Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies

Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies SUV's, "Beach Buggy" Vehicles, Equipment and Getting Stuck

Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Beach Buggy Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank N

... Toyota means recall in English
Guess GM and Toyota are on the list.

Jeep's aren't listed, but I knew of one recall for my Liberty (for which the dealer will have to take care of, as they didn't have the rear control arm in stock, all the way up until I traded it in!)

Below are details of some other recent major recalls.
March 2012 - BMW (BMWG.DE) says it is recalling about 1.3 million cars for repair worldwide due to a possible problem with a battery cable cover in the trunk. The recall affects 5- and 6-Series BMWs built between 2003 and 2010.
September 2011 - Honda (7267.T) says it will recall about 960,000 Fit subcompacts and other models globally to repair defects including malfunctioning power window switches.
May 2011 - Honda expands earlier recalls of Honda and Acura vehicles over airbags that could deploy with too much pressure, causing injuries or fatalities, adding more than 833,000 vehicles from model years 2001-2003. This is the fourth time Honda has widened its airbag recall, first announced in 2008. The number of vehicles affected is now 1.65 million.
January 2011 - Toyota says it will recall more than 1.7 million vehicles worldwide, bringing its total for recalls to nearly 16 million since late 2009 and dealing a blow to its efforts to restore its reputation for quality.
October 2010 - Toyota will recall a total of about 1.66 million vehicles, mostly in Japan, the United States and China, for problems involving brakes and fuel pumps.
October 2010 - BMW voluntarily recalls 350,000 cars worldwide due to possible brake problems. The problem affects brand 5, 6 and 7 Series models built since 2002.
August 2010 - Toyota recalls 1.3 million Corolla and Matrix cars from 2005-2008 model years in the United States and Canada.
June 2010 - GM (GM.N) announces the recall of 1.5 million trucks, crossovers and cars from model years 2006-2009 as the unit that heats the windshield washer fluid could catch fire.
March 2010 - GM says it is recalling 1.3 million compact cars covering the 2005-2010 model year Chevrolet Cobalt and 2007-2010 Pontiac G5 in the U.S.; the 2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit sold in Canada; and the 2005-2006 Pontiac G4 sold in Mexico.
January 2010 - Toyota issues a series of recalls covering 5.6 million vehicles in the United States due to sudden acceleration in some vehicles.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Beach Buggy Recall

Don't see my Nissan Frontier on the list, yay! Even though my wife is constantly harping " Don't why you ever bought this frickin' thing. Smells like fish and that damn dog!"
God I love my truck.
If only she knew what I paid for the rods/reels.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:52 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLBI View Post
Don't see my Nissan Frontier on the list, yay! Even though my wife is constantly harping " Don't why you ever bought this frickin' thing. Smells like fish and that damn dog!"
God I love my truck.
If only she knew what I paid for the rods/reels.
Dido !!!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 AM

Ditto x 2

The Frontier was on my short list for a new vehicle, but decided to go with another Jeep, Nissan reliability notwithstanding.

Below is the recall for my old Liberty... when I contacted the Jeep dealer they said the part was backordered, took my name to be put on a list and I never heard back from them.

Chrysler Recalls 210,000 Jeep Liberty S.U.V.’s for Rust-Prone Suspension Component

Chrysler Group2005 Jeep Liberty, one of the models named in the recall action.
?Chrysler said it would recall almost 210,000 of its 2004-5 Jeep Liberty sport utility vehicles because rust could cause a rear suspension component to break, according to document filed early Wednesday on the Web site of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
?The recall follows an investigation by the safety agency that began almost a year ago, generated by complaints from owners who said that rear lower control arms were fracturing.
?The automaker said it was aware of 83 such failures, but did not know of any accidents because of the rust condition. Some owners told N.H.T.S.A. that though they didn’t crash, they lost control of their vehicles.
?Chrysler convinced the agency that a nationwide recall was not necessary. Instead, the recall covers 20 states that rely heavily on road salt during the winter months. They are Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia and Wisconsin, as well as Washington, D.C.

?Consumer advocates criticize such actions, commonly known as regional recalls, because vehicles are often moved from region to region. Drivers consequently might miss a free safety repair because automakers are allowed by the agency to conduct regional recalls. The agency has disagreed with this assessment.
?Chrysler told the agency it would reimburse owners who already had the repair if they could provide proof, like a receipt, for the work completed.
?Last year, in a regional recall of nearly 200,000 Pathfinders and Infiniti QX4s, Nissan said it would check vehicles outside those states and make any repair without cost.
?Asked in an e-mail whether Chrysler would do the same, Vince Muniga, a company spokesman, wrote that the recall covered vehicles “that were originally sold in a salt belt state or are currently registered in a salt belt state.”
?Chrysler has had a series of problems with the suspension system of the Liberty. In 2006, the automaker recalled about 827,000 from the 2002-6 model years because the front lower ball joints could fail, possibly leading to a loss of steering.
?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:38 PM

not a recall... yet but wowzee

Jeep, an Obama favorite, looks to shift production to China

In another potential blow for the president's Ohio reelection campaign, Jeep, the rugged brand President Obama once said symbolized American freedom, is considering giving up on the United States and shifting production to China. Such a move would crash the economy in towns like Toledo, Ohio, where Jeeps are made and supplied, and rob the community of the economic security they thought Obama's auto bailout assured them.
Obama is such a fan of Jeep that he included a picture of himself speaking at the Toledo plant in his newly released second term agenda binder. In his address to the plant in 2011, Obama said, "I just took a short tour of the plant and watched some of you putting the finishing touches on the Wrangler. Now, as somebody reminded, I need to call it the 'iconic' Wrangler. And that's appropriate because when you think about what Wrangler has always symbolized. It symbolized freedom, adventure, hitting the open road, never looking back."
Well it appears that the taxpayer bailed-out Chrysler is looking back and now considering cutting costs by shifting production of all Jeeps to China, which has a strong desire for Jeeps.
In a Bloomberg interview, Jeep's president said the automaker plans to restore Jeep production in China, suspended in 2009, and is considering making all Jeeps in China. "Fiat SpA, majority owner of Chrysler Group LLC, plans to return Jeep output to China and may eventually make all of its models in that country, according to the head of both automakers' operations in the region," reported the business wire service.
Mike Manley, chief operating officer of Fiat and Chrysler in Asia and president of the Jeep brand, told Bloomberg, "We're reviewing the opportunities within existing capacity" as well as "should we be localizing the entire Jeep portfolio or some of the Jeep portfolio" to China.
Chrysler builds Jeep SUV models at plants in Michigan, Illinois and Ohio. Manley said the firm is in talks with China's Guangzhou Automobile Group Co.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 AM

Another Potential Jeep recall... this would be huge if forced to do so by the feds.

Wonder if the feds think Jeep is a republican brand? Perhaps Chrysler can prove they are being singled out?

Chrysler disputes recall of 2.7 million Jeeps

Phil LeBeau CNBC
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • GooglePlus
  • Email
14 hours ago
Reuters file
Chrysler has disputed a recall of older Jeep models, such as this 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which U.S. regulators say have fuel tanks behind the axle, which leave them less protected in the event of a rear-end collision.

In a highly unusual move for an automaker, Chrysler is fighting a request from the federal government to recall 2.7 million Jeep vehicles.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) asked Chrysler to recall the Jeep models in question because of concerns the fuel tank may leak and contribute to deadly fires if the vehicles are hit in a rear-impact crash.
Chrysler is still formulating a formal response for the federal government, but already started disputing the need for a recall in a press release Tuesday.
It's unclear how the dispute will be resolved or how long the two sides will battle over the safety of two popular Jeep models.
(Read More: Chrysler Profit Growth Slows Due to Costs)
The NHTSA request involves 2.7 million Jeeps, specifically, 1993-2004 Grand Cherokee models and 2002-2007 Liberty models. All of the vehicles have fuel tanks that are located behind the rear axle. According to the NHTSA, 51 deaths have been linked to rear-impact crashes where those models caught on fire after being hit.
The letter from the federal safety agency outlines the problem saying: "The performance defect is that the fuel tanks installed on these vehicles are subject to failure when the vehicles are struck from the rear. Such failure can result in fuel leakage, which in the presence of external ignition sources, can result in fire. The design defect is the placement of the fuel tanks in the position behind the axle and how they were positioned, including their height above the roadway."
Video: NHTSA tells Chrysler there's a problem with the gas tank on 2.7 million Jeeps, but Chrysler refuses to comply. The two sides will talk and attempt to come to a solution, reports CNBC's Phil LeBeau.

The NHTSA does not specify what remedy it believes Chrysler should pursue to fix the problem it alleges.
Chrysler has until June 18 to issue a formal response explaining why it will not comply with the recall request.
(Read More: Pickups Power May Auto Sales)
In a written statement, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne defended the safety of the Jeep models in question saying: "The safety of drivers and passengers has long been the first priority for Chrysler brands and that commitment remains steadfast. The company stands behind the quality of its vehicles. All of us remain committed to continue working with NHTSA to provide information confirming the safety of these vehicles."
The 2.7 million Jeeps met federal vehicle safety standards when they were manufactured. The NHTSA agrees with this claim in its letter to Chrysler, but doesn't think that is enough. "The existence of a minimum standard does not require NHTSA to ignore deadly problems."
So why is Chrysler challenging the recall?
A source familiar with the situation, who asked to remain anonymous, says the automaker believes the rate of fatal rear-impact crashes for the Jeeps is no greater than the fatality rate for other vehicles involved in rear-impact crashes that result in a fire.
At issue is how to measure fatality rates for vehicles.
When taking a look at the number of fatal rear-impact crashes per millions of miles driven, the Jeep rate, according to sources, is lower. In addition, without a formal remedy suggested, the question becomes how would Chrysler ensure the safety of the Jeeps.
It's rare when a vehicle manufacturer balks at a NHTSA request for a recall.
(Read More: Leasing Hits New Highs, Auto Loans Surge)
Every year, there are dozens of recalls and most of the time the federal government, automakers and parts suppliers hold numerous discussions about the specific problem and how to fix it.
As one industry veteran described it, there's a healthy and vigorous debate, but eventually everyone involved agrees to a solution.
That's what makes Chrysler's response to the recall request so unusual. It is challenging the evidence, including pictures of many horrific fatal accidents, collected by the NHTSA.
Eventually, Chrysler and the NHTSA are likely to negotiate some type of settlement. If not, the matter could play out in a public hearing and be decided in court.

-----------

In another unrelated matter, I'm still trying to convince my wife to get a Honda something or other to replace our Ford Escape. Or Perhaps Nissan has an equivalent sized vehicle?

Something in my gut doesn't trust the Escape, and want to get rid of it while it has value.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 AM

Not about beach buggies, but more a reference to Frank N's famous quote "Toyota means 'recall' in English"

BTW, WHERE IS FRANK?

Toyota recalls 242,000 Prius, Lexus hybrid cars

TOKYO (AP) -- Toyota Motor Corp. said Wednesday it is recalling about 242,000 of its Prius and Lexus hybrid vehicles due to problems with their braking systems.
The recall applies to about 233,000 Prius vehicles made between March and October 2009 and about 9,000 Lexus HS250h models made between June and October 2009.
The Prius vehicles affected are sold worldwide. The Lexus sedans are sold in the U.S. and Japan.
Of the total, 91,000 were sold in North America. Another 30,000 were sold in Europe.
The automaker said brake pressure parts in the vehicles are made of a weak material that could crack due to vibration, slowing response times.
It said there were no accidents or injuries caused by the problem so far, but the company has received dozens of complaints.
Toyota suffered a blow to its reputation from a series of massive recalls in 2009 and 2010, including faulty braking, sticky gas pedals and defective floor mats.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 PM

But I love my Toyota....94' 4runner. I did have a 98' Tacoma that had a recall for "frame preforations". There were 6-8" long x 3" wide holes in my frame. Not safe at all. They did give me a nice fat check for $10,335 though and I bought the truck for $10k and drove it around for 3 years, so I wasn't complaining. Great trucks though on the beach
Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 AM

I know of guys who run Toyota's on the beach, including a "famous" guy who's a rep for Tackle Direct down here... yeah, those "frame" recalls are enough to scare me away from purchase, but no doubt the vehicles are good otherwise... probably better than "American" (whatever that means in today's global auto industry)

Heck, my Jeep's "traction control" light just came on yesterday on the way home from work. This disables the cruise control. What the heck!?! (edit: was a temporary glitch in the "ESC"..electronic stability control... system. Apparently this "idiot light" comes on and then clears periodically whenever something happens... in this case I believe it was hard acceleration over a bumby surface that triggered it. anywho... it cleared this morning)

Last edited by RobS : 06-07-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:17 PM

Well right now I'd be hesistant to have any late model GM buggy. Geesh.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:14 AM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

On that Liberty/Cherokee rear gas tank collision recall Chrysler's fix is to install a rear tow hitch for protection. If you don't have one they will put one on. If you already have one they will reimburse you.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob View Post
On that Liberty/Cherokee rear gas tank collision recall Chrysler's fix is to install a rear tow hitch for protection. If you don't have one they will put one on. If you already have one they will reimburse you.
Does this mean I can get a rear tow hitch on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Administrator

It appears it's only for Grand Cherokees and Libertys. My Jeep is not one of the "Grand" ones and truth be told, I prefer it that way.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:13 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

Looks like the Grand, but you can ask any dealer.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:37 PM

not many beach buggies on the list but "Toyota means 'recall' in English" just issues another massive recall

Total Recall

Toyota announced a global recall of 6.4 million vehicles for five separate types of problems.
Model Problem Total
Japan: RAV4, Vanguard & Mark X

Outside of Japan: RAV4, Corolla, Matrix, Yaris, Yaris Sedan, Land Cruiser Prado,
Highlander, Tacoma, Reiz, Camry, Hilux, Fortuner & Innova Pontiac Vibe (GM)
Spiral cable 3,500,000
Japan: ist, Vitz, Belta & Ractis

Outside Japan: Scion xD, Urban Cruiser (?), Yaris & Yaris sedan
Seat rail, wiper motor, instrument-panel bracket 2,870,000
Porte, Spade,
Corolla Axio, Corolla Fielder, Auris & Ractis
Trezia (Subaru)
Starter relay 20,000