Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:10 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Surfcasting in the Daytime

I like spending time throwing some "daytime lures"... Preferably early, late and cloudy days. Even if the sun comes out you get to do recon and see structure and subtle rips that are hard to spot at night.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:06 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I hear you, Meister, but you can see an awful lot at night. It is never as dark as a closet. In any given month there are at least 15 nights with some part of moon; stars contribute. And, if you fish an area regularly, you already know the bar structure and rips. When we lived on the beach, fishing out of a buggy, we were intimate with miles of beach structure. We had nights when we drove 40 miles of shore where we knew where everything was. Not only that but we drove it without headlights. This was not a special skill; it was the product of our life style. Had you lived the way we did, every person here reading this would have had those same advantages.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:02 PM
SS/Veteran

After your eyes really acclimate to the dark (I think I read that it takes a full 10 minutes) you do see more than you'd think. On dark nights when I'm doing the super-slow swimming plug retrieve, I sometimes close my eyes for the whole (fishless ) retrieve. When I open my eyes for the next cast, it seems much brighter. The daytime-recon-practice sessions are nice to differentiate whether that dark patch is gravel, weeds or a mussel bed. I've made note of subtle depressions and drop offs during daytime to return to at night.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:31 PM

Not sure why but some people just naturally do not function well in darkness. Part is fear of the darkness, maybe part is related to upbringing in environments that are never dark. I think city people are often socialized in so much light that darkness is unnatural for them. When we fished in upstate NY half the rooms kept lights or TVs on all night apparently just for the light. My wife and I want it super dark for sleeping but I know that it is not universal. On the beach I have always marveled at how surfmen will light up their neck light to walk down to the water from their buggy. Or they seem to check the buggy coming back, apparently checking for snakes. Same thing hunting. Guys will walk to their stand with a light inspite of a dull glow in the east providing enough light. They might be afraid of being shot; not sure. My wife and I go all over the woods -- fishing or hunting -- without use of a light. We carry lights but rarely for travel.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:40 PM

I've had days of non stop 25-35 lb bass when they are going crazy on big bunker. If big bunker are around you can fish at night many times and not get a scratch.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:58 AM

Not sure if I can follow your relationship with the presence of big bunker and night fishing. In a lifetime of surf fishing I have experienced very few good "days" of fishing. Do you think it might be because I lack confidence in day fishing?
Old 02-12-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Not sure if I can follow your relationship with the presence of big bunker and night fishing. In a lifetime of surf fishing I have experienced very few good "days" of fishing. Do you think it might be because I lack confidence in day fishing?
My experience with big bunker is NJ surf only. during the years 2003-2008 we were fortunate to have very good fishing on swimmers, pencil poppers etc from the surf. It was all a daytime bite....very good at dawn and dusk, but they would bite at high noon as well. The structure where I fished was jetties and some soft structure around sandy hook. Late 90's to 2002 I would catch fish at night in the spring plugging, bait fishing, some live eels etc. Once those big bunker showed up I literally caught nothing at night in my usual haunts...I strongly believe the bunker became the structure. The bass would follow them around 24 hours a day even if they were not feeding. Bunker came into to surf zone during morning or day, but I never saw them in pitch black conditions and I tried often. come darkness bass would follow the bait offshore a mile or so to wherever the bunker settled in for the evening. This was between May-July. it was both a blessing and a curse. blessing because it was unbelievable fishing....curse as it was crowded as hell and combat fishing. I had a few days where I caught over 10 bass over 30 lbs before lunch. It was insanity. all while it was light enough to recognize a buddy down the beach or on the next rockpile. I do not think it has been that good since 2010.....
Old 02-12-2016, 01:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Sometimes the same thing happens at the canal when there is big bait around. I think the bass follow the bait around all night and wait for a specific trigger to start biting, usually the current change or sunrise. I've had nights where I couldn't get a tap and then at some point in the morning the whole place erupted. Of course there are nights where they bite all night as well as in the morning.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:39 PM
SS/Veteran

Tins are a really good daytime lure. They cast well into a heavy wind, which is required to have a lot of white water to have good daytime fishing. Summertime you can definetly forget day fishing all together.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:29 PM

The Canal has always been a good day spot. I believe, but I really can't prove, that Canal depth offers bass the protection they get offshore. I have always viewed day fishing as a waste of time but the Canal the exception.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:12 AM

I love surfcasting, I fish big dorado in Spain with this technique of fishing with telescopic rods from the beach. In the area of Andalusia there are many beaches where you can fish with this modality and there are many tournaments and championships throughout the year.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:30 AM

Carumba! Spain. We never had anybody here from Spain before. Have you ever fished the beach there at night? It seems to me that if fishing in the States is better at night, then you would do better at night in Spain as well. I think I will put up a thread "Surfcasting in Spain".
Old 10-03-2017, 09:14 PM

Living on the Cape I have learned to keep rod rigged and in auto at all times (spring and fall best). Have been to beach to often and have fish blow thru only to stand and watch at waters edge during day time. Like those foggy and rainy daytime days to fish. Nice break from long nights of fishing. Crappy weather during day at Canal is great with less people casting "over your shoulder".
Old 10-03-2017, 09:57 PM

We get good daytime fishing around here when large bass are chasing bunkers. More often in Fall and Spring.
Last fall I went one morning pre dawn, around 5am, fished through sunrise, nothing. Then at around 9am 25lb+ bass started hitting poppers. It went on for a couple hours. One was 40ish pounds, and we lost a couple that felt very heavy and swam into the rocks. There was a lot of current and a rocky dropoff. It was great fun.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:11 PM

I have experienced thousands of sessions night and day fishing. No question that, given a choice, I would pick nights every time. Anybody remember "Slaughter at Pochet Hole"? That was all day fishing -- noon to 3:00 PM -- and we had fish up to 43 pounds. Its just that no one can fish all 24 hours of the day. So you choose those hours with most promise -- nights.