Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - CT and RI

Fishing - CT and RI Connecticut and Rhode Island Fishing Reports and Information

Old 10-10-2016, 03:26 PM
SS/Veteran

Default It was for the birds

44 degrees when I left the house 5:30 am 1st off don't know how I did it but I was off the tide by an hour ? weather report 8-12 MPH winds turned into small craft warnings about 30 mph @ 6;45 this am , Two seagulls fighting over above me & a small snapper ( released ) hit the tip of my rod for starters . This was a beach I fish frequently & on almost every cast the line was tight w/ a HUGE possibility 2 - 3 lb Bird maybe more ( I call them ) some folks call them B52's , SEA ROBINS , if I moved a 1/4 mile down the beach there they were , Top water , metal, twitch bait , spoons everything bastards were hungry . No Bass , no blues, just birds . I'll give it a shot again on Wednesday . No traffic on I -95 stopped in the Bass Pro Shop for some goodies.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:36 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: It was for the birds

I recall running into (what I'm told were) "spawning" birds behind the hook one spring. Hundreds breaking water and I caught them on a topwater fly. Would've made good meals if I had (a) known or (b) been interested LOL.

Stayed for an hour then left them biting. Wierd but fun for a little while. I guessed them in excess of 3 lbs each.

Funny, I had never heard of a bird blitz in the fall
Old 10-10-2016, 04:34 PM
SS/Veteran

I wear a size 11 Chota boot along side made my boot look small. I forgot to take a temp reading this am , but that water was very warm , warm @ less tan 4 feet. if they were feeding on the oyster bed ? I don't know much about them , I thought about getting the 8w back @ the truck but the wind was in my face .
Old 10-10-2016, 04:37 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

30MPH wind in your face is no fun with a fly rod. The only time I did it was during a gator blue blitz that I ran into accidentally during the start of a Noreaster, with *only* a 9wt in the car. Fish were 2 rod lengths off the tip, so I only had to punch a clouser <20' to hook up with a monster!

Not sure I'd do that for birds