Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

I think the key to a satisfying level of enjoyment from whether hunting or fishing is challenge! When you use all super high tech gadgets it goes into the realm of slaughter and not hunting. What fun would it be to catch a trout in a fish hatchery compared to a mountain stream?? Even if in the stream the trout were small and in the hatchery the trout were huge. I actually did fish in a hatchery for large trout once. A long time ago when I was in a fly fishing club one day we had buses come in from afar loaded with physically and mentally handicapped children. Our job was to help them fish the hatchery. The act of helping them was fulfilling..but you could tell that casting the fly into the pools of trout was not the dream that you thought it was..
Old 09-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Yes, Montauk, you make a good point about challenge. I know hunters who tired of using compound bows and went to recurves, like our RFD boar hunter. it is a choice they made and seem never sorry. Just to be more complete, I think a lot of people want challenge and still others do something that seems the hard way but they choose it because it works. I'm thinking of fly fishing for stripers: over and over we have proven that it is a better way to get stripers to take. So in tht case, contrary to what one might think, fly fishing is not chosen for the challenge.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 AM
SS/Veteran

There is that phrase called "fair chase" which becomes a sport which is a challenge. There is a line on what is "fair chase" which the next generation can define. Crossbows, that sounds like fair chase to me. Concussion grenades launched into deer bedding areas or pools filled with fish does not. Over simplification but you can pick up the meaning.

Sidebar: It is interesting to see all the gadgets and gimmicks out there to separate sportsmen from their money. Electronic divices to tenderize a freshly killed deer. Camouflage clothes that block the electronic pulses that your body produces, scent killers to kill your body odor and the list goes on and on. What happened to vanila extract, peanut butter and the red and plaid wool hunting coats and green wool pants or cod liver oil for fishing?

I must be getting old!
Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 PM

yes, fair chase indeed. to each that may have diff'rent meanings, but for me it's quite simple. a walk into the open woods (meaning at least hundreds of acres if not thousands, and no human built fences of any consequence) ... with a stout longbow in hand and some very sharp tipped pointy little sticks nestled in a sack or strapped to the bow. i walk little and look lots. i enjoy the surroundings, this is my church, the earth below and sky above, and all the flora and fauna that make that paradise what it is. maybe diana, the goddess of the hunt, will show me something worthy to stalk. and if i'm very lucky i'll have a sane opportunity to drop string on the critter and make a good hit and recovery. or maybe she's decided all i needed that day was the walk and the stimulation of those ancient senses that we modern men still harbor in our souls - hunting.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:09 PM

I'm all for fair chase but society has placed so many obstacles between hunters and their quarry -- no Sunday hunting, no rut hunting, short seasons, access limitations, fees -- that I harbor no guilt over having a scope, a relieable ignition system, or even a second shot. Sure, I take what I am handed in the field because I don't want to lose any privilages, but I want every advantage I can get. It is tough enough. And celebrating a success at the table is no small part of the reward.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Francis, you might be misunderstanding. This is not an attack on you because I have basically what you have and hunt the way you do, Ma success rate is below 7%. A fellow needs every break he can get. This note was in reference to running deer with GPS collars and ambushing them when they cross the road. Of course different strokes for different folks applies.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
This note was in reference to running deer with GPS collars and ambushing them when they cross the road.
Merl, you have no idea!

"Hunting", south of the Mason/Dixon Line, is more of a video game, than true hunting. The hunting dogs have electronic collars, which transmit to the GPS receiver in their trucks. The deer "hunters" see where the dog is located, via the radio collars. They position themselves directly in front of where the dog will intercept the road, and the deer is between the dogs and themselves, and they wait for the blur of a deer to run over them.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 AM

I'm not approving deer hunting with dogs. I am having trouble forming an opinion because I never did it. I guess, but I never hunted in the south, they have so many deer that it doesn't matter if they use napalm. There are two sides to evry story and I don't want to be ethno-centric about what they do in another culture. And above all, I want to keep this discussion harmonious.

Merlin's success rate in Mass is pretty average. Ours is higher because we have licenses in three states, hunt seven days a week including Sundays, each moving to the advantage of the other, rabidly include muzzleloading which is hugely effective, hunt during the rut, which Mass does not allow during firearms season. In effect, we buy our deer. When we get too old for tht we will go to a game farm, like we did last year, and as Momma J says, "drug one and tie it to a tree". This said by a girl who can shoot the nuts off a running field mouse at 100 yards on horseback while rolling a cigarette.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 AM

There is a growing unrest among Massachusetts sportsmen over the imposition of repressive hunting regs which are way out-of-line with neighboring states. Archery starts a full month later than at least three nearby states and offers 1/4 the hunting days. No firearms hunting is permitted during the all-important rut which takes place, on average, November 15. Coyotes are afforded more protection in Mass than any of the other jurisdictions on the continent. No Sunday hunting. Hunting license sales are way down, partly because of the $100 Firearms ID Card, which is awarded arbitrarily by local authorities.

The sharpies I know, and Joyce and I are among them, hunt in neighboring states.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 AM
SS/Veteran

More growing unrest: Francis you have covered the license restrictions pretty well but what needs to be said is the restrictions we have on buying anything shooting related. All catalog sales companies will not ship to Ma. sales cover bullets, powder, primers and a few other things. Do not even think about any gun including black powder. Recently I purchased a black powder rifle from KY. Had to have it shipped to a dealer in Ma (hour ride away) pay a transfer fee ($25) and use tax (sales tax). Paid a premium for bullets and powder and 209 pimers. If I had made the trip to NH I was saved a whole lot. Lots of sportsman (the hard core ones) do not bother hunting Ma but go out of state and even get together and buy a hunting camp.

There are a host of laws on how to leave your house with a gun, locked container, trigger locks etc. No average sportsmen knows what to do when and the enforcement agents do not enforce because they do not know either. Gone are the days when a youngster was walking down a road with some squirrels and a .22. I figure when I wake in the morning and my feet hit the floor I am in violation of some law.

Best way to see Massachusetts is in your rear view mirror!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 AM

"fair chase" ... hunting for game as you please - for some, a stick w/string and smaller pointy stick missles and for others, nothing short of marine sniper team gear - in an unenclosed environment (i.e. - no high fences).

hunting licenses ... i can go online and get a bow hunting license in states such as the carolinas, georgia, florida, texas, wyoming (just to name a few) with NO MORE than a driver's license and some bucks. yet in my own home state of nj i can't bowhunt unless i take a "hunter's safety course" (NOT easy to find and attend) and pass a "shooting exam" (also not easy to set up) and then buy a license. riddle me that, please.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:50 PM

NJ and Mass, which are both liberal states, meaning democrat, imply by their actions that anti-hunting and anti-gun regs are intended to punish conservatives for being conservative. I would really like to be wrong about this, that one's politics and recreation are unrelated. But the evidence keeps piling up in that direction.

Joyce and I wanted to go to Jersey hunting way back because we have a lot of friends there. But the regs, even for out-of-state hunters, are a nightmare.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:47 AM
SS/Veteran

Well with the population density increasing, common sense no longer taught by parents, everyone scrabbling for their piece of the planet and wanting control of a world gone wild, special interest groups searching for support which comes down to money it is no wonder that foolish/illogical laws and regulations take the front seat.

What is a little spooky for me in my senior years as I hang on to the inside rim of the toilet watching it flush from time to time trying to keep my feet dry is the youngsters out buying AR-15's, MP-16's and Glocks. Something about Dec this year when I guess the world will end and a big shoot out will happen.

Go figure, I just bought a muzzle loader!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:16 PM

The muzzleloaders being offered in the market shoot very well. Only thing is the one shot deal which doesn't bother us a bit.

OTS, I just saw there has been a new book published called Chicks With Guns which apparently makes the point that a growing number of women in our culture own firearms. It covers the huge country culture, outside the blue state cities, where more and more women own and and use guns for target, hunting, and family use trained by their husbands, fathers, brothers. It says that women commonly outshoot men in the family.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Regarding muzzle loaders: yes you are right (yet again) and a leg up to you here (that is a horseman's expression) is for you to try Blackhorn 209 (black powder substitute). You will not be sorry!

and regarding: chicks with guns--well that explains that when I was in a gun shop (NH) which the room lighting was dark as a witche's heart there, as my eyes adjusted were guns with pink stocks. I was thinking why would a real man want a gun with a pink stock and then I thought maybe the swissers!

Just when I thought I had seen it all~ .