Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Yesterday, while getting written permission to deer hunt, Joyce asked the land owner if it was okay to shoot coyotes.
"PLEASE DO!"
Frank we are eat up with coyotes down here in N.C., and a beast called a Coy Dog which I understand is a half-breed cross between a Canadian-type Wolf and a coyote. They are as big as, and look like German Shepherds. The damn things will kill anything they can, cats, dogs, even foxes. Neighbor lost three calves last year to them. Not quite as many of them now. You do what you have to do even when you ain't supposed to do it.

MULE.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeaugeri View Post
ahh,a gal with a gun,the only thing sexier is a gal in waders.
Like these..??????????????............lol.......Hook
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Hook View Post
Like these..??????????????............lol.......Hook
mmmm, dat nice.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. Sink View Post
Frank we are eat up with coyotes down here in N.C., and a beast called a Coy Dog which I understand is a half-breed cross between a Canadian-type Wolf and a coyote. They are as big as, and look like German Shepherds. The damn things will kill anything they can, cats, dogs, even foxes. Neighbor lost three calves last year to them. Not quite as many of them now. You do what you have to do even when you ain't supposed to do it.

MULE.
I think they have recently dispelled the notion of coy-dog crosses. Now they are saying that the coyotes of New England, the largest members of the coyote clan, are coyote/wolf crosses, the wolves having come down from Canada. Our coyotes are huge also. When going in to your deer covers, hearing the howling at dawn can give you the creeps.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:33 PM

We meet few sportsmen in the field because of how we choose to fish and hunt. But socially we see everybody here and there, clubs, gin mills, shooting ranges. Everybody is seasonally horsed over the impending hunting season. Old men acting like kids over seasonal adjustments, planned trips, new gear. They should grow up and watch VS and ESPN hunting re-runs: whispering: "this one looks like a shooter! Now, if the wind don't change, maybe I can tuck one right in there behind the shoulder."
Old 09-26-2010, 01:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Hand painted on plwood signs (nothing fancy) have been erected for the up coming Turkey Shoot at major intersections leading shooters to the local club for this annual fund raising event.

Someone keeps stealing them and I think they are of the belief that live turkeys are shot. I will suggest they entitle them as Ham, Turkey shoot to throw the thiefs a curve.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Hand painted on plwood signs (nothing fancy) have been erected for the up coming Turkey Shoot at major intersections leading shooters to the local club for this annual fund raising event.

Someone keeps stealing them and I think they are of the belief that live turkeys are shot. I will suggest they entitle them as Ham, Turkey shoot to throw the thiefs a curve.
Merlin, that's sort of like the arguably true report that a lady asked a patrolman what the Deer Crossing sign meant, and he told her that it was a dangerous place because deer crossed here. So she suggested moving the sign so that the deer would cross at a different place.

MULE.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:40 AM

Name:  J-Boar (R).jpg
Views: 249
Size:  115.8 KB

We went boar hunting. They are nocturnal and the guides had to do a push through a swamp/wallow and drive them out. We set up at a place where they knew the boars would run past and the first two past Joyce and I we whacked coming down the trail at us. She on the left, me on the right and we each shot ours on each our own side. Wounded and going crazy, they crossed and we finished off each other's. (Guess you had to be there.) Their last words were "oink, oink!"
Old 09-29-2010, 07:51 AM

Name:  F&J Boar (R).jpg
Views: 237
Size:  126.8 KB

Mister and Mrs Smarty. Pretty girls go for handsome bwanas, don't yuz think?
Old 09-29-2010, 08:13 AM

congrats to you and joyce! ya gots some nice bigguns, there. good eats!

now trade up them tricked out smoke poles for a coupla sticks 'n' strings and go do it again.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 AM
SS/Veteran

I'll take a couple of pork chops. That looks like fun.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:54 PM

We had tenderloins last night and sausage this AM for breakfast. So far wild boar is everything they say it is. We froze 122 pounds of meat from the two boars. Joyce's was guessed at 200 and mine was guessed at 180/190 apparent live weight. The yield is apparently higher on a boar than on a deer.

If together, our standing order is each stays on his/her own side. We have paired up before on both deer and turkeys. I had it wrong above, as I was on the left and the small was on the left. She had the large on the right. In the excitement of the ambush they crossed so we ended up finishing off each others. Also, ladies go first in any ambush and I don't shoot until she has fired the first shot. One of the guides was behind us with a .44 mag revolver. He never even took it out of the holster. He was very pleased with us, particularly Joyce. God, I love the smell of burnt powder in the morning! Also, a savvy guide is worth his weight in gold.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:11 PM
SS/Veteran

I will cancel my order for the ex-large, magnum size barbecue spit, seeing how the porker now is in the freezer. I was looking forward to the forum members appreciation gathering but oh well.
Congrats!!!! good times, good hunt, fond memory with good company--life is good!
Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 PM

That's awesome, Frank! I'm glad the hunt went well for both of you. Those are VERY handsome boars and real good size! I really like the color, too. Absolutely beautiful! What a great photo of Joyce, she looks stoked! No better feeling than tucking away some prime game for the winter months. Good for yuz two!!!

My next hunt... 3 day muzzleloader hunt for whitetail, northeastern New Hampshire on the Maine border. Same outfitter I used for bear. Hunt includes 4 nights in one of their cabins and 3 squares a day. Counting the days.

Also picked up a new (used) .22 cal Kimber Model 82 mini classic for varmints. A beautiful piece of American craftsmanship made in 1988 in Clackamus, Oregon. Have always wanted one since I first saw them. I saw it last Saturday and got a case of G.A.S immediately. You know the affliction... Gear Acquisition Syndrome! Brought it home yesterday, can't stop picking it up.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Those things look HUGE!! I knew a guy who used to hunt them in New Mexico. He had the hunting dogs gored sometimes..

What state was this hunt in??