Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Joe, your knee should be good by fall, maybe even spring turkey time.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
SS/Veteran

i better be ready for spring fishin!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:04 PM

A lot of local hunters have expressed concern for the crusty, deep snow and how it might hurt the deer herd. Deer yard up at this time of year into large groups. People are seeing herds of deer -- 12 and 15 in a group. This is why they are not being sighted; you either see nothing or you see the whole kitten-caboddle.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:49 AM
SS/Veteran

Woods and Waters in their Feb issue just did an article on this subject saying because of the record breaking deep snow along with the crust the deer now are moving out of the deer yards. Coyotes, if hunting in packs are having a feast with the young deer who are weak and cannot reach the hemlock branches are doomed. The herd is estimated to be reduced by a third but will recover in which they say three years.

On the other hand a neighbor who is an avid deer hunter who plays in a country western band, on the way home at 1 AM had to go slow through and area next to a the major town because deer were crossing the road in front of him. There is a known deer yard close by that area.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:07 PM

I don't buy it that deer are in trouble. That gets said every winter that we have a bit of weather. Woods and Waters doesn't get any editing so I would read them with a grain of salt. If deer could not take a severe winter there would be none in New Brunswick, Anticosti and a host of other places where they get hammered. Of course I don't want to buy it. I guess it is could be a form of denial on my part.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:36 AM

Joyce and I did a scout trip on one of our patches now that most of the snow is gone. The deer there are on a rampage. It is clear to me that they made it through the deep snow fine. Keep in mind that half of them are carrying fawns so the number of targets likely will double by autumn. Still, I know that everybody worries.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 AM

Again, scouting because the snow is down: There is this place about two miles from our home where everybody goes. Hunting season you have to forage for a place to park on the side of the road. Between archery, shotgun, muzzle and napalm it gets hammered. The deer have no peace for three months. So we go there yesterday to kind of take attendence, check for survivors. The place was flippin overrun with tracks. There have to be at least a dozen deer that made it through the hunting season.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:37 AM

Yesterday's scouting trip Joyce and I sat down to rest on a log that happened to have good cover with some low pine and we had a huge coyote come about 30 yards from us. Very big. After it left we checked the area out and, sure enough, it is a place where it lives and vulnerable as a result. Sure enough, when we got home I checked the Mass game laws for allowable firearms for coyotes. Then I saw the season closed March 7 . Only massachusetts would protect fawn eating coyotes!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:51 AM
SS/Veteran

Francis--the unwritten rules are in coyote season you shoot and then boost to your friends. Out of season you shoot and walk away and of course say nothing to anyone.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:17 PM

I understand and agree, Rich, but I can't hit a school bus at 10 yards with my Smith. One can't really carry a long gun in the off season.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Now that the snow if off the trap fields we saw a friend for the first time since fall. He deer hunted in Kentucky in November. The first day he saw 40 deer about half of them bucks and killed an eight point the second day. In Kentucky you can killl all the does you have tags for in your pocket; I think he said doe tags are unlimited.

It would seem to me that if hunting is too easy it would take the fun out of it. I would sure like to find out.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 PM
SS/Veteran

my regular hunting buddy hunts kentucky also,has family down there. he has got a realy nice buck for the past few years,i am thinking about checking it out one year.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Now that the snow if off the trap fields we saw a friend for the first time since fall. He deer hunted in Kentucky in November. The first day he saw 40 deer about half of them bucks and killed an eight point the second day. In Kentucky you can killl all the does you have tags for in your pocket; I think he said doe tags are unlimited.

It would seem to me that if hunting is too easy it would take the fun out of it. I would sure like to find out.
Francis: don't go to a state with a whole lot of deer or you will never hunt New England again. I hunted Pa (Bradford County) saw 60 deer in the first two hours running up a field behind me. Fawn under my tree stand, I was dropping picked off bark on her/his head. Several minutes later a large buck burst from the tree line --bang down! --eight point buck and that is rifle country!
Three hours later I was dragging out a nice buck wondering why I do not live down there and why bother with Massachusetts?
Old 03-22-2011, 01:02 PM

Pennsylvania is good but I think the shallow south has an even greater edge. One of our members here, Christina, I called her Buck, was putting up pictures of 8-pointers every season from Virginia. Va is another place where they offer liberal game laws because they have so many. Our Virginia Gentleman wacks enough for the table every year. But it sounds like Kentucky may be even better than Virginia. My wife, Joyce, would have to be controlled in places like those. She has never hunted where there are deer all around you like I saw in PA.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Pennsylvania is good but I think the shallow south has an even greater edge. One of our members here, Christina, I called her Buck, was putting up pictures of 8-pointers every season from Virginia. Va is another place where they offer liberal game laws because they have so many. Our Virginia Gentleman wacks enough for the table every year. But it sounds like Kentucky may be even better than Virginia. My wife, Joyce, would have to be controlled in places like those. She has never hunted where there are deer all around you like I saw in PA.
Francis---have you heard the saying? Get out of Dodge! Census figures are telling us that whites (27 %) are leaving the cities of Ma.

In the autumm of our years as things out there are changing fast it might be a nice thing to go to a place that gives us comfort.

But you and most are set in your ways with roots so the best thing I can say to myself and you is --Told Ja!