Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies

Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies SUV's, "Beach Buggy" Vehicles, Equipment and Getting Stuck

Old 07-20-2010, 07:58 PM

Default Jeep Larado AWD OK for Beach Driving

Had a great Tahoe 4x4 that was superb in the sand, but just got rid of it to pick up a new 2010 Jeep Larado (3.7L 5 cyl.) with full time AWD (no low). The Tahoe was old but in good shape, and I had a deal on this one that I could not pass up.

The 2000 Tahoe had real 4wd with Lo. Drove it on Cape Cod and IBSP with no problems at all.

Jeep has Quadra-Trac I system, and I am not that familiar with it as I just picked the car up.

Will this be sufficient to use for driving on the sand, or do you need full time 4wd for this task?

Is the AWD system any better that other AWD systems in other vehicles like Honda or Toyota?

It does have nice clearance though.

Thanks for any feedback.

Rich
Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Jeep Larado AWD OK for Beach Driving

The Quadra-Trac I System that is on your Jeep runs in 2 wheel drive until it senses slip. Then it runs in 4x4.

The big question is how much slip is needed before it kicks in.
We all know it doesn't take much to dig yourself in on the sand.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
The Quadra-Trac I System that is on your Jeep runs in 2 wheel drive until it senses slip. Then it runs in 4x4.

The big question is how much slip is needed before it kicks in.
We all know it doesn't take much to dig yourself in on the sand.

Thanks Jess.

Jeep does not give you enough info to really know.

Hoping someone who has this system on their jeep sees this and responds.

Regards, Rich
Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

here's some other info... but I've read that AWD is not great on sand. Brigantine explicitly forbids AWD only vehicles in its permit.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_4x4.htm#QTI
Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Administrator

I think with proper deflation, smart driving and the weight of the vehicle you should have no problem.

Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
here's some other info... but I've read that AWD is not great on sand. Brigantine explicitly forbids AWD only vehicles in its permit.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_4x4.htm#QTI

Thanks Rob. Good info.

Regards,

Rich
Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Rich,

As Jess said, being smart about it, you probably would be ok. You're not running dunes out west after all!

Sugar sand still makes me nervous in spots...even in 4wd low with my liberty.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Rich,

As Jess said, being smart about it, you probably would be ok. You're not running dunes out west after all!

Sugar sand still makes me nervous in spots...even in 4wd low with my liberty.

Thanks Guys, very much appreciated.

I am pretty careful, and not looking to "tear it up" at all.

It does have fairly large tires on it stock that once properly deflated should provide decent flotation, and from what I have gathered from the awd system info here and previously, it seems the jeep awd system is just a bit more aggressive than say the system I have on my Honda CR-V, which is FWD first, then the rear kicks in when slippage is detected.

I would never consider taking the Honda onto the sand, btw.

Guess I'll go get my tow hooks put on it, and give her a try this year.

Thanks again, Rich
Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

I have owned Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredos with Quadra-Trac. In my opinion they are far SUPERIOR to standard Command Trac 4x4 system. The Quadra-Trac system allows the engine and transmission to run smoother, at less RPM's, it's just a better overall experience. I have never gotten stuck with a Jeep, even in "sugar sand" conditions.

My current Jeep has Command Trac only because the dealer gave me a huge discount to unload the vehicle. All things considered, IMHO Quadra-Trac is the best, on and off road. You don't need tow hooks!

Please be sure to deflate your tires to a minimum of 15psi. If you sense that the Jeep is laboring or slipping in the sand, GET OUT and lower your tire pressure to 12 psi. BTW I have always used the standard tires on my Jeeps, they work just fine on sand.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D'Amico View Post
I have owned Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredos with Quadra-Trac. In my opinion they are far SUPERIOR to standard Command Trac 4x4 system. The Quadra-Trac system allows the engine and transmission to run smoother, at less RPM's, it's just a better overall experience. I have never gotten stuck with a Jeep, even in "sugar sand" conditions.

My current Jeep has Command Trac only because the dealer gave me a huge discount to unload the vehicle. All things considered, IMHO Quadra-Trac is the best, on and off road. You don't need tow hooks!

Please be sure to deflate your tires to a minimum of 15psi. If you sense that the Jeep is laboring or slipping in the sand, GET OUT and lower your tire pressure to 12 psi. BTW I have always used the standard tires on my Jeeps, they work just fine on sand.

Thanks a lot for the info. So, you have used the Quadra Trac I on sand with good experience. Just want to make sure it's QTI with just the Hi and no Lo function.

With the QTI, are the differentials both front and back limited slip difs and not open difs? Cannot seem to find that info anywhere.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out figuring this stuff out.

Rich
Old 07-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Quote:
With the QTI, are the differentials both front and back limited slip difs and not open difs?
No idea, I just know it works quite well.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:35 PM

I have a quadr trac l. I live in Lima Peru and I had the same questions so I took my laredo to the desert sand . I was very nervous because some comments I read. No problems at all, I never change the tires presure. I did not climb dunes but I try sugar sand with no problems....I have AT tires. You are going to feel the car effort but dont worry. Im very happy with my laredo
Old 07-23-2015, 05:28 PM

I am a few years late to the party. I have 2011 Jeep Grand Laredo Quadra Trac I. From what I understand the way this drive train is designed, is not 2WD until slippage. From what know about this new Generation, the power is 52% in rear and 48% in front. The wheels turn all the time. There is no 4 Low. Its 4 high all he time. This mean when you are required to get rear shift diff fluid changed, you MUST change the Front too. Many experiences with this In the sand and Snow. The snow this entry level 2011 Jeep Grand Laredo is a beast in the snow. it doesn't want to get stuck. Same with snow. Air down in the sand to 15psi. Take OFF the anti-slip and shift down to 1 or 2 and you are good to go!

Last edited by Mad3morg5 : 07-23-2015 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Adding more Text
Old 07-23-2015, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Jeep Larado AWD OK for Beach Driving

Never to late, thanks for the info.

Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 07-24-2015, 04:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad3morg5 View Post
I am a few years late to the party. I have 2011 Jeep Grand Laredo Quadra Trac I. From what I understand the way this drive train is designed, is not 2WD until slippage. From what know about this new Generation, the power is 52% in rear and 48% in front. The wheels turn all the time. There is no 4 Low. Its 4 high all he time. This mean when you are required to get rear shift diff fluid changed, you MUST change the Front too. Many experiences with this In the sand and Snow. The snow this entry level 2011 Jeep Grand Laredo is a beast in the snow. it doesn't want to get stuck. Same with snow. Air down in the sand to 15psi. Take OFF the anti-slip and shift down to 1 or 2 and you are good to go!
I own a jeep with a quadratrack as well. If you have the v6 in your cherokee you should have a look at the transfer case/ differential replacement costs. It'll make you puke!