Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:37 PM

Default Is Conentional Dieing?

Are the old Squidders and Abus we used to rely upon gone into obsolecents ? You don't see them on the beach any more.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:03 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Is Conentional Dieing?

Frank,

For me, in general, no way. But it does depend on the mode of fishing, specifically bait vs. plug.

I've not found a conventional that feels right for plugging, and I've tried a few, including fw "baitcasters" appropriately sized for sw plugs.

However, newer reels seem to be superior to Squidders, by a long shot.

This is the favorite in my arsenal, which includes a squidder, a couple of Abus, a previously owned Akios, some baitcasters, and some other Penns (various):

Old 08-07-2017, 02:23 PM
SS/Veteran

I look at catalogs online all the time. There's an unbelievable number of "conentional" reels out there. Plenty of beefed up versions of fw baitcasters to choose from with magnets and level winds...like the Calcutta mentioned above...beautifully machined tools.

I'm sure you meant to say consensual or conjugal...
Old 08-07-2017, 04:16 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
I've not found a conventional that feels right for plugging, and I've tried a few, including fw "baitcasters" appropriately sized for sw plugs.
The low-profile baitcasters are the way, the truth, and the light. They cast just about effortlessly, and they are far better, ergonomically, to fish with.

The complaint historically about these kinds of reels has been that they only come in sizes that are too small for use in the high surf. This is no longer the case; the Shimano Tranx and Daiwa Lexa come in versions even suitable for offshore boat use. These things are like Corvettes, and make Squidders look like a Model T.

That said, yes, convench is dying in the surf. There's too much of a learning curve to using it for most guys to accept. Which is too bad, because it is still very viable, and preferable to spinning in some situations, like with heavy weights and big plugs.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:38 PM

Conventional in the open surf is a rare bird. The new gang swim and get very wet and the conventional technology (fully sealed reel) just has not caught up with that type of extreme surf casting. When it does it will be a great advancement as there is no better outfit to handle large fish.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:24 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
The low-profile baitcasters are the way, the truth, and the light. They cast just about effortlessly, and they are far better, ergonomically, to fish with.
I can't get consistent performance out of the ones I've tried with plugs,
specifically poppers. Whole different ballgame than when pulling swimmers and spinners.

I do use conventional for bucktails and bottom jigging, but not for "near surface" action at all.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:33 PM
SS/Veteran

When i read this quickly I thought it was about eating " Continental Dining "

As far as performance goes to get the presentation to react , being on a boat or being on the beach: differences as above the water line or equal to w/ Conentional reels.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:33 PM

Time was when it was necessary to use conventional when going to heavy tackle. But now that spinning is utilizing unbreakable lines the emphasis is shifting.

Dennis' perception that conventional reels are not suitable for immersion confuses and bewilders me. Our Squidders and 7,000s were fine under water -- swimming out to Long Bar, deep wading with bloused tops and, waist belts, bobbing in the waves between rocks -- part walking, part lifted by waves, no problem especially with a squidder . These are SW reels and living on the beach with no access to fresh water, they never got a rinse unless it rained. Still, all good answers that reflect intimacy with conventional reels.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:45 PM

It's been dying for a long time, but has been sped up by the prevalence of the new super spinners, like Van Staal, and the braided lines. It used to be if you wanted to load a ton of heavy line on a surfcaster, you wanted conventional. No longer. Strong drags? The new spinners have em. I don't really see an advantage to them anymore unless you like them.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:04 PM

LKB, I hear and understand what you say. I agree that the advantage in conventional is gone, but remember that for we old farts, who are hogtied to tradition, are comfortable with our old sheet. We are all going down the same trail and some day you too will suffer the obselesence from the hammer blows of time.

Why do I love my squidders? Because, other than fly fishing, I have done nothing else.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:03 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKB3rd View Post
It's been dying for a long time, but has been sped up by the prevalence of the new super spinners, like Van Staal, and the braided lines. It used to be if you wanted to load a ton of heavy line on a surfcaster, you wanted conventional. No longer. Strong drags? The new spinners have em. I don't really see an advantage to them anymore unless you like them.
The spinners do indeed have spool capacity and drag strength to stop any fish that swims. But they still suck for heavy applications. If you're casting 8 or 10 ounces of lead, plus a bunker head, would you, when casting, rather have to hold the line with your finger, or thumb a convench spool? I've done both, and it's far, far easier to do this with a conventional reel.

Conventional still has its place, sez me. I don't know why this is, but I find myself gravitating more to conventional the older I get.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
The spinners do indeed have spool capacity and drag strength to stop any fish that swims. But they still suck for heavy applications. If you're casting 8 or 10 ounces of lead, plus a bunker head, would you, when casting, rather have to hold the line with your finger, or thumb a convench spool? I've done both, and it's far, far easier to do this with a conventional reel.

Conventional still has its place, sez me. I don't know why this is, but I find myself gravitating more to conventional the older I get.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:20 PM

I agree with Chris on his last comment.I also think that for many older surfcasters conventional tackle is something they are so comfortable with,as Frank said,that they are not intimidated by it.My father was surprised when as a youngster I wanted to "learn how to cast conventional" because spinning tackle was relatively new and why did I want to fish "the old way?"When you are adept at both,you just use which one best suits the situation.Drive a screw with a screwdriver and a nail with a hammer.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:48 PM

Seigler reels was at a surf show recently with a new convench

I bought a few squidder for use in the boat. I love them.use em with Pink Ande
Old 08-09-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
LKB, I hear and understand what you say. I agree that the advantage in conventional is gone, but remember that for we old farts, who are hogtied to tradition, are comfortable with our old sheet. We are all going down the same trail and some day you too will suffer the obselesence from the hammer blows of time.

Why do I love my squidders? Because, other than fly fishing, I have done nothing else.

I am with you. I have used conventional most of my fishing life, mainly due to your influence when I read your books, as well as others. Lately I have a spinning surf rig, and a 7 footer for the kayak. But I like conventional still because I am used to it.