Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:13 AM

Default The press ......

What are your views regarding how the written press operates? Are you satisfied with how things are done? Do you believe some, all, none or most of what you read? Reflect upon any experiences you may have had -- good or bad. These days there is a fire storm of acrimony on this.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:40 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: The press ......

Many years ago, I was involved in an incident and subsequent writeup in a local newspaper that exposed how slanted a view is presented. Nothing criminal, but what was written did not at all reflect what happened.

I've been an amateur radio operator since a kid, and used to listen to short wave broadcasts... there was a vast difference of what BBC, Radio Moscow and Voice of America put out about the same events... and really if you did an A+B+C you'd have a more realistic view of the actual event. Not to mention mainland media reporting, which was a joke.

Today, more than ever, there are slants on both sides that make it unbelievable.

Bottom line, I trust the press less than I trust state politicians, which are slightly above rodents, in smell. Rodents don't lie.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:44 PM

They lie constantly. I don't think we get news in the US, we get brainwashing lies and manipulation. On the TV at least. You've gotta sort through all the nonsense on the internet to find any real news. They will call real truthful news "fake news" on the tv.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:47 PM

I agree with everything posted so far. Remarks support an overall contempt and distrust for media. I feel that there is so much abuse in media reporting that something should be done to protect the public from First Amendment abuse. Press abuses can bring down entire governments. Ever notice that all insurrections begin with taking over the media? Once you have control over communications, you can say anything. Third world countries experience this all the time. I don't care what member personal politics are, what is happening today in the US is very dangerous. Whatever your political persuasion, if one side can do it then so can the other. I have genuine concerns. Presently, the First Amendment is mired in abuse.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:42 PM
SS/Veteran

If you witnessed today's press meeting with the president , its a new format on the way he answers the " Fake Reporters ". It's New Your style with a splash of broadway.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookI View Post
If you witnessed today's press meeting with the president , its a new format on the way he answers the " Fake Reporters ". It's New Your style with a splash of broadway.
The press meeting was well done when one considers that the reporters really ganged up on Trump. I thought he made some good points about the many vicious attacks heaped upon him. Of course if you have ever been a victim of the press you never forget it. Eventually, the press will take Trump down; you can see it. NY Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe will beat him but a huge portion of the public will stop buying newspapers when the smoke clears and news, as we know it, will be history. Already public confidence is flagging. No one in my neighborhood subscribes to a newspaper.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 AM
SS/Veteran

...yesterdays show was compared to one of the best in Vegas from " the man that gets no respect " enjoy www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQLv7CG10B4
Old 02-17-2017, 11:43 AM
SS/Veteran

Every time I see the title of this thread, I think of Moe, Larry and Curly doing this gag from Three Little Beers:
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2017, 11:44 AM

No accountability so its very hard to trust them anymore.
Not having to disclose a source for your information has always been
a double edged sword in the press. Nowadays if a press report does not include a real persons name as a source - I generally don't believe it. The days of "undisclosed" or "confidential" sources are numbered. The general public needs to know who the sources are if they are expected to believe a stories authenticity IMO.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:14 PM

I didn't need Donald Trump to teach me to hate the press. But he is the only one around who shares my sentiments about them. (Note that I have carefully avoided politicalization of this thread.)

The Boston Globe has been putting editorials which belong on the editorial pages on the front pages. These are not news stories. Rather, they are opinion pieces which deride Trump and his office unfairly while cloaked in news pages. Hence, this is Trumps bases for calling what is published "fake news". It is.

Please don't misunderstand: I am not trying to hold sway on one party or candidate over another. Rather, I am lamenting the media's newfound protocols where they have seen fit to editorialize the entire newspaper no longer limiting opinion pieces to the customary placement which we readers have all come to know. In a way it is a violation of trust, a change of custom imposed upon we readers. You could also say that they have hijacked the news from NEWSpapers. The traditional print media is apparently pissed because their girl did not win the election. I didn't vote for Trump; I voted against Hillary. And now that I see the Democratic obstructionist response I am glad I did. Its an enigmatic place for an old union man democrat to find himself in.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Have not read a newspaper in 5 years since my dog Zack passed , who would retrieve it off the lawn & when he could not find it , went up the road to the lawyers home & snatch his Wall Street Journal. great dog .
Old 02-17-2017, 08:11 PM
SS/Veteran

"Freedom of the press in the United States is protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. This clause is generally understood as a means to prevent the government from interfering with the distribution of information and opinions." You may not like it but what is the alternative? All dictators and totalitarian states have utilized control over the press and media to their advantage, in fact, it is practically required to have control over the press to have a totalitarian regime.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:23 AM

Andrew, we know all that and it has been covered. I don't think the First Amendment supports lies. Do I have to tell my press story again? Did you forget that I have a Press Card in my wallet? I also wrote a guest editorial for the Fisherman called, "Is it True?" less than a year ago.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 AM
SS/Veteran

I actually agree, and I think it is the result of the fact that news outlets are becoming more and more desperate to stay in business. But like I said, what is the alternative?
Old 02-18-2017, 09:10 AM

The press, instead of being neutral, has an agenda. They use unnamed sources all too often and give too much personal commentary and speculation. Like we need them to interpret the facts.

I absolutely love how Bill Belichick handles the press. They try their best to start a controversy, but Bill is way too smart to be manipulated and he can shut them down with ease.

I personally have been a witness to events that were later published in the newspaper. Some facts had been distorted and other information left out and that can mislead the reader into coming to the wrong conclusion.