Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:24 PM

Default Re: The press ......

If I have to evaluate each story, sift through the crap to determine what is true, I'd rather cast a wider net and do it on the internet. At least everyone knows it's the internet where you have to double check everything.
A lot of people seem to uncritically accept what they see reported on the big mainstream news sources, and I think this is a mistake.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:47 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

I was working in the circulation department of a Gannett newspaper in 1999 when the Senate acquitted Clinton. I was in the newsroom watching the TV when the vote was being tallied. When the acquittal was confirmed, the 'reporters' cheered, clapping and hollering.

I shook my head in disgust at the lack of impartiality.

We can debate the 'fake news', but anyone watching/reading anything cannot debate there is a slant in the news one way or another.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:05 AM

There are a lot of ways to spin a story. For instance, you can intentionally leave out facts which weaken your chosen side of related issues. For example if a man bites a dog and you are on the dog's side you can point out that there have been past complaints against the man for abusing dogs. You don't name the sources of these complaints because you made them up and they really never happened anyway. Reporters all know people will come down on the dog's side every time.

Or in regions known to favor a political party the popular party gets coverage on all the good things they do while the reporter avoids bad news about the popular party. Now the unpopular political party does not have its good deeds reported but its sins are front page.

Then there is guilt by association: conservatives, gun owners, 2nd Amendment advocates, NRA types hold a Make-a-Wish shoot raising thousands of dollars for kids. With all that new money for a worthy charity, you would think they would come back next year for another charity shoot. No. The successful fund raiser was not covered by the local press which is known to have reservations about all those conservatives engaged in a noble gesture. The Make-a-Wish shoot was never held at the local gun club again.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Here is your spin Frank.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:06 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
There are other ways that the press can exert a dishonest influence. For instance, having agenderized the news may not be fake but it still fails its readership. The last summer Olympics the first U.S. gold medal was won by Kim Rhodes for a shooting event. Inasmuch as shooting/guns were involved the Boston Globe did not report the shooting event for the first US gold medal. That paper does not have an outdoor column, though admittedly I don't know why. I know that if a hunter shoots himself by accident as happened last fall that is news, and it was reported. Hope I am not taking too long to point out often the press makes a call which has a purpose which follows party lines. It may not be fake news but it is a failure to provide unbiased reporting which is every bit as bad as fake news. And don't tell me that we need the press to keep us informed. We need to be informed with what is true and failure to report something good done by a conservative but always the bad things done by a conservative is not responsible, balanced reporting. The press can screw you. I know because I was once a victim.
When I opened and started this thread it was never intended to be about Donald Trump. You don't have to be a president to be screwed by the press. Remember Cecil the African lion?
I'm completely on board (if you'll pardon my boating reference) with what you're saying here, Frank. I think the term "fake news" includes all fraud, lies, and deceit which can later be proved as such. These appear blatant. Not as blatant are the stories that don't include all the facts, only the ones that fit the agenda. These are deceptive, but not as obvious, and seem acceptable to many because they fly under the guise of good writing. I think that casual readers sometimes gets taken in en masses by these.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:15 PM

I know first hand that some columnists reward their friends and punish their enemies through book reviews. For years I was flattered with rave reviews of my books in his outdoor column. Then I bought a $350 bird hunt for he and I and his dog was repeatedly caught eating the birds the dog was supposed to be pointing. It was a big disappointment for both of us and he really was embarrassed. It had been late in the bird season and I didn't call him again. Next time I e-mailed him I found out he had blocked me. When my next book came out his book review panned the title unmercifully saying that the author, me, was a writer needing a lot of editing and that no editing had really ever been done. "Everybody needs editing," he said. What about his readers who rely upon his reviews?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Let me remind you that I didn't put up this thread because of our latest president. I was screwed by the press over 15 years ago, long before Trump ever thought of running for president. Many of our members have their own reasons for distrusting the media so I am not the only one with an axe to grind.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
The press meeting was well done when one considers that the reporters really ganged up on Trump. I thought he made some good points about the many vicious attacks heaped upon him. Of course if you have ever been a victim of the press you never forget it. Eventually, the press will take Trump down; you can see it. NY Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe will beat him but a huge portion of the public will stop buying newspapers when the smoke clears and news, as we know it, will be history. Already public confidence is flagging. No one in my neighborhood subscribes to a newspaper.
Aren't you "the press" Frank"? Did you write biased fishing stories? You don't know any writers or editors? Were they "biased"? You'd think someone in the field would have a bit more of a clue.

Unfortunately it's bitter old guys like you who fall for everything they're fed hook, line, and sinker.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer114 View Post
Aren't you "the press" Frank"? Did you write biased fishing stories? You don't know any writers or editors? Were they "biased"? You'd think someone in the field would have a bit more of a clue.

Unfortunately it's bitter old guys like you who fall for everything they're fed hook, line, and sinker.
Yes, I am a member of the press who writes stories on how and where to fish and I strive to tell the truth. I am bitter because I was once attacked, my reputation tarnished, by the press when I fired a round down the throat of one of two dogs that attacked my wife and I without warning or reason. I am old because I was lucky to have gone this far. I am also smart because when I don't like somebody I keep the heck away from them. Grant me this one favor: SCREW!
Old 03-12-2017, 11:47 AM

One of the things that is coming in modern day examinations of the press is that the press is out to get Trump and they will take him down. Every day we see examples of their gunning for him. The lack of balance is one thing but gunning for Trump brings the 1St Amendment to a new level. The political division in place today is very scary. It brings into question the ability for our democracy to function. Both parties keep widening the gap.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Senior Fellow

I think this great divide, where the parties refuse to work for any common good, began with Bill Clinton and has reached a crescendo. We have seen it in the past but not to the extent that it has become so apparent even at the local levels. It's a damned shame and many elected officials have joined the marketing gig as opposed to public service oriented focus.

There is little or no objectivity remaining among journalists... they have become hard left or right and the MSM no longer attempts to even feign nonpartisan views. I can't help but believe the overlying mission is to divide and conquer and think it is the main motivation of the crowd that believes the earth can only survive with a New World Order.

Our children and grandchildren will have their hands full. In addition the attempt to bring down Trump is driven by those who don't want him disturbing their sweet elected careers and others who like the heavy hand of government. It has little or nothing to do with his platform. He will be the last citizen servant to take on the daunting task of trying to reign in the political establishment.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 03-13-2017, 09:32 AM

One aspect of the problem is that people no longer trust the press. Every time I read something I am distracted by this deep, underlying distrust for what I just read. I begin to read something, see an attack, then don't trust the story any longer then drop it. I'm down to reading obituaries because I can be fairly certain the sonovabitch is, in fact, dead.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:45 AM

One thing people are beginning to notice is that the press has lost its political objectivity. I have never seen so much political influence in daily reporting. In my region the press despises conservatives and clearly shows a bias for the liberal agendas. Of course newspapers in my region are liberal which makes me wonder if papers in other areas do not reflect a conservative bias. There must be somebody out there in the heartland that is conservative inasmuch as we have a republican congress and white house.

Man, does the Boston Globe, NY Times and Washington Post ever hate Trump!
Old 04-04-2017, 04:47 PM

There is a cadre of conservatives, like the O'Reilly factor, who are beginning to say that the press leaning too heavily on the liberal side. It is a distant spark of concern that there cannot be a two party system in a ONE party media dominance.

I nearly didn't vote because frankly, I did not like either of the candidates. I hesitate discussing this because I don't want stripersurf.con to address politics. For one thing, I do not have a good political background. But I dispise the press so much that some nights it keeps me awake. All you have to have happen is be treated unfairly and you really lose it.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:57 PM
SS/Veteran

...its ok Mr. D not having political background , its all in the agent . Just tell people what they don't want to hear & you will be popular . That's how they stay on TV . People love to hate .