Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Policy Discussion ....

Frank what has the ebb and flow of new members been like over the years? Has there been stand out times when a bunch of new members jumped in? Seems like we haven't had to say welcome in a while...
-Phil
Old 07-31-2015, 12:03 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Good question. Eventually we lose everybody -- Ox the Canal, Frenchie, Snakebit, Joe Lyons, Reynolds. Those are the ones I miss among many. Then there are the ones who disagreed once and never came back. You get everything. The smallest group are the ones we kick out; many of them came with an agenda. Only one to sell his book but he kicked me in the butt too soon. I think the Internet is evolving in a positive way which shows a natural level of interaction. Early years, and I came here in '99, this site was a social cesspool. Internet participation has improved.

But those years taught me something which still protects me today: If Joe sponsors and is a buddy of Mike and I have to kick out Mike, I watch Joe real close. I also keep notes on members I am watching in a notebook and I have to call on it less and less, which is a good sign. Its an in-progress learning experience to come here daily and the bad times have taught me a lot. I was a virgin in '99 but I don't let anybody bother me now. I have also learned a lot about surfcasting that it would take much longer to learn in the real world. One thing that has disappointed me and that is book sales. I have sold nine books since January 1.

Another source of depression that I have learned to cope with is these unknowns who never met me, like the late "Jointed", who I never was aquainted with when I was on the Cape and who wouldn't have known me if he found me under his bed. Where do these bricks come from"?

More to answer, we are getting less new guys and I am not certain why. It could be that surf fishing is in decline. Lord knows there are any number of reasons -- poor beach access, over-regulation, striper decline, lowering work ethic in a demanding activity. On the other hand, a new thread was put up and it had 50 views before I even saw it; so people lurk way more than they join and post. The last line in one of my books: "nothing stays the same."
Old 07-31-2015, 01:08 PM
SS/Veteran

I think that the decline in the bass population is driving away potential new surfcasters. You can't catch what isn't there, you wrote in more than one of the books, and if there aren't any fish, what's the point? If you're just starting out, how many consecutive skunkings are you willing to endure before you catch a fish? Do you quit after 3? 8? 50?

Is there a point where the catching is so bad that you say the hell with it, and take up gardening or golf?
Old 07-31-2015, 04:20 PM

I get your point but I don't think striper decline is all that dramatic, no where near what it got to during the moratorium. Not that I can continue to draw accurate conclusions with my present reduced level of fishing. But my wife and I still go out and find schoolies with a few keepers mixed in. But before we even put stuff in the buggy prior to a sleep, we know the exact timing of our chosen spot. Maybe we have an unfair advantage compared to a lot of anglers. But that somehow sounds a little overly boastful and I don't want to be one of the very people who are always getting my butt. Surfcasting, as opposed to hunting, is not an old man's game.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:04 AM

The Internet is replete with hostility and contempt and has driven a lot of people away from social interaction sights like this one. Many potential posters are afraid to jump in where their contributions would be welcome. Maybe they see the Internet world as the same one that suffers from a robust crime rate.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:26 PM
SS/Veteran

Back at the ranch: I think it is a combination of wussification and being submisssive to your partner. Of course if you have a partner traveling your life's road you are golden and a pair of brass balls.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:29 PM

Now there is a freaking post if I ever saw one! Rich, be serious about washing your hands when leaving the loading bench. Maybe then we can work on your clarity.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:43 PM
SS/Veteran

People, adults and children are at home playing computer games and posting drivel on network forums, to busy to learn a new passion.
Add to that,many adult males talk big time but in the presents of the partner (warden) they seem to loose those brass thingies.

I haven't loaded lead or cast lead in years but if it works for you I will go back and do it again, maybe that new bucktail mold.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:11 PM

rich, I used to enjoy talking to you but I still don't understand what your point is.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 AM
SS/Veteran

The question was "why has attendance fallen off", less fish, less acsess etc.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:12 AM

I just reread the recent posts and I guess I see your point a little better. Even if we didn't agree on the reasons, we agree that there is decline in shore fishing which would explain the decline in our site.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:04 AM

Unlike many other striper fishing sites, this one is centered around one person -- me. That may appeal to many of our members but it no doubt repulses others. I like to think the difference between "Ask Frank" and they is that our posts address more cogent striper subjects, as opposed to animal noises so often voiced over in Fiction. I should go over there but I forgot my password; I also have a lot of fish writing going on right now in anticipation of 'unting season the last week in September.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:26 PM
SS/Veteran

To state the obvious, on other sites someone asks a question and the peanut gallery responds. It is clear that the people who are responding are not always the most knowledgeable and so the answers are riddled with BS. On this site Frank brings his knowledge but also his BS meter.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:24 PM

Fish and Game agencies do a lot of counting and they protect themselves by frequent, almost excessive, use of the word REPORTED. With my annual fifty-pounder count, an endeavor which I distrust enormously, I count what was reported. That policy covers me from the BS in the world. This raises the question about other sites versus ours: Do we want a site that is loaded with worthless posts? Or, do we prefer less posts but good well thought out ones?
Old 08-10-2015, 06:00 PM
SS/Veteran

Less content, more value. I do not browse any other striper related forums. They don't say anything I don't already know. Here I have learned some valuable insights...

The afformentioned "OX" charecter had some great posts. I could tell he knew the canal.