Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:55 PM

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Just wondering how many of us here shoot with one eye closed. My shooting improved markedly when I started shooting with both eyes open.

I hear you on the running shots Frank.
I took a nice fat doe in December of 1994 with a muzzleloader, the last in line of a gang of a dozen or so, running on a narrow trail half way up a ridge covered with mountain Laurel and hemlocks. There was a small window between 2 Hemlocks I lined up on and practiced the timing as each deer ran through the window. The doe last in line, the biggest one, ran through the window. As the doe's chest hit the iron sights, I fired. She managed to scramble another 50 yards straight uphill. That's where I found her with a perfect lung shot, paced out at 70 yards. One of my fondest hunting memories and the first and only deer taken with a muzzleloader.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Compared to birds running deer are not going all that fast so the lead is minimal. However, there is no shot string so you do have to be timed right. If you sight along the top of the deer, stay high, anywhere along the top, head to tail, will break the spine and parellize the deer.

My biggest buck, a 201, which was driven, was about to disappear behind a big stone and I would have been blinded by brush on the other side, had to be taken way aft in a now or never situation ....muzzleloader to boot.

I also shot one in the air once as it leaped over the top rise of a hill coming at me. Again, black powder and it hit the ground dead.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:16 AM

I didn't know Annie had a sister named Joyce, Frank!!??
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2010, 11:12 AM
SS/Veteran

[quote=Piscator;2338831]Just wondering how many of us here shoot with one eye closed. My shooting improved markedly when I started shooting with both eyes open.

A shooter can be left or right handed but not so often the same person can be left of right eyed. The test to to reach out with your arm and point at an object with finger extended and both eyes open and then close one eye and then the other taking note on which eye is lined up.

That said: Shooting with both eyes open is the best way and if you are really kool you can switch from left to right handed with some practice. Really helps in a deer stand or for that matter combat troops benind a tree or building corner.

You want to be good--just practice!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

[quote=Merlin;2338866]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
A shooter can be left or right handed but not so often the same person can be left of right eyed. The test to to reach out with your arm and point at an object with finger extended and both eyes open and then close one eye and then the other taking note on which eye is lined up.

That said: Shooting with both eyes open is the best way and if you are really kool you can switch from left to right handed with some practice. Really helps in a deer stand or for that matter combat troops benind a tree or building corner.

You want to be good--just practice!
I learned that going thru to academy back in the mid 80's. Found my left eye was dominant, but it didnt help me much. Still just about qualified...
Old 07-08-2010, 12:49 PM

Shoot with both eyes open. An interesting thing about that is if you take a two-eyed shooter and hand him your long gun he will close his non-dominant eye to sight with it for feel. Yet, when actually shooting, he will shoot with both open. Strange. This subject gets a lot of treatment at gun clubs and gin mills where shooters go. (Not that I do gun clubs all that much mind you.)
Old 07-23-2010, 07:44 AM

Just read that New Jersey is going to have its first bear season in five years this fall -- December I think. I guess Jersey has also had bear problems.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:12 AM
SS/Veteran

The facts or trends around here are the bears have moved to the cities where food in dumpsters and bird feeders are present in quantity plus there is always a household that likes watching them so they basically feed (bait) them, corn etc.

In Northampton, Ma (pop 40,000) the closest city to me there has been a whole bunch of bear problems with the green cops working over time and people putting up home made signs on the road saying bear crossing or bear crossing with three cubs.

Many stories of Yogi on porches ravishing outdoor grills for the grease and tearing apart unprotected trash bags. Local state park where campers, camp at night the sound of trash cans turned over etc. is a common night event. There was a cute story where a city guy brought his hand gun to ward off bears and fired a warning shot in the middle of the night only to shoot out his windshield. He had parked his SUV up hill from his campsite. The local cops laughed and said do not do that again and perhaps you had better go home. You gotta love it!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:54 PM

I'm scared of bears. The number one killer bear species is the black bear, our species in Jersey and Massachusetts. Grizzlies and Polars are worse but their human contact is so limited that there are way fewer encounters. Black bears, on the other hand, live with us. I saw one deer hunting outside of Hancock, NY around the size of a refrigerator on its side. Around four or five years ago I read of three maulings in one season -- New Jersey, Michigan and Maine. One of your neighbors gets hurt and you'll see a big change in additude.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 PM

When I head up to my stand in the morning, I used to never carry a flashlight. I could see the path well enough to get by and knew where I'm was going. But now, our members have seen quite a few bears before and during the season. Get between momma and her cubs heading to your stand in the dark, and your asking for trouble. So I carry one, and hope for the best. At least I feel better heading in with a gun, than I do heading in with a bow. Our stands all have clawmarks where they've tried to get into them. My ladder is all tore up, and it's a little more unnerving heading up. Some of the guys give me a ride up on their quads in the a.m., and I've got a 200 yd walkin, so no big deal.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:07 AM

In Mass they shoot about 140 bears per season. You get a bear application with your license and can apply for five bucks, which all get approved. I can't explain it but I have no interest in bears and don't know anybody who gets the permit and goes in Mass. I hope my wife never sees a bear while hunting. She'll either shoot it or never go back in the deer woods.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:06 AM

bear? no thanx.

deer? sure.

pigs? oh yeah! yummy!
Old 07-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd View Post
bear? no thanx.

deer? sure.

pigs? oh yeah! yummy!
rfd, tell us about the pigs. They ferel hogs or Russian boar? Are they mean enough to go after ya? I don't want a long story and I ain't payin for this. There is a place three hours from where we live that has them in a preserve.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:51 AM

these south carolina/georgia hogs are descended from the original pigs the spaniards brought over in the 1500's, crossed up with european russian boars brought in from up north. for all the wild hogs i've seen, chased and killed, from texas to south carolina, they're all a mix of russian/spanish. they look prehistorically nasty. they ARE nasty, with upper and lower jaw tusks that both male and female carry. they can be unpredictable on the stalk, they run in size upwards of 200-300#, with 40-80# more common.

my last south carolina pig hunt was this past june 7th, on about 800 acres of open non-fenced jungle bush. i killed two during the stiflingly hot early evening, one being the largest, somewhere well over 100# ... a big sow with doubled tusks. i HIGHLY recommend hog huntin', it's a blast and the meat is sweeeeet to eat. here's the big ol' gal after complete gutting and just before i skinned her ... oh yeah, i only hunt with a longbow and feathered shafts ...

a shoat i killed for breakfat ham 'n' eggs ... mmmmmmmmm, dat was good eatin'! ...

Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 PM

Very interesting, rfd. My wife, Joyce, is pushing me to book us on a Russian hunt at a local preserve. She claims we can get even with our kids through the consumption of our estate. But I worry about taking her as she will likely shoot everything -- zebras, elephants, whatever -- and I'll have to pay for it!

We won't use a longbow. More likely, if I know her, an air strike will be called in. Though she can shoot the nuts off a field mouse at 100 yards on horse back while rolling a cigarette.