Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:44 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: The press ......

Berkshire Hathaway is selling a bunch of newspapers because of declining subscriptions and advertising. Fake news, and you heard it from "not my president", had begun to take its toll even before the election.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Back in my day the only fake news you could find was in tabloids sold when checking out at the grocery store. You know stories like UFO lands on white house and women gives birth to three headed baby. Now every story you read on formally reputable papers has to be taken with a grain of salt. My opinion is the older responsible reports have been replaced by youngsters who out of the gate want to make a mark. They don't realize that will come around and bite them in the azz.

Even on the news some networks do not give time to important stories or take statements out of content in an attempt to make a headline or give the story no time. The best thing to do is to take your news with a teaspoon of salt.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:30 PM

Looking back you can see that criticism of the press is widespread. The term "spin doctors" is one that has been around for 30 years. The entire meaning and character of a story can be altered by the addition of one word or its replacement. I don't know what the solution is to abuse of the First Amendment but I do feel that something should be done about politization of stories all the time in many papers.

Maybe the solution is already in place when we look at how newspaper sales are declining. Because I get the Boston Globe which carries a lot of Washington Post and NY Times I see the malaise in news reporting become even more widespread. I am distressed by the liberal bent in the pages. Columnists who I have followed and admired for years have gone to opinion pieces in the story sections with things that should, if properly labeled, be on the editorial pages. It makes you want to say to these columnists, "just report the news. Don't try to teach me how to think, what to think, or who to support." Try this:

Story: a cat was run over and killed on Commonwealth Ave this morning.

Spun news: a cat was run over and killed by a speeding and irresponsible driver this morning. Police are investigating this threat to the safety of any using Commonwealth Ave.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:04 PM

I have been saying that the press is going to bring Trump down, but now I am not so sure. They have been backing off somewhat in heaping criticism upon him. Maybe they see no point in endless attacks.

I am aware that everybody does not necessarily support Trump which is okay. Again, as with an editorial I published long before he was elected: "Is it true?"
Old 04-19-2017, 02:39 PM

The latest conservative target of the press is Bill O'Reilly. They will get him too.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:41 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

think they got him already

one of the ladies who "started" the firestorm is the daughter of lawyer Gloria Alred
Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 AM

I don't know. I'm beginning to lose confidence in my judgement of so many of these media storms. Sometimes I wonder if I should stick to fishing, where I at least enjoy some expertise. I began to lose confidence in my judgement the year I voted for Barry Goldwater; I also once believed that Ronald Reagan was a good actor but did not belong in politics. He was only the best president we ever had. Mister Smarty does win now and then: six months ago we bought some McDonalds stock and it went up 30% after paying decent quarterly dividends.

This business of sueing monied stars like Bill Cosby and Bill O'Reilly years and years after their purported abuses has become a cottage industry. My latest speculative charade is that Aron Hernandez did NOT commit suicide. I would consider therapy but her office is always full of boat fishermen.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM
SS/Veteran

There use to be a thing called innocent until proven guilty but now you are guilty, spend thousands and thousands of dollars to prove you are innocent but that is to late for you are branded.

Cottage industry I guess. If you have a lot of money you are in some low life's sights. Me I will not have to worry about that.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:10 PM
SS/Veteran

I turned off cable at home and couldn't be happier. I used to listen to NPR a lot...but they don't do enough "Bird Note" to keep my attention...and I always tend to tune in during membership drives!

Andrew asks what the alternative is...for me it's anything other than any media outlet. Could be fishing, playing with my daughter, bugging Erica...any actual activity in life is infinetly more enriching.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:06 AM

Media is hurting itself by destroying public confidence through a lack of balance. Where does the First Amendment say that the press is supposed to support one particular political party? People see this stuff and draw their own conclusions fully knowing that no one is safe. The press does not aspire to justice; rather, they seek to influence public opinion the same way that they respond to the influence advertisers exert. The reader -- YOU -- is the last to be considered.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:48 AM
SS/Veteran

IMO Stationary TV be cable or satellite is just a thing of the past , hand held entertainment is where its at . Books & magazines are great for the old folks , fire starting material is what its good for now.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:06 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I will forever be old, I like books over *most* e-book formats, though I have a couple of dozen kindle books. Most e-books are not indexed or cross referenced properly, even if the material lends itself to that. In addition, for those that are, the bookmark, jumping and cross referencing is still infantile, compared to the ability to simply flip flip.

Aside from format, the e-press versions of major news orgs, is finally getting the fact that since their advertizing revenue is going toilet, they can not afford simple google access, and are implementing limited numbers of views without a subscription.

As the standard print main stream media continues to die along with the greatest and boomer generations, the financial models will continue to be refined to allow some to actually make money on "news", rather than just the tech giants manhandling information (both commercial and personal) as they do now.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:05 PM

The press has lost its discipline by editorializing in the news pages. Time was when we could go to the editorial pages to read positions on controversial subjects. But now they seek to spin public opinion in the news. They slip in adjectives to degrade their enemies or support their advertisers. No matter what you think of Trump he is right about "fake news". I don't buy a newspaper to have opinions molded; I want to know what is happening -- who died, where was there a fire, what happened in Samali. Don't screw around with my thought patterns or tell me how to vote or seek to influence my politics. Just give me the news and this is important -- tell me the flippin truth!
Old 04-25-2017, 01:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Just give what the people want to hear . This will reward the HS journalist with rich treasures for a lifetime until they get a law suite against them . After all isn't $ what's it all about Alfie ?
Old 04-25-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I have been saying that the press is going to bring Trump down, but now I am not so sure. They have been backing off somewhat in heaping criticism upon him. Maybe they see no point in endless attacks.

I am aware that everybody does not necessarily support Trump which is okay. Again, as with an editorial I published long before he was elected: "Is it true?"
As soon as he bombed Syria (directly against his campaign promises) they backed off. He's getting with the program apparently, at least on the issue of endless warmaking.