Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

I know isn't it disgusting. They think they are preventing crime. Yet, Boston is total carnage. Now they are shooting kids 12/13 years old. No matter what they do they cannot stop the crime. Those guns laws, I am convinced, are punishment for conservatives being conservative.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:17 PM

We started hunting again yesterday. They are taking a lot of deer in RI. Lines at the check stations. It seems like the mast is distributed better this year and the deer have to move to eat. Might be a good year.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:00 PM
SS/Veteran

its the same all over frank,a 12 year old gets shot,but what is a 12 year old doing out at 2 am on a school nite?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 PM
PlugDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
We started hunting again yesterday. They are taking a lot of deer in RI. Lines at the check stations. It seems like the mast is distributed better this year and the deer have to move to eat. Might be a good year.
Frank, I've just been back on the site and read you were recovering. Good to hear things are going well and you are up to hunting. Here's a sighting for your deer count.

I was fishing the east end of the canal alone on cold night this fall, wading / fishing the gravel bar under the light east of Pips Rip, basically waiting for the tide to drop enough to fish farther out along the base of the Scusset Jetty like your last Striper Hotspot told me to do (and that has beeen some very good advice for me). Anyway, I heard a lot of noise and clattering and turned around, but could not see anyone. Heard more clicking and clattering turned and standing on the small gravel bed (high tide) right behind me, staring straight at me was a very large doe. Just stared until I walked toward her and at her own pace she then just turned and went up those rocks like nothing.

Crazy place for a deer to hang out. Lonely? Glad I had my bullet-proof Gralite waders on if it had been a lonely buck. Those deer are crazier than those stripers.

Enjoy chasing the deer, I'm scaring but not killing many grouse and woodcock this time of year.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:44 AM

Great story, Plug. What the heck a deer is doing on the end of the jetty is a wild story. We saw one cross the road near Scusset one year and it was hobbling as though it had a bad leg like it got hit by a car of sumpin.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:40 PM
SS/Veteran

I am convinced that deer suffer from some of the same diseases (infliction's) that we humans do and perhaps some of their own. One time I was curious whether Lyme Disease has any effect on the deer (the tick's primary host) but after a search (Goggle) no one seems to know or perhaps care.

I do know that the rut is in full swing and you will hear (read) of a whole bunch of cars hitting deer now.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

I had a ten-point buck in the woods behind my house last week, but my camera was in my truck and I could not get it out without spooking him.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:21 PM
SS/Veteran

They swim accross the large bays here pretty often. Once in awhile a deer is rescued by a boat guy far off the beach in the ocean. Obviously caught in the rip current. Must fight better than a striper when inside the boat!!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:01 PM

About 35 years ago, when I was fishing for trout in Wallum Lake in November, I'm fishing at dawn and a big racked buck swam across the lake to right in front of me. The rut makes them crazy and kind of stupid. Met a guy yesterday who was sitting eating a Snickers Bar and a buck walked right up to him .
Old 11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
SS/Veteran

many times i have seen deer swimming off montauks beaches,they would come ashore,then high tail it back to the woods. the locals said they did it to rid themselves of ticks. i cant see that working to good. this week i have to get my hunting stuff ready, rifle season in ny starts next week.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 PM
SS/Veteran

I asked a guy that fishes in the back marshes allot about the tick problem in there and what he does about it. He said to go wade into the water and float them off of you...

Ummm,..no thanks...I'll stick with open sandy beaches and rocks.

Anyway, good luck hunting.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:13 AM
PlugDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I am convinced that deer suffer from some of the same diseases (infliction's) that we humans do and perhaps some of their own. One time I was curious whether Lyme Disease has any effect on the deer (the tick's primary host) but after a search (Goggle) no one seems to know or perhaps care.

I do know that the rut is in full swing and you will hear (read) of a whole bunch of cars hitting deer now.

I have wondered too why the deer seem unaffected. Other animals dogs for instance contract Lyme and there is a vaccine. Unfortunately the Lyme vaccine was shown to be too risky for humans with unwanted side affects.

A year and a half ago there was the horrendous out-of control chimpanzee attack on a CT woman who's both hands and most of her face and both eyes were bitten off by her friends' long time pet chimp. It even attacked the police officers who resonded, opened the door to a cruiser and got in to attack one of the officers who finally shot and killed him.

It was later reported the chimp was being treated for Lyme disease, and the press reported that maybe the medication caused the change in the chimps behavior.

The bacteria associated with Lyme is known to sometimes hide / exist ? in brain tissue and untreated Lyme often creates neurologic problems for humans, Maybe the same happened to the chimp. Since deer seem mainly unafflicted maybe that will be the basis for a smart doctor to develop an effective Lyme vaccine?

Bird hunting puts me in contact with ticks. Starting with last years' hunting season and again this season I have treated my outer clothing (it is not put on the skin) with Permethrin / originally developed for the military, it kills ticks. Since then, no ticks to pick off my outer clothing at the end of the day!

I get my Permethrin in spray on cans from Sawyer (on line), who supply a lot of Forestry products. If any of you have concerns about ticks, look into Sawyer Permethrin.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:31 PM

I'm acquainted with a number of men who make their living as wood cutters and they never get lyme. Could it be that they have developed immunity?

Last night's news showed a deer caught on security cameras rampaging through a store. That seems to happen every fall around rut time. Funny as a buggah.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Every human teenage male can associate with the deer rut having had experienced an overdose of testosterone. You know were the little head puts the big head in neutral (you can use that line). Throw in a few push up bras and a garter belts (in Frank's case) plus a few recreational beverages and we are off to the races (I miss those days).

I think in the loggers case in which there are many around here they smell of gasoline/oil and bar and chain oil which might be a repellent. I know that diesel fuel is a big repellent for black flies and mosquitos so it seems to be a simple jump. I wonder if I can get a government grant to make a study?.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:48 PM
SS/Veteran

the lyme vaccine was too risky for humans? i got it 10 years ago,and happy i did.plus my health insurance paid for it. some places i fish are loaded with ticks. damm i hate ticks.