Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Many, but admittedly not all, fishermen also hunt. So here is a place where you can tell stories, lie about the points on your buck, complain about bear populations -- stufflikethat. Even non-hunters could chime in.

Yesterday Joyce and I did a muzzleloader fun shoot at the Pomfret (Conn) Rod and Gun Club and they had a target, only about 20 yards, where a pair of clay trap targets were evenly separated facing the shooter with an axe blade centered between the targets. The idea was to hit the cutting edge so that it would cut the ball in half and break both targets. (Ya, sure, in your dreams! Right?) Only one shooter in the whole event broke the clays, two feet apart, with one shot. Guess who....
Old 06-28-2010, 07:48 AM

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

She's good....
Old 06-28-2010, 09:03 AM

Sure is. But even someone who can shoot the nuts off a field mouse can always use a little luck.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:53 PM
SS/Veteran

ahh,a gal with a gun,the only thing sexier is a gal in waders.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM

Just saw in the news that a couple got married in a tree stand wearing their cammies. She wore a wedding gown designed by Mossy Oak.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:55 PM
SS/Veteran

It is a good thing; to have something in common with a life mate after the splender in the grass wears off with time.

In other words traveling the same road after the lust of jumping her bones has wore thin.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
It is a good thing; to have something in common with a life mate after the splender in the grass wears off with time.

In other words traveling the same road after the lust of jumping her bones has wore thin.
My friend doesn't think too highly about his wife anymore. I remember when he was bonkers over her. I told him so..He replied that he wishes it was always like that.

cindy garrison's laugh might get annoying after awhile. Although, many of us would like to test if that is true

(By the way, we should invite her on to comment on this topic. Does she have an email/website?? ..still active in the public?)
Old 07-01-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post

Its too bad that more women don't understand the value of teaming up with their husbands. The outdoors is a way out of the house and a chance to get out in the world. Instead they opt for a life that is boring and separated. Even if doing so under a pretence, if they go, they just might begin to like it. My wife, Joyce, did not start out as a whizz-bang angler and fireing a gun for the first time she closed her eyes. (To this day she can't ride a bike.) But they rise out of that and soon reap the rewards of the outdoors the same as men do.

Of course they pay an awful social price: Other women will hate them, largely because their husbands use Joyce as an example. Another, very distressing, story in itself.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Many, but admittedly not all, fishermen also hunt. So here is a place where you can tell stories, lie about the points on your buck, complain about bear populations -- stufflikethat. Even non-hunters could chime in.

Yesterday Joyce and I did a muzzleloader fun shoot at the Pomfret (Conn) Rod and Gun Club and they had a target, only about 20 yards, where a pair of clay trap targets were evenly separated facing the shooter with an axe blade centered between the targets. The idea was to hit the cutting edge so that it would cut the ball in half and break both targets. (Ya, sure, in your dreams! Right?) Only one shooter in the whole event broke the clays, two feet apart, with one shot. Guess who....
I wasn't kidding when I told this story about splitting the ball so as to break two targets. When I was told it could be done, I blew it off. My poor wife, who believes everything she is told, tried to do it and they both broke. Shooting nuts off of a field mouse is the one you are not supposed to believe.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:49 PM

Here is a tip for cleaning your muzzleloader that I learned from a shooter at the Pomfret (CT) rod and gun club:

Mix 1/3 rubbing alcohol
1/3 Hydrogen peroxide
1/3 Muphy's Oil soap

Swab your barrell with that until the patches come out clean.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:41 AM

I recall seeing a trick shooter who could dust aspirins with a 22 rifle, one after the other. His partner would toss them in the air and he'd smoke em like it was a micro-skeet range.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 AM

Some of those trick shooters are showman. John Satterwiate shoots cabages and has stuff that explodes when his gun goes off. 22 shooting of aspirons could be .22 spreads which are #12 shot or sumpin.

My wife is a decent shot, probably average with men and above average among women. But to her "trick shooting" is putting rounds into guys coming out of a whorehouse. So, of all people to split a ball on an axe bit, she would be the last our son and I would have thought of. Of course it was not her idea to do this and when it was explained as an option by the shoot master, I poo-pood it.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Some people are just natural good shooters. My son is a prime example. Never shot a gun until he went into the Coast Guard, and always qualified with a high score. Continued when he became a police officer. Gave him a snub nose 38 I had that he lusted over for an off duty weapon. Told him it was a piece of crap, and the guys at the range told him the same thing. Second try, he shot a perfect score... He did tell me I was right that the bullets tumbled and went crazy, but he compensated for it, and did well...
Old 07-07-2010, 02:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Well, when I was in basic military training way back in 69 they had a program called quick kill. You were taught this by facing your buddy about 3 feet away. The shooter would have a Daisy BB gun and your buddy would have a load of metal disks perhaps 3 inches across. The buddy would throw them in the air, short throw. long throw and the shooter would shoot at them. You would be surprised on how many dings (hits) you heard.
Of course the drill sergeant not being the smartest wick in the flame would often walk the line on the wrong side--you got it pay back time!

Something about hand eye coordination can be learned easily with practice. Ask any gunslinger from the old west.

If you bring this back home, here how many of us cast for the first time in a given year and lure bait goes elsewhere from where we are looking.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Read a great piece by David E. Petzel in Sports Afield where he says, "shoot, shoot, shoot". His premise, and I agree with it by the way, is that no matter what shooting speciality you train in, it will help you with other shooting efforts. For instance, if you shoot skeet, it will help you with pistol and so on.

Years ago I never thought we would ever shoot running deer. They are actually easier than flying ducks. Three of us do it all the time, sometimes with muzzleloaders.