Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Florida Aligator Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
Since moving to Florida there is one thing I miss most this time of year. Since I lost the eyesite in my right eye, I haven't been able to hunt. Back when it ocurred, I tried shooting left-handed with no success. I could bench shoot with my left hand almost as well as my right but, no matter how much I practiced, I tied myself in knots every time I got in the field and a partridge went up or a deer broke cover so, I gave up hunting and, the shooting public is the beneficiary.

Next week is Aligator season and, it's something I wish I could take part in. Mostly it's done at night with crossbows. Longbows are allowed but, no firearms. Wish I could do it.
Lagoon ---Please do not tell us you shot your eye out with a Red Rider BB gun with the compass in the stock!

I have a friend (Russ) that as a meat cutter, cut the third finger off on his left hand many years ago. He always wanted to play guitar and was bound and determined. Many years later he took a year's worth of lessons and finally switched over his brain to play left handed. I give him credit for that.

I have another friend (Norm) who with arthritis has pins in his fingers in which his hands look like lobster claws. He rebuilds and restores old bicycles. He says he only has problems with the small wheel bearing ball bearing.

I have another friend who from years of playing in a rock and roll band is deaf as a stump. He does have state of the art hearing aids but I guess not good enough. We have grown up together and somehow his brain learned to read my lips and others. Get his attention and you can talk (mute) and he gets it. By the way he never had a lesson in lip reading.

Point is the human brain will learn to compensate for any deficiency if you give it a chance. Were was I going with this? Oh Ya--if you want it bad enough your body and brain will help you.

End of pep talk---just do it or you can carry my crossbow into the swamp but you have to call me Bowana.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:29 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
In a couple weeks I'll be going for bear in the southern White Mountains. I'll be hunting bears on private farms where they've been decimating sweet corn fields. One thing I didn't know about bear was the meat/body weight ratio is very low. A smallish bear 100-125 lbs yields 18-25 lbs of meat. I'm hoping for something more in the 200# range, but they said they've gotten pics of one bruin that will go over 400# on the trail cam. Here's one that came through our yard a couple falls ago and one that was taken in Pittsburg, NH by the guys camping next to me
Things you might want to know about bears. Bears weight with the exception of the early years of growth follows the weight of humans. The bear on the tailgate is the bear of the year where Mom kicked him out because she was expecting or had new cubs. They are young and dumb and even I have chased them out of my yard on foot but to confess I was armed so I felt brave.

Back to weight: There are 400 or 500 lbs humans (mostly at Wally world) but they are rare right now. Bear meat is greasy and not good for jerky (spoils fast) but with the proper spices is tasty in a roast. There is a consideration on what the bear has been eating whether he or she has been dumpster diving or eating corn.

Another thought: if you are hunting with Bill Vaznis say hi--a classmate of mine in those old years gone by.

Go Luck, have fun and do not vomit when gutting!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

What I like about what is being said here is that no deer or partrige hunting is being given up. I'm not a bear guy but I coudl be pursuaded to go if in the off season, which is the case in the above examples. Also, perhaps an armed tank division might help or a little napalm. Keep it fair.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:25 PM

It took some research, but I found the name of the deer on Assateague.

Sort of splitting hairs, but (evidently) there is quite a difference as to whether the deer on Assateague Island have the letter "T" in their name............

Walter,

I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, and I was (obviously) wrong.

I concur with Rags about you being right about the Sikas in VA, and (evidently) the Sitkas are only located in the Pacific Northwest.

Since my last post, I searched the website of the Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries (I guess I should have done this originally). I searched their database for "Sitka deer". (No matches found.)
Then, I searched their database for "Sika deer". The thing lit up like a Christmas tree!

BTW, (Quote):
Stan, you have sitka and sika deer confused. Sika deer are the species you are referring to in the mid Atlantic states. They are distantly related to elk in the cervus genus. Sitka deer are related to mule deer and whitetails in the Odocoileus genus. Sika deer are from Asia. Sitka from British Columbia, Canada, and Alaska.

"Sikas are cervus genus, and Sitkas are in the Odocoileus genus."

All due respect, what are you, a wildlife biologist, or something (?)

Stan
Old 08-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Well, I wont get into the whys and whatevers, but they are pretty cute, whatever their name, sitting on the side of the road...
I think Frank and Momma J would have to shoot a lot more than what they do in New England to fill the freezer though. No napalm or airstirkes needed...
Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
What I like about what is being said here is that no deer or partrige hunting is being given up. I'm not a bear guy but I could be persuaded to go if in the off season, which is the case in the above examples. Also, perhaps an armed tank division might help or a little napalm. Keep it fair.
Not only that, you get a deer tag with your license so you can go back up later and fill that tag (Sunday hunting allowed!). Don't worry about dem teddy bears, Frank, they're lovable and cuddly... give 'em a hug
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2010, 03:30 PM

I carry a lot of notions and one is that bear hunting doesn't interest me. But I also know that it takes very little to turn me around and interest me. Each season I look at the Mass bear tag application for five dollars and go hummmmmm. They shoot 150 each season in Mass and nobody hunts them. Makes you wonder.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:02 PM
SS/Veteran

In my opinion regarding hunting bear in Ma: it is not worth the trouble unless you illegally bait them under your stand. The exceptions are a corn field but that is a hit and miss proposition. The bear could be in the field in the middle of the night on a Monday and never return again. They do make a mess of a corn field which I think they walk through with out stretched arms until they have a clump sit down and gorge themselves, then puck and go to the next rows and repeat. Seeing a corn field the day after you would swear a 4wd truck drove through.

Again Frank--pass on that outing! but then again it is an outing for an early scouting of deer. But the deer patterns will change once the frost hits.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 AM

I've only seen one bear while hunting in my life -- one the size of a refrigerator laying down -- while deer hunting in NY about 15 years ago. I was carryijng a 30-06 and kept putting the cross hairs on his chest for entertainment. I would have had to hire a backhoe to get him out.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 AM

BIG B'ARS!!!

North Carolina has some bruisers. I believe they hold one of the top 3 largest taken in North America at 880#!!!
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2010, 02:12 PM

That's it! I'm out! If God wanted me to shoot bears, she would have given me wings for when I miss. Sign me up for a wabbit hunt.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:34 PM

re: "To all you hunters who kill animals for food: Shame on you. You ought to go to the store and buy the meat that was made there, where no animals were harmed."

ah, ignorance is bliss! for whatever good it *might* do, when i see krap like that i send off a short retort note to the media source - "get the facts straight. if you area meat eater, creatures must die. now go research how they die in the slaughter houses around the usa and the globe, and compare that with the number of game killed by sportsperson hunters, and how they kill their quarry."
Old 08-20-2010, 01:51 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd View Post
re: "To all you hunters who kill animals for food: Shame on you. You ought to go to the store and buy the meat that was made there, where no animals were harmed."

ah, ignorance is bliss! for whatever good it *might* do, when i see krap like that i send off a short retort note to the media source - "get the facts straight. if you area meat eater, creatures must die. now go research how they die in the slaughter houses around the usa and the globe, and compare that with the number of game killed by sportsperson hunters, and how they kill their quarry."
RFD, I get your drift. All these meat eating anti-hunters ought to go to a slaughter house and watch'em hang the hogs by the hind legs and cut their throats with a knife.
Piscator you are right. There are some brute bears in N.C. Mountains and coast. Those are three real good pictures.
MULE.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:37 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
BIG B'ARS!!!

North Carolina has some bruisers. I believe they hold one of the top 3 largest taken in North America at 880#!!!
Good pictures Andy. Those two dogs may be Plott Hounds. Ears may be a little long, and chest not as wide as normal. Breed brought over here from Germany around 1750 by two Plott brothers. Bear hunter or not, fine reading in the three books written by Bob Plott, 2007, 2008, and 2009 are full of old time stories of bear hunts, loaded with pictures, and hunters that were tough as nails, and their Plott dogs that would fight bears, cougars, and wild hogs to their death, and at the same time defend their owners and children against anybody or anything. Books can be bought on Amazon. Three of the best books I've read.
MULE.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 AM

I supplied some info, Steve. North Carolina IS the home of the world record Black Bear at 880 pounds.