Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Sounds like a great pastime. Checking your camara must be like me checking my mouse traps. We have a couple of mice that moved in and it has become my secondary sport. Too bad you can't figure a way to decoyote your yard, like a deadfall or sumpin.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Strange you should write about mice. I have a body count of 23 this year, also known as a trap line. Two of them came from my mother's house down in the city. Friends tell me it is a bumper year for mice this year. I put the dead ones outside and they are gone the next morning with a owl smiling and waiting for a treat.

I was thinking about setting up trail camera above the mouse traps baited with peanut butter with a whole peanut on top as frosting, in the basement and see what this camera will do.

I think I have gone over the edge. I should mention that you only check the trail camera once a week not daily.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Too bad you can't figure a way to decoyote your yard, like a deadfall or sumpin.
I'll buy a live coyote off you. I just bought coyote urine in an effort to repel the racoons tearing up my lawn.

All I want to know is how they obtain the piss
Old 10-13-2010, 09:12 PM

MOntauk, what you got is wood pussies, not coon. Poison the grubs and voiala dem will all be gone.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Mr. Merlin, I think I'm going to spring for one. I put feed and water [especially in dry weather] out daily for a lot of wild animals at my old home place, and I suspect that cats, foxes, ground hogs and other stuff are the ones that clean everything up every night.
My neighbor has shown me some fascinating pictures from his.
Couple years ago, another neighbor showed me a picture of a live, yellowish, full grown cougar that her cousin took with a night camera, two miles outside the city limits of Siler City here in the Piedmont, human population thick as flies. And it was a cougar, not a bobcat. I grew up with bobcats, and my son trapped and lost a black mountain lion that broke the chain and escaped. He set for the animal because it had been seen numerous times. But the wildlife people claim that there are none in N.C.
Dozens of people have seen them. Yeah, as usual, I got way off the subject.

MULE.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:48 AM
SS/Veteran

Mule--you will not regret it. Once you master them you will have some fun at least I am now after two weeks. In by backyard, where I have my two horses so feeding deer or other game is not possible but I found a cheap feeder you can make for corn. Not an option here in the back. Horses do not take to old freezer burnt meat like coyotes but corn they would inhale it.

We as humans have always wondered what critters are out there during the night, especially on our home turf.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:57 AM

Again in the northeast we are having a huge mast crop of acorns. This creates so much feed that the deer don't have to move and causes the deer kill numbers to go down. There are plenty of deer but the numbers taken will not reflect that.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk Surf View Post
I'll buy a live coyote off you. I just bought coyote urine in an effort to repel the racoons tearing up my lawn.

All I want to know is how they obtain the piss
Mr. Montauk you are, as I know from all your posts, an exceptionally intelligent man, and I am surprised that you do not know the answer to that question.
First you wait for them to kill a prized 500 dollar calf as they regularly do here in Linwood. Then you run them off and securely bury about 30 empty bean cans around the dead animal. Slip back quietly that night and cut loose with a 3 inch high powered 12 gauge duck shell. This scares the p**s out of them. At least 2 out of the 30 cups will have the desired harvest in them.
Do not pass this on as I am trying to get a patent on the procedure.
I know, I've got too much BS in me today, as usual.

MULE.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Senior Fellow

It's OK Mule ---you'll be drummin soon. Some fresh salt air and adult beverages and you'll be back to feelin' fine in notime!!!

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 10-27-2010, 04:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestsquid View Post
It's OK Mule ---you'll be drummin soon. Some fresh salt air and adult beverages and you'll be back to feelin' fine in notime!!!
And believe me Al, I'm sure looking forward to it, and in case many on this site don't know of your dark side, my hardiest congratulations to you on your fine showing in the big Drum tournament.

MULE.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:55 PM
SS/Veteran

Back at the Cabin:
"Wood pussies" (in Francis's vernacular are skunks). Skunks love grubs in your lawn. He is right kill the grubs and problem is gone. You can live trap the skunks but you will have to take my lesson on how to do.

Regarding deer: In the northeast of the United States all counts and expectations are down across the boards. Some blame the weather (heavy snows last), some coyotes, and even wolves and of course human type developments. Excess to land is near impossible (sound familiar). There are heavy pockets that remain mostly close to suburbia.

Count now reported in Western Massachusetts is down to twelve to fifteen deer per square mile. The average over the years is forty per square mile. The hot zones now are close to the cities New Jersey, southern CT., close to Boston area, etc. Worchester County is still hot in Ma. also Nantucket (try that one one, if you feel brave and can deal with rejection).

What Francis said: there is a large mask crop again this year. The rut will start soon within two weeks here and the real truth will be told.

He pays me by the word -honest! but not much I have to add.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:19 PM

Deer move for two things: the rut and food. The woods are full of food for the second year. If they don't move, they don't get shot and the total kill is lower, falsely reflecting a reduced herd. This does not bespeak Merlin's woods in western Mass but it does explain much of southern New England and maybe Jersey.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:59 PM

got to shoot a couple of rounds of trap with mrs daignault today she is a great shot.the pics of the wild boar were great.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake slinger View Post
got to shoot a couple of rounds of trap with mrs daignault today she is a great shot.the pics of the wild boar were great.
I don't know who you are. You should bring yourself to my attention when you go to Wallum Lake.

I had a nice morning there today. Dick Hewett says that he has never known anyone to get the preventive maintenence I had tht didn't come out ahead. A couple of the gang had coronary by-pass and said they nevr regretted it. I'm still scared stiff of my prognosis but the reassurances from the guys take a lot of the edge off. I had more pleasure than if I had shot. I was quite surprised with the interest so many showed in the boar hunt. Usually, I dislike pontificating but there was so much interest. Big concern is being ready for next week's RI muzzleloader. I don't think I will be ready for even an easy hunt. Its just too soon.

Isn't my high school sweetheart, at 71, a piece of work? 55 years!
Old 10-30-2010, 05:07 PM

she almost ran them on the first round.i didnt know you guys shot trap. i will introduce my self if i see you there again. thanks craig