Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

I hear ya, Rich. But for us it is not about being set in our ways. Our life system -- fishing here, hunting there -- is exactly what we want. The guys I feel sorry for are the ones trapped in a place like the Cape, another story. We color code the calandar in the fall in order to hunt three states after surfcasting in two. We have it knocked.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:29 PM
SS/Veteran

Francis --I understand perfectly what you are saying and wish you the best.

Regarding the Cape: The cape sucks in my opinion pure and simple and I wish it could be pushed from the canal way out east further. Bet I kicked the bees nest with that sentence.

You and Joyce might think about a hunt in Kentucky if you can hook up with someone with land and a place to stay. You could use your motor home? Need a driver and some one to carry your bags?
Old 03-26-2011, 05:02 PM

No, we going to Africa.Name:  Crapping with Llion.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  104.4 KB
Old 03-26-2011, 05:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Now that is funny! I forwarded it all over my civilized world (few people, in my world).
Old 03-27-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Woods and Waters in their Feb issue just did an article on this subject saying because of the record breaking deep snow along with the crust the deer now are moving out of the deer yards. Coyotes, if hunting in packs are having a feast with the young deer who are weak and cannot reach the hemlock branches are doomed. The herd is estimated to be reduced by a third but will recover in which they say three years.

On the other hand a neighbor who is an avid deer hunter who plays in a country western band, on the way home at 1 AM had to go slow through and area next to a the major town because deer were crossing the road in front of him. There is a known deer yard close by that area.
Merl, Ive been thinking about what you said above about losing a third. I no longer think that so far fetched. Suppose we have 3,000 deer and 1/3 die off -- snow, coyotes, hunting, whatever. Among the remaining 2,000 deer half are pregnant does carrying twins (1000 x 2) we would end up with a net gain of 2,000 which would re-establish the herd to 4,000 within a year. So the article is not all that scary.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Wild turkeys have started gobbling at daybreak. They will be breaking up soon so they can look for each other. Hunting starts in three weeks.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 AM

We scouted at daybreak yesterday. On the way out to the buggy, first light filtering through barren hardwoods, a gobbler sounded off over our driveway. Then we went to ten places and heard nothing.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:17 PM

We have a lot of spots where the birds disappear for the winter then come there in the spring breeding season. Why they have two ranges is a mystery to me. Unless they choose spots with more openings, more fields, whre they can strut and display. Hunt starts Monday in Mass.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Francis, what I know about turkey hunting you can put in a timble and still have room for your finger but I have heard that turkey hunters go out a dusk and roadside hunt with an owl call. It seems when you blow an owl call the roosting turkeys just have to gooble back which tells you where they will be in the morning.

Fact is I have an old world Quaker Boy wooden call yours for shipping, just to show you my heart is in the right place or we can trade if that makes you happier.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Francis, what I know about turkey hunting you can put in a timble and still have room for your finger but I have heard that turkey hunters go out a dusk and roadside hunt with an owl call. It seems when you blow an owl call the roosting turkeys just have to gooble back which tells you where they will be in the morning.

Fact is I have an old world Quaker Boy wooden call yours for shipping, just to show you my heart is in the right place or we can trade if that makes you happier.
Yes, Merl, that is what they do but it is not as simple as it seems. If you have done your homework, you will know where there are turkeys. What you have to do is get them to leave the hens they know and come to you. It is sometimes easy and most often it is a case of finding a tom in the right mood. Also, if you "roost" a bird at sunset you have to sleep short to get near his tree before fly down. WEre it as easy as you make it sound, there would be none left. We look for them at dawn. Never forget that when you are 40 feet up you can see very well and getting under the tree will do you no good; they just glyde the other way. Calls? we got more calls than God.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:22 PM

I have been turkey hunting since the start of the restoration -- 21 years. I have seen it come along and grow east. My first season, 1990, I was one of only 18 people in RI to take a bird. So I know of what I speak when I say the birds are multiplyng, taking hold and really becoming of way more than huntable numbers. This season, after the awful winter we had, I have never seen so many turkeys. We see birds every day, we let shooters walk every day. It has been terrific to watch history being made in the turkey restoration!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 AM
SS/Veteran

Long Island had it's first ever turkey hunting season last year. I think the # of birds taken was like 20 or something. The areas where the hunting took place is poor turkey hunting areas. A lot of thickets and dense scrub oak and pines (called "the pine barrens" by the news). Lack of open fields to strut their feathers.

I see allot of turkeys in the morning on my trips to Montauk. Many deer also. But like I said before ...birds and wildlife like roads because of the break in the terrain creates abundant food sources for them. Step away from the road and the trees and vegetation is too thick to hunt effectively.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Hard to figure out where turkeys spend the winter as if it really matters but a wonder to think about when dogs and humans and even horses are hunkered down and it seems no live forms could live out there they show up again in the spring.

Lots of Turkey seen to the point where you have to stop the car to let them cross the road but disappear when the season starts up. Take walks in the early spring and trickle whole corn behind you to your hunting spot but I am sure that is illegal but does sound like fun.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:21 PM

In Upton a few years ago a mailman was being accosted by turkeys evry day. Guys in the club were saying that we should hunt in mailman drag, walking along peacefully with a leather mailbag, then pop the buggahs. : : :
Old 05-18-2011, 03:11 PM

My wife Joyce picked up lyme desease a few days ago. She is okay now and is taking an antilbiotics after being on an IV antibiotic at the accident room. The red circle is getting smaller, the swelling is down and her chills are gone. We were both scared shirtless. Some towns are reporting a 600 percent increase in diagnosed lyme. If you catch any ticks, take them over to Fiction where they say, "wheel in Frank".