Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:50 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Report 50s -- 2017

Again this year Mister Smarty will be counting the known 50-pounders taken sport fishing between Maryland and Maine. We ask that any information that brings identifiability to the catch be included in your disclosure. Example: Joe Blow, aboard the "Mommy's Mink" out of Braille just south of the Guzzles drifting bull frog bellies for a 51-pounder February 30. The more info the less chance of this lucky catch being recorded twice. Through your information you get the glory, I write the story and I keep the money which will be faithfully used in the F&J Scotch Fund. Fair?

Pictures are welcome; remarks are welcome; truth is appreciated.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Report 50s -- 2017

Haven't heard anything out of Jersey yet. Cape May is usually where they show up first, which -- dah! -- makes sense, because they're traveling from south to north. A charter boat guy I follow down there has had fish to the mid-30s, but nothing even approaching 50 yet.

But it will be happening soon. Hell, maybe it will be me: I'm busting my fishing cherry for the season next weekend, when we go camping at Assateague. I like fishing 50 yards from the tent.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:12 PM

I know its a little early, Chris, but I wanted to be ahead of the first one brought in. I would be out of my mind if it were you.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:41 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I know its a little early, Chris, but I wanted to be ahead of the first one brought in. I would be out of my mind if it were you.
I couldn't catch the clap in a Panamanian bordello!
Old 04-29-2017, 02:00 PM

That was the way I was in 1964 when I took my first 50. Its a big ocean and anything can happen. If a monster does come along, you just must not make any mistakes. Years ago a bunch of young guys had found a place where monsters were showing up regularly. But when these kids saw stripers that were four feet long or more, they would pull like a buggar and break off. Too many mistakes!
Old 05-10-2017, 04:39 PM

Usually by now we have some Hudson River fifties.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Vinny's in Wappinger Falls supposedly reported a 54 taken in the Hudson...but I don't see the evidence on their website...only heard of it on another site... No proof...yet, but this time of year there are decent bass the whole length of the river.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:49 PM

I don't know whether to count this. It is a perfect situation for duplication without more info. I want my count to be as a accurate as possible. Maybe it will come out eventually.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:48 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
I don't know whether to count this. It is a perfect situation for duplication without more info. I want my count to be as a accurate as possible. Maybe it will come out eventually.
Check Riverbasinsports.com ...Catskill, NY There's a picture and some details, although, it sounds like the fish was weighed elsewhere. 52" X 33"! Decent fish...
Old 05-13-2017, 11:10 AM
SS/Veteran

Tom Gentalen puts reports out there .
Old 05-13-2017, 03:24 PM

So far I have two from the Hudson: 58.6 and 54. Caught around the same date as the first one last year. We're rolling.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:21 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
So far I have two from the Hudson: 58.6 and 54. Caught around the same date as the first one last year. We're rolling.
Frank, I'm actually wondering if those two are the same fish. Weighed by angler, by B&T, or estimated with "the formula", could have a pound (or four) discrepancy depending on method.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:53 PM

Yes, Frankie, that is part of the problem. There are a lot of problems when people use the formula because they can take a lot of liberty with the tape measure that they would not use on an actual scale. Of course if a fish is 51 one way and 59 the other it still counts as a "fifty". All we can do is put on BS meters and sort through all the dreamers. Like a lot of my old girl friends, I have been there.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:25 PM

I just saw a report that a 64.6 # Striper was weighed in today at Falmouth Bait and Tackle by a Kevin G. A photo is shown on their Facebook page with the boat captain. I can't find the fisherman's name. His photo with the fish is on XXX if you dare take a look.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the post. If it is true then we will hear more about it. My BS meter is lighting up because I never heard of a 60+ on the Cape this early. I started my study of such fish 45 years ago. And yes, there is always a first time. I'll watch for it.