Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Montauk, it was at Wild Hill Shooting Preserve in Vermont. They have thousands of acres that are fenced in where exotic animals are placed. Elk, fallow deer, red stag, bison, boar, mtn goats. You can sign on for any animal you want to hunt. The guides know where everything is because they are taking people out hunting every day. Only reason I wanted this was for JOyce to have the experience but I ended up enjoying it as much as she.

An interesting behavioural issue is that those who have never gone call it a "canned hunt" and those who have experienced it disagree. An interesting indicator of the true reality of it is to not shoot an animal. Then, you wait for it to discover you and get to see the thing sheet in its pants to get away. This shows it is not tame. We did this with two fallow deer encounters where they really hauled ash to get away. Joyce was within 75 yards of a huge 6x6 bull elk that was staring at her for a full minute. Only thing we didn't get to see were bison. Some Jersey guys saw them though.

Boar are popular because of low price and sensational food value. It is the choice of the cheapo, unwashed, like Joyce and Frank. With butchering, our two animals cost a grand apiece. Boar price is $750 per. We let a lot of animals walk because we didn't want to pay for them. I had to restrain Joyce. (If you guys bought more books, I would have let Joyce whack an elk.) Just kiddin. This hunt should be on every bucket list. First on the list would be a decent striped bass.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:07 PM
SS/Veteran

With butchering, our two animals cost a grand apiece.[Frank]
Frank at today's prices, that is not a whole more, if any, than buying a 200-300 pound farm raised pig, and having it killed, scalded, cut up, sausaged, and packaged, not to mention salt curing part of it. Plus you got the hunt as a bonus.

MULE.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:50 PM

Thanks for saying that, Steve. I hate the guilt of hammering our kids estate like that. When Joyce is so happy tht she cries, you have to ask what that is worth. Her sister and others were all afraid for her and she said, "I have a semi-automatic repeating shotgun with five shots. No problem. Not afraid."
Old 09-30-2010, 06:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Is there a vote here? If their is I say spend the money and have no regrets. Why because when you get through estate taxes and probate there will be enough to go to dinner on. You can do the percentages here. Besides that you have no idea whether you will end up in a nursing home at 56 grand a year with the sharks circling around and around. Think if it at least you or Joyce will be the ones, on the porch with a smile on your face remembering when.

Shotgun yes: slug or buck shot?

Are those Russian Hogs? (bigger then ferral hogs, I have been told).

Joyce shot a male I see in photo--Do you blame any male from running from a woman with a shot gun loaded to the max who wants to score a hit?

Purchased a trail camera today (1st time) and looking forward to a new adventure. Life is good--enjoy the ride!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:20 PM
SS/Veteran

damm frank,thats is some serious bacon!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:40 AM

Yes, Rich, those are 12 ga, she an 1100 and me an 870 special field. Both have rifleing and one ounce slugs were used with 2x7 Leupolds. We fired a total of five shots and the guide had to stop us, "okay, guys, their good, their down." Then he shouted ENOUGH! He thought I was reaching for more shells but I wanted a radio to call air support, little shot of napalm.
Yes, her's was a male and mine a female. Yes, they are Russian boar. Apparently they are favored for both easy raising and quality hunting. Feral hogs are frowned upon. Hey, I don't have an opinion bein' a deer hunter and all. You know who kind of wound me up? Our rfd guy who is a member here when he put his picture of one up. His was bigger.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:27 AM
SS/Veteran

Question: if you have the chance to hunt with a rifle (rare in these parts) why would you choose to hunt with a shotgun?

Question #2--did you have to fill in your divots after shooting potholes in the land?

I did a search and went to their website--pretty neat place, not cheap but does sound like an event. Strange they are down on lever action rifles and there must be a event to that conclusion.

On this pouring rain soaked day: are you making head cheese?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:36 PM

I have killed deer with my 30-06 bolt action. But my heart is with my 12 gauge pump. I can shuck rounds into the chamber much faster than I can bolt. When I called them at Wild Hill, they said a 12 gauge was fine.

No divots but in all the excitement we did forget to pick up our empties and kept thinking about that all day. I hate trashing up the place with empty hulls.

I had a lever action when I was in High school but I really never developed a love for them like pumps. I thought the same thing about the resistance to lever actions. Management seems to have some anti-sentiments regarding certain choices: They don't like stick bows because they lack penetration; they are not too thrilled with muzzleloading for Russian boar because a second follow up shot could be needed. Maybe they want efficient weopons or they end up doing a lot of tracking on cripples.

One guide told me that they don't have one percent of their hunters as women. He said he couldn't remember a one. He also said the women who go to Wild Hill are mostly there to keep an eye on their husbands.

I've always thought of guides as sheet kickers with black teeth and no brains. Guides here were polite young gentlemen who watched their language with an abiding demonstration of respect for Joyce. Maybe they knew the way to my heart was to be supportive of her. We shared the lodge with a father and son from Jersey who we bonded with immediately. When we all left the last morning -- guides, Jersey guys, Frank and Joyce -- it was all manhugs and tears. We all laughed through those tears when I said maybe next year we could again smell burnt powder in the morning.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Sounds like you had a good time. I too was looking at their website. I like the part about a person having to pass their test to shoot a small target at 25 yds if they want to shoot with a pistol or bow. Better to fail that than become shish-ke-bob by an angry Russian boar.

Hemmingway once wrote that bull fighters most often get gored while doing their victory bows..

Vermont is one of the most beautiful states in the country.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Now Francis, seeing how females are a super minority hunting at that place they will probably want you and her photo on their next brochure to attract business. Sure sounds to me like opportunity might be knocking for a half price next year's hunt.

Don't start packing for the trip but stand by with your thoughts gathered and remember I am available for carrying your luggage and saying Yes Sir, Yes Maim and of course carrying the guns one step behind you.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:10 PM

Good thought, Rich. I would do that as a freebie. It would be a privilage to have her plastered all over their website. Of course a young hottie would be better. But then we must not forget that she will be 71 next month. And we all know that she can shoot .....the .... on horseback while rolling a cigarette. Right?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:54 PM
SS/Veteran

HOG HUNTERS YOU GOTTA SEE THIS.
google in hog attack while flounder gigging.

MULE.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 PM

i don't believe there are any true breed russian boar around. all that i've heard of, seen, hunted and killed in the carolinas, georgia and texas are a ferral boar cross breed, between hogs that were introduced by the early americas spanish conquistadors/settlers and true russian boars brought in by much later immigrants. not all strains look alike in coloring - with some having larger bristle 'razor' hackles and others with shorter and smoother coats, but all have some 'russian' in 'em, and all are NOT to be trusted. this is not like deer hunting. you need you have some respect for these critters for you step feet in their world.

these boar are *nasty* in every respect - temperament, attitude, and the fact they *destroy* crop lands. they can handle any climate north america can throw at them and they breed faster and with more young'uns than rabbits. you go down south and farmers will practically pay you to kill as many as you can. one 10k land plot in south georgia offered well over a hundred gun dead hogs a few dayze before we arrived and still we culled out 5 more (with trad bows) and collectively spotted over 2 dozen.

these ferral hogs have pressed northward. they are confirmed in jersey and new york. this is the beginning of troubles for crop farmers. fellers, git yer guns ... and get ready to taste some fine eatin' table fare!

2 ferral hogs my bud curt killed earlier this year down in florida ...

matt's BIG a$$ near 300# boar he arrowed down in georgia ... one arrow through the heart, too ...
Old 10-05-2010, 03:58 PM

Guys, and especially rfd, I make no pretence of understanding the natural history of the boars. From what I read and what was siad, the aristocracy of boars is the Russian. These are purely bred in some, or for some, game farms and preserves. Those that we hunted were pure bred russian and they were in a controlled enviornment -- a large fenced in acreage. That they are huntably wild that way is apparently not a problem.

I would gladly sacrifice the quality breeding for a little cheaper price. rfd, I hope you know you planted a seed with Joyce and Frank.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:27 PM

then you and joyce weren't hunting usa ferral boar (the spanish-russian cross breed), you got the high class imported REAL russians. way cool.

you paid enuf fer yer pair of pigs for more than a few southern hunts, and it will be REAL hunting ....