Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Smith and Wesson had a pink snubby years ago. I think they called it a "Lady Smith". I think that both sexes are kind of spoofing the organized world with the pink thing.

There are a lot of new sensational powders, which foul a barrell way less. Early years muzzleloading my wife used to have trouble seating a charge because of the fouling after only one shot. One time I came up on her and she was ramming her ram-rod against a tree while a cripple was trying to get up.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Yes it was the Lady Smith--a SS version of the Model 36 that was in blue--First made in bright SS called the Chief's Special (Model 60)--became satin SS and still called the Chief's Special but then someone at S&W got the idea to market it as the Lady Smith and put pink and markada (Sp) grips on it, called Model 60-7, all are five shot, 38 special. There are some veriants that command a premium by collectors. I know more information then you needed to know but shows you I have been around the block in the gun world.

Tree ramrod, round ball and patch--sorry, been there and done that! Not like you can leave that round ball half way down the barrel unless you need a new face and gun and maybe a hand.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:29 PM

Off season I carry a .38 Special 5 shot snubby made of Titanium. I think it is the same frame design as the lady Smith. Its light but comes back like a howitzer. The serial number is very interesting and may even enhance its value. Of course I couldn't hit a school bus with it.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:15 PM
SS/Veteran

Yes it is the same frame design. That is a nice light unit for carry. You can buy other grips for it that are larger, more friendly to shoot but takes away concealment feature. Let's face it it is an old world belly gun, used for personal defense--only going to give you something to do while a bear naws on your leg. Don't get me wrong I have one of those Lady Smith's in SS just in case. Hollow points in a personal defense mode will take the edge off a perp but you might want to fire more then one.

The reason you cannot hit crap with it is because of the short sight plane, fixed sights and of course super short barrel. Keep in mind its intended use.

School buses and barn doors had better take cover!

Nice thing about S&W is they are right down the road from us. If you have a gun to drop off go and visit the Springfield Armory Museum. Well worth the visit there but go late morning or early afternoon if you get my meaning. Don't worry about S&W security, dropping off the gun is the hard part, they will mail it back to you--go figure that one.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I'm all for fair chase but society has placed so many obstacles between hunters and their quarry -- no Sunday hunting, no rut hunting, short seasons, access limitations, fees -- that I harbor no guilt over having a scope, a relieable ignition system, or even a second shot. Sure, I take what I am handed in the field because I don't want to lose any privilages, but I want every advantage I can get. It is tough enough. And celebrating a success at the table is no small part of the reward.
yer living/hunting in the wrong state ... hell, the wrong part of the country. that's the real travesty - state laws - and why i only hunt the southeast and southwest.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:16 PM

We had a hunting emergency today. Tomorrow RI opens a four day antlerless season in a zone where we desparately needed permission for private property. In a place where we have hunted turkeys the deer trip over each other. This time we'll be hunting with muzzleloaders there. So today it was a surprise load the guns, pack the gear, dig out the clothes, rig the buggy. We are both horsed .
Old 10-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Frustrating trying to outfit young hunters

Took my son to Cabelas looking to get him his first hunting vest - 30 diff styles of fluorescent adult vests. None in youth size - he was bummed. I had the same thing there 2 years ago when I took my daughter to get her 1st vest. Where does Cabelas think the next generation of hunters is going to come from. Then top things off they didn't have the 16ga ammo I like - mightas well shop at walmart...... Luckily Dick's had a vest for him - they of course don't carry 16ga ammo.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:28 PM

Good point, Tony and a great story. Retailing is kind of on the ropes and even the higher ups in these big companies like Cabela's don't know how to stock the stores. Its one thing when a small Mom and Pop B&T doesn't have shelves but even the big chains have dumb guys at the helm. My wife, Joyce, wears all men's stuff hunting and we don't even think about it.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Frustrating trying to outfit young hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyc1 View Post
Took my son to Cabelas looking to get him his first hunting vest - 30 diff styles of fluorescent adult vests. None in youth size - he was bummed. I had the same thing there 2 years ago when I took my daughter to get her 1st vest. Where does Cabelas think the next generation of hunters is going to come from. Then top things off they didn't have the 16ga ammo I like - mightas well shop at walmart...... Luckily Dick's had a vest for him - they of course don't carry 16ga ammo.
Tony because you live out of the sink holes of Ma and NJ you can order your ammo on line. Of course order enough that justifies the shipping charges although many are giving free shipping in today's economony. Try natchez or cheaper then dirt.

Regarding the safety vest: You can go to a material, sewing store and buy the soft material (safety orange) and with the help of usually a neighborhood friend or female relative make your own. The over the head kind is my choice with draw strings at the bottom. The only reason I like the over the head model is I often hunt in my old military poncho (bad weather) so I can when sitting tuck gun underneath.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:14 PM

I don't like hunter orange clothing. Better to have an all camo outfit and add on an orange vest. Of course it depends upon the laws in your state. In RI, where we do most of our hunting, the muzzleloader season only requires an orange hat. Say you have one of those big, expensive jackets for cold weather, $300. You can use it for turkeys, deer, waterfowl, even fall fishing, by adding or subtracting an orange vest.

Very expensive but Beagle makes a quiet vest that is really well made but its like 70/80 bucks. I don't have one but I have lusted over theirs.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
We had a hunting emergency today. Tomorrow RI opens a four day antlerless season in a zone where we desparately needed permission for private property. In a place where we have hunted turkeys the deer trip over each other. This time we'll be hunting with muzzleloaders there. So today it was a surprise load the guns, pack the gear, dig out the clothes, rig the buggy. We are both horsed .
Well, How'd you make out?
Old 10-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Never saw a flag. But Joyce had one blow at her going in one morning. Yesterday I walked in after the rain had washed all the old tracks and there were no new ones. An hour later there was a set of tracks that crossed so I guess one jumped across the opening which I did not see. We have never hunted deer this early and it did rain every morning. We were very excited all four days and secured a private property permission where there are a lot of deer so we did move forward. Key in RI is having written permission to deer hunt. With that you kind of have it knocked because regs in that state favor private access.

Wet muzzleloaders for four days, we had to dump them at the range and they went off crisp and were both in inch off the bull at 50 yards. I expected my rifle to be AFU because I had fallen in the rocks and bounced my scope. These are precious days, every one.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:59 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
I don't like hunter orange clothing. Better to have an all camo outfit and add on an orange vest. Of course it depends upon the laws in your state. In RI, where we do most of our hunting, the muzzleloader season only requires an orange hat. Say you have one of those big, expensive jackets for cold weather, $300. You can use it for turkeys, deer, waterfowl, even fall fishing, by adding or subtracting an orange vest.

Very expensive but Beagle makes a quiet vest that is really well made but its like 70/80 bucks. I don't have one but I have lusted over theirs.
From the studies I have read, which are very detailed on what a deer sees it comes down to they are much like some humans that are red (orange) green color blind. The articles or studies did mention that our blue jeans almost glow in a deer's perception and should not be worn hunting deer. Camouflage works if you pick the right color for the background colors. Jungle pattern will not work in a hard wood stand etc.

Motion and scent are much more important.

Frank buy the beagle vest because when you want to buy one later they will be gone and you will have to join the should have could have club. You could start dropping those what I want for Christmas hints.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 AM
SS/Veteran

Here are your wet weather muzzle loader tips: put a balloon, electical tape or even a condom over the muzzle. They will not interfere with the shot. Drape a hankerchief over the breech which will catch snow and rain. When you get home do not bring gun inside a warm area but leave it outside on porch or shed. The quick change will cause condensation and powder will absorb the moisture and might even fog your scope (on the inside).

Here is something I use to do when cleaning with soap and water (don't tell anyone). Shut the valve off to your toilet and flush once. Pour in a pot of hot water and plunge out your barrel. You know that water stinks to high heaven with the sulfur. Flush toilet when done and turn valve back on for normal use.

Run with this trivia: When the Russians invaded WW2 Germany they could not figure out what those toilets were and thought they might be potatoe washers. Of course they had been going to the out house as their normal place to go.

Just keeping this thread alive!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:41 PM

Merlin, the glow in bluejeans you are talking about is called UV contamination. This comes in the manufacture and is maintained by the laundry detergent. We have a UV filter and thus don't see it. Deer, on the other hand, do not and pick up UV contamination, thus the glow. Your clothes should always be "sport washed" to keep the glow off. You can test your clothing for this brightness by exposing it to a UV bulb. Being an Irishman and having sat at many a bar, ever notice how the white bar rag glows blue. That is the UV bulb under the bar to keep things sterile. One in four light bulbs in hospitals are UV for the control of germs. If military wash their clothes with regular detergent they will be picked up more easily by night vision equip. They are supposed to launder with Milspec detergent provided by command. Otherwise they will glow.

I used to sell Atsko sport wash when doing seminars on this for hunters. Outdoor press is sadly lacking in educating hunters on this stuff. All they talk about is scent. Big mistake.