Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

With me hung up like this, we have to find things to do that I can handle, like watching her shoot. Today "we" shot at Uxbridge R&G. The guys put me in an alcove with chair and blanket like an old man. Wind blew the targets all over -- higher and lower.

We have shot the whole gambit and had a long time affair with sporting clays. Did a lot of Addieville pheasants way back also.

Next Saturday will be a challenge -- opening day black powder deer. Don't think I will be able to shoot. But I might accompany Joyce and miss wallum lake target watching.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:19 AM
SS/Veteran

Remember what I said: there is a young man trapped in your old body wanting to get out. Now is the time for you to kick back and learn the new rules. Some movie said the line and I think it was a Clint Eastwood movie that a man has to know his limitations.

On these windy cold days a chair and a blanket do not seem like a bad idea watching something you enjoy. Do you get to bring a cooler with your favorite beverage? Skip the cooler and keep the chair and blanket and you would be great on a deer stand--shooting optional unless it is a racker and then you can enjoy the power surge (take a nap later).
Old 11-01-2010, 01:21 PM

I think I am somewhere between where I was and what you say, Rich. The chair and blanket, they say, is temperary. Thankfully, deer hunting can be somewhat sedantary and the less you move the better the hunting. We have some good options with short drags. What hurts is that I will lose the opening weeks of November.

I'll tell you one thing: deer hunting does not drain you like surfcasting which is for the young and the strong. The striper surf, done right, is murder.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Senior Fellow

Frank,

You'll bounce back like gum ball ---- but don't rush yourself. That new valve is going to give you more juice than you've been used to in a while. Use this fall for a complete recovery and you'll be back in the fray by spring.

Sitting in the cold is probably not the best way to recoup. Write a book or two while you're hanging around ---- let everybody enjoy your talents!!

Cheers,

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 AM

Thanks, Squid. The experience has kind of bummed me out. I've had a lot of distress, anxiety, depression.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Senior Fellow

Hey Big Guy --- the heart events are every bit as difficult with the psych as with the body. My issues were small, Rags a little bit more --- but dealing with the rebound and maintenance may be the worst part.

Can't understand it!! Part of our mind is 18 yrs old, part reflects the wisdom of our years of experience and they are both housed in a vessel that is becoming a little leaky and creaky --- but slow and steady will keep us in the game for a long time.

Just reflect on all of those crazy and intense endeavors that you have enjoyed and take solice that nobody has had more fun than you.

Pace yourself and the next 100,000 miles will be a piece of cake.

Cheers,

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 11-02-2010, 04:51 PM

Thanks, Squid. Voting today an election worker who had the same thing done told me I would come out a new man. I would have poo-pood it but I have been hearing this everywhere. I just wish I had followed up on this sooner so as to be ready for the migration and hunt season more on time. With luck we might get the last month, December.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 PM

youl be hunting in december you looked good saturday
Old 11-03-2010, 12:02 PM

You should see the pile of permits and tags we bought that we will never get to carry in the woods. Serious money.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Does Joyce need a hunting buddy? I can do that and kind of look like you on a good day. You can stay home and watch Oprah or take a nap in the pickup trying to find the heater control (I took the keys).

Enough of this tough love stuff I have read about, just do what you feel like doing and if you get tired kick back, lay down. But, I can prop you up on a stump and you can pretend you are Hatchet Jack of Jeremiah Johnson movie fame in a snow storm.

I can drag deer and field dress but get on the cell, when drag is uphill into the stars.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:10 PM

We have some handicapped accessible hunts we can do that are close enough to the road. But I am going to have to do a lot of improving before we do that. Oprah? Joyce wants to hunt short Saturday at both ends.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 AM
SS/Veteran

Well you could buy a four wheeler and solve all problems with a flick of the start switch. Tow trailer with your "buggy" eazy on, easy off trailer. Also,you can park it at my house in the off season. Two trailers here now in storage with snowmobiles aboard and I do not even own a snowmobile. Get one used at cheap price (the economy) and if you do not like it roll it over and maybe make a buck. With the optional winch you could be on the top of the toy pile list.

Just a thought you can run with!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:17 PM

Four wheelers are all banned in our region. This is temperary anyway.

Just saw a release where Vermont is going to soften their deer and moose regs -- four more days of muzzlelaoder and more moose archery.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestsquid View Post
Hey Big Guy --- the heart events are every bit as difficult with the psych as with the body. My issues were small, Rags a little bit more --- but dealing with the rebound and maintenance may be the worst part.

Can't understand it!! Part of our mind is 18 yrs old, part reflects the wisdom of our years of experience and they are both housed in a vessel that is becoming a little leaky and creaky --- but slow and steady will keep us in the game for a long time.

Just reflect on all of those crazy and intense endeavors that you have enjoyed and take solice that nobody has had more fun than you.

Pace yourself and the next 100,000 miles will be a piece of cake.

Cheers,
Al, you hit it on the nose. Just like Mark Walburg said in the movie SHOOTER, "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"

MULE.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM
SS/Veteran

Got this bright idea on how to shoot coyotes, just to put the balance of nature back to a normal. No squirrels, no rabbits and few deer around here now. Cut a shooting lane from my spare bedroom window outback to 125 yards and baited coyotes with renderings from a near by cutter. Now with trail cameras I have determined that the coyotes come through at between 2 and 3 am. By the way I have the blessing of neighborhood people to shoot on site anytime.

The plan is to string a rope from down back to here and run extension cords (old jobsite cords--Osha rejected) and install a red colored flood light over bait pile. Getting up in the middle of the night is not a big thing for me and with my 22-250 reach out and touch them.

It seems to be the winter past time around here as we hope for the other critters will come back.

Sidebar: bought ammo yesterday and had to be fingerprinted with my license to carry permit. Clerk had to walk me to the pay counter and he says he is instructed to do this even with knives purchased. Welcome to Massachusetts!

At Cabelas's in Ct, or NH stores buying ammo is like buying a can of peaches at the grocery store---Go figure!