Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

The way I understand it from reading their website, they import species of animals not native to Vermont, which has a neat side effect that Vermont State regulations can not enforce anything there. They fence a large chuck of land and open hunting and taking of game again not native to Vermont for a fee. Makes perfect sense to me. A ferral hog would be a native but the Russian hog is not. Do not look for whitetail deer on their list to take-which would simplify my explaination I am getting tangle foot here. If gators would winter over they would be on the list of items to take.

Sounds to me like a place established to let city folks go and pay and come back with an adventure. Frank and Joyce just dumbfounded them being hunting wise and they enjoyed the catering and or pampering, had a good time and a good memory plus of course the freezer full.

Win, win deal except the kids will have to eat Spam for a few years. I had to say that, didn't want you to think I had gone soft.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Yes, that's about it Rich. What you would call a good deal. More tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:34 PM

"you paid enuf fer yer pair of pigs for more than a few southern hunts, and it will be REAL hunting ....[/quote]

Real hunting is the Virginia whitetail deer. I've talked to moose, bear, elk hunters -- and again, I have no first hand experience -- and they come away from what they do a little short of respect for it. In the end it remains the whitetail. Maybe wild turkeys too.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 PM
SS/Veteran

I never hunted moose, elk, or any real heavy animals.. But common sense says ..How the hell are you going to get this thing out if you kill it?? We're talking remote areas with nothing but a canoe for moose or a horse (if your lucky) for elk..

I''ll stick with stripers
Old 10-08-2010, 11:00 AM

I agree, Montauk. Out west they have pack mules and horses and I think they kind of skim the animals for the best parts -- straps and hind quarters -- but not sure.

I know in New England moose hunting you either have or prepare to have, an outfitter who has heavy equipment once you are drawn for a permit. Getting bullwinkle is the least of it. Also, it is kind of unwritten to not stray too far from tote roads and other driveable access. Nobody ever forgets the very concerns that you've voiced.

I know that the best hunting is out west but unless you drive, you are not taking any meat home -- an issue that is paramount in the minds of Joyce and me. And driving that far, both ways, is a huge committment. Thus, we go full circle and have to acknowledge the future of big game hunting in this region may be in a "canned hunt."
Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 PM
SS/Veteran

Unfortunately, what Francis says is true. The future whether fishing or hunting (accross all boards, and boundaries) is going to be a pay to play event. With some luck I will be outta here when that happens and my grandkids will find new adventures.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:32 PM

I never hunted moose, elk, or any real heavy animals.. But common sense says ..How the hell are you going to get this thing out if you kill it?? We're talking remote areas with nothing but a canoe for moose or a horse (if your lucky) for elk..

My brother Don and I did a moose hunt in New Hampshire (C2 -Success, NH to be exact). My brother shot a moose about 100 yards off the logging road. What we used was called a "MULE". It's basically a winch on a chain saw motor that holds 70 feet of high tensile cable. You attach the cable to the moose antlers pull out 70' of cable, strap the "mule" to a sturdy tree and you winch out the moose 70 feet at a time, one guy working the 'mule" and one guy holding the moose's head up so his antlers don't get caught in all the underbrush. Field dressed the moose weighed 600 lbs and it took us about 2 hours to get it in the truck.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Unfortunately, what Francis says is true. The future whether fishing or hunting (accross all boards, and boundaries) is going to be a pay to play event. With some luck I will be outta here when that happens and my grandkids will find new adventures.
I'm afraid you are correct. Over a relatively short period of time (20-30 years) there have been dramatic changes in fishing. And it has not been for the better.

As far as "canned" hunts. I suppose fishing a stocked trout stream or lake is "canned" fishing..

As long as a person gets joy out of it then so be it!!
Old 10-09-2010, 08:48 AM

Certain kinds of hunting are met with dirision by other hunters. Frankly, I'm a little surprised here that we haven't had more of that over the Russian boar discussion. In our own social circles we also expected that same derision but it has not materialized.

I think a lot of the things in hunting could be held under a microscope -- like buck selection from a permanent tripod stand with stairs overlooking a Texas sandaro, or hanging out near timed feeders. I have a great pheasant story for yuz but we are going out the door for fall turkeys this AM where we break up a flock, crawl into the bushes and whack a young bird that has come back crying for its momma. It ain't canned but it ain't nice needer. Remind me to site the pheasant example.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:27 PM
SS/Veteran

Francis, you want some ridicule? Ok I want to understand your hunting experience. You paid to shoot the snoots out of Soviet (Russian) immigrant who all he was doing was taking a mud bath with is lady friends hoping to get some? Beaters with pots and spoons clanging drove him out of his bliss and then a couple of people cut loose with a hail of shotgun slugs? Say it ain't so!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Sometimes you have to fish in an artificial environment in order to get the thrill you seek (at a much cheaper rate to boot). For example, a dream of mine is Pacific Northwest steelhead in a grand river with huge snow capped mountains looming overhead. Instead I have settled for inplants of Washington strain steelhead into the Salmon River New York for my angling.

Merlin, if Frank's true striper experience is leaning against a buggy while a surfcasting guide points to a bucking rod in a sand spike..saying "Frank, grab that!!"..then we have a problem because we have all been duped.

Those two pigs would have cost like at least $$15 GRAND in the wilds of eastern Russia.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:42 AM

The efficacy of hunting tame animals is one which has gotten a great deal of attention in hunting circles whenever reared and stocked game is shot. Indeed, the notion of hunting something that lacks the inherent qualities of wildness found in natural game has often brought what is done into question. But hunters who have expereinced the same species from both pen rearing and naturally bred witness the opportunity to make comparisons. In most cases, but never all, there is no discernable difference in behaviour or what they call huntability. The Chinease ringed neck pheasant is but one example.

Last week we had a competent pointing dog make game, lock up on point, but fail to ?straighten it out? as we say. Meanwhile a club member passing in his pick up cautioned us that he had seen the rooster duck into some cover ahead of the pointer. Our dog pointed again, we moved in for the shot and nothing flew or ran and we never did get the bird. A bird that had come from generations of pen reared ancestors that have never been in the wild nor hunted before managed to evade all three of us. Thus, what could be referred to as ?tame chickens? because of marginal ancestry and questionable breeding practices is able to exhibit the very wildness hunters hope to experience. Most of us who hunt have already seen it.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:28 AM
SS/Veteran

And then there was the time I saw dollars signs in my eyes and raised a batch of Ringneck Pheasants hopefully to raise up and sell to a local game club. Bought them as chicks and feed corn etc twice a day. They were in an enclosure building with perhaps an 8 foot high large fenced in area. They looked forward to me coming to feed them twice a day. Well, as the story goes I sold them to the club and gathered them up in cages and set them loose in the area the game club had chosen, got paid and considered it deal done.

My feedback came to soon as the first hunter showed up after leaving he birds there for several days and the birds (as the hunter was loading his gun) ran up to his feet thinking he had supper.

Later I learned (before the Internet) that you have to have a real high (tall) fenced in area (so they can fly) and as a feeder you have to disguise yourself when feeding namely not looking like a man. To much trouble and I aborted that venture. Much later I found out the birds were driven from hunters into someone's backyard and some kid massacred them with a pellet gun.

Does this story fit in here?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:42 PM

I suppose the story fits. When a thread runs a long time, digression is kind of in the cards once all the good input gets used up. I know that properly run pheasant farms minimize human exposure, have flight pens for wing development and are down bred for smaller size because they want good flight qualities and big birds don't have that.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Ok--back to hunting. If you have been following this thread you know I purchased a trail camera last week. I wanted to master this little beastly camera thingie. Easy set up they advertise but if you are old that is an afternoon project. That said I set it up 100 yards back on my land, with a stump on the left with wire around it and put some old meat in it ( I cleaned out the freezer) as see in photo, the stump that is, not the freezer. I ordered another card and a card reader, reader has not arrived here yet but I am good to go in the mean time. Waiting with baited breath I had to check just three days later to see what was what and did I program it right and does the durn thing even work?

Seventy one pictures listed on the card so I pulled the camera out to download into this old computer (no card reader yet and have to download directly from camera).

You with me still? Must of the photos were of me adjusting the camera and some night time distant eyeballs glowing in the dark. And then----see photo.

Next I will move on to deer knowing that I have mastered the little beastly camera (well maybe). I think I might fall in love with this new adventure.
Attached Images