientifically proven.

I appreciate your research on how to live a long life...but personally I would not have asked those questions in a nursing home. Rather I would have shouted the question over the sound of a crashing surf in the middle of the night to an old timer under the Montauk lighthouse. Or on a South Beach sidewalk to an older gent that has a hot blonde hanging on his arm.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:45 PM

There is also a lot of luck in what life hands you. This guy dies young and we blame it on his libido. Another guy dies old climbing out the window of a bordello and we blame the bouncer. I don't think you can do attribution in life any more than yur ucles did in surfcasting. There is no bait. It is too cold. It is too early. Wind is wrong.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:13 PM

I still don't believe day fishing is a good idea. But when you accidentally trip on good day fishing, its a treat. I have done so much night fishing that when I happen to beach a fish during the day, I still reach under my chin to put the light on.