Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Senior Fellow

Default Re: Is Conentional Dieing?

I have way too many to catalog (my fishing gear problem!) and have a few spinning reels as well. I learned, from my Aunt May, to surf fish with some old Penn boat conventional, used spinners for a few years then switched back to conventional 35+ years ago and never looked back.
Every once in awhile I'll have the odd reason (heavy bait for wife or grandson) to throw spinning. I don't like the way it feels on the cast or the retrieve. I prefer the direct transfer of power provided by a conventional, the smooth delivery and the retrieve with the spine of the rod under the line. Strangely enough I have also converted most of my friends from spinning to conventional....made simpler by the modern easily controlled conventional casting reels. I've watched new conventional students cast flawlessly within an hour of learning.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 08-10-2017, 12:52 PM

Forty years ago, and there was still a lot of spinning, we had guys with conventional reels who spent the night backlashing. Many of them cared more about having a suitable image than effective casting. Commonly there are people out there who never get it. The widespread belief that convench is the tackle of experts dominates choices that get no results. They choose revolving spool for the wrong reasons.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:25 AM

I used convench for 75 years until super braids and Slug-Gos came along. Now I seldom use it unless casting heavy stuff or trolling. Still prefer it for fighting a decent fish.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:26 PM

Yes, Kib, that is pretty much my position on the subject. In this highly regulated striper world, things have changed so much that in order to achieve satisfaction, my wife and I fly fish. I must add that I miss the old days. I have said many times: "nothing stays the same."
Old 09-05-2017, 04:53 PM

There is a breathtaking photo of Crazy Alberto on the cover of the Fisherman this week; big bass with a spinning reel. Look at the SW fishing photos in any magazine and tackle is all spinning. Writers, editors, all spinning. Which of us has become an anachronism?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Well if some company wanted to put a spinning reel in my hand w/ a paycheck to catch fish I have no problem doing it. God Bless America
Old 09-07-2017, 12:50 PM

What does your post mean, Hook? Are you saying that you would only spin fish if paid?
Old 09-07-2017, 01:12 PM
SS/Veteran

What I mean is , marketing controls the industry. Trends and how we target fish. Remember those Marlboro comericals of the 60's / 70's Good looking cowboy with the fag dangling from the lip , and a pretty blond by his side . Men wanted that image .
Old 09-08-2017, 12:50 PM

They should have put a bunch of grave stones for a true image. Nobody is going to my wake/funeral because they all kept smoking and died first. Nobody is left to buy flowers for Mister Smarty.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:39 PM
SS/Veteran

Maybe they will name a jetty or a rock pile in your name . Have any locations you might want to re name ?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:07 PM

The "Rip at the Guzzles".
Old 09-10-2017, 02:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Really enjoy the humor of Francis .... hope this guy Frank takes a long deserved vacation.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:54 PM

Thank you for that. the subject of conventional use is clearly a social anachronism in surfcasting. Why would someone learn to cast something a certain way that is difficult when they can do a method that is easier?

Sure, we old Guard fish differently than the newbies. But as a person who advocates doing things for the right reasosns, I think the new surfmen should fish the way they choose and we who fish like "old men" should do what we choose. Not the last word, mind you, just saying. Just be polite in that if I go on the jetty at Quanny be polite and respect my 60+ years of doing what I learned back when I was bedding your grandmothers.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:00 AM
SS/Veteran

Mr. D on my list of things for 2018 I'll get my DNA checked.... you never know !
Old 09-11-2017, 12:04 PM

I really got around big time when I was a young buck.