Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

There are differences of opinions on all these snake oils out there to improve your success of hunting, from UV blockers to cloths that block electrical impulses that your body produces to spray on no scents to --and the list goes on and on. The dollar rules the day if you have not noticed.

Comes down to the old world basics and that is to go where the deer are, hunt the longest and make the first shot count.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I never knowingly sold "snake oil".
Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM

Momma J and me don't climb into tree stands so it pleases me to say this: One of the big New York mags says that they are now selling more ground blinds than tree stands. Even climbers are preferring what is called "down and dirty". A shooter woman friend in her 60s just shot her first deer ever, and with archery to boot, from a ground blind! She was required to wear black in her ground blind. Interesting.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 AM
SS/Veteran

That makes sense: With the majority of hunters over 40 with the kids preoccupied with other things and the static's saying one out of every three hunters will take a tumble out of a tree stand, thus the push for safety harnesses. (wow that is some big thoughts) it makes sense that ground blinds are the way to go. Black ninja worn because inside the blind the back ground is black aka dark. Comfortable seat and able to move around plus protection from the elements, sounds like home!.

Let me throw another ingredient into the thoughts pool: after the first day of gun season the deer move to another area close by but still away from a tree stand. A ground blind is easier to move, plus you can have company in there.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:01 PM

years ago, while doing regional news for a magazine -- Fin and Feather I think -- the editor asked me to research hunter safety in my state so, assuming the editor was thinking about hunters getting shot, I started asking and the person I spoke to said the most dangerous thing in hunting was falling out of a tree stand, not getting shot. Also, I don't like the confinement of being in a tree. You can hide on the ground.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 AM
SS/Veteran

Well there is not doubt that more deer will be seen and more taken from a tree stand. You are above the deer's line of sight and scents have time to dissipate. You can stand up and stretch and move around on that small platform. The down side is the cost plus securing the stand plus the safety harness. Along time ago before the aging process and I could climb like Cheetah but now if I /we fell we would break like a beer bottle on cement and suffer long time pains.

This old one, stays on the ground and when there is wet or snow covered ground I spend my efforts keeping my butt dry and warm.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:32 PM

In our region there is very little flat ground and if you follow a deer run long enough you can find an overlook where you are looking down on a run. We have ledges where we can sit comfortably on the ground and still be above the deer on its run. With a little imagination one does not have to climb.

Same with a blind. You can hide. But I do admit that getting in out of the weather with a deer blind is pretty attractive.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:14 PM
SS/Veteran

I often thought about a large golf type of umbrella, camouflage of course that you could carry and use as a cane, or a shooting stick/rest that you could at least break the wind in your face and if calm put over your head in rain and snow. Maybe a cut out you can shoot through or over. I am still working on the stand for it.

Might be an idea to run with now that I have given up making my first million and working now on the second.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I often thought about a large golf type of umbrella, camouflage of course that you could carry and use as a cane, or a shooting stick/rest that you could at least break the wind in your face and if calm put over your head in rain and snow. Maybe a cut out you can shoot through or over. I am still working on the stand for it.

Might be an idea to run with now that I have given up making my first million and working now on the second.
Merl, I have one of those. You can screw it into a tree.

Momma J and I start Rhody pheasants tomorrow. I have shot a couple at the club. The hunting is creeping in and we again face the migration fishing or hunting enigma.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:02 AM
SS/Veteran

Frank my advice is to wear your sneakers or borrow the neighbor's dog. Stocked birds would rather run instead of fly unless pushed hard. The wind today will also be a factor today with both fishing and hunting.

Good Luck!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Not sure you can generalize about stocked birds. It depends upon how they are raised. If grown in flyte pens, they fly well and well take flight. The chickens from the Wilbraham Game Farm, (Now closed) on the other hand, were inferior, flew badly and ran. But you were right about the wind. We had a lot of unsolved points and many complained about their inability to get suitable shots. The dogs would make game, lock up, creep, false point, then there was nothing there.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:33 PM
SS/Veteran

It seemed to me it was just the opposite..

Pen raised pheasants were more likely to fly. It was the wild ones that will use every trick in the book. Speculation is that the flyers get shot and the runner gene is passed down through generations.

I once read an outdoor article on "late season pheasants" and the author told of stories of birds running through streams apparently to throw the dog off scent..and hide in a burrow like a rabbit. Nonsense?? A pheasant couldn't be that smart??
I don't know...
Old 10-16-2011, 04:35 PM

The only wild pheasants in New England are either along the coast or on Block Island and I have only a little experience with them, even then as a youth. In order for pheasants to exhibit good flight capability they have to develop in an environment where they can develop the muscles and actually fly. Confined they don't and resort to running. As for the other stuff -- hiding in holes, running in the water -- I vote, or opine, that it is junk science. They can be very smart, however.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:55 PM
SS/Veteran

Years ago when I had a pen that I raised chickens (meat birds) and the next year bronze turkeys which worked out well but I wanted to something different. I researched raising pheasants to sell to clubs live, with no slaughtering etc. I found out, you have to have at least a forty foot tall pen and had to dress in an outfit that did not resemble a human when going to feed. I never did figure out what dressing other then a human entailed. The reasoning behind this was the birds would run toward a human looking forward to feeding. I aborted the whole project as to much trouble.

Stocked pheasants stocked by my state run instead of flying often to neighboring property that shooting was to close to houses. In my personal experience the birds ran over the railroad track tressel and hung out in a neighborhood which later explains why a kid with a pellet gun fed the whole neighborhood in pheasants for a week. It was a good part time job for him.

As Frank said native pheasants are few and far between what with our winters and the predators out there.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I found out, you have to have at least a forty foot tall pen and had to dress in an outfit that did not resemble a human when going to feed. I never did figure out what dressing other then a human entailed.
A giant chicken costume..of course!!