Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:02 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Strange wildlife both fish and game encounters

I wanted to start this subject for a long time but a recent event startled me and broth for another encounters to light.

Recently as I was traveling down my hill I saw two does, one still with wearing dots. No big deal but nice to see them here and about. They finished crossing the road as I slowed to a crawl but they did not move more then ten feet off the road. Still no big deal but as I stopped they began to feed and chew what ever was in front of them. I should mention the road is dirt and not passable unless one person finds a pull over. Looking at each other one of us had to move on and they choose to do first. I have seen this in states like Pa but never here. It was a first time event in which will be a fond memory.

Most be more encounters that we all might enjoy.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Strange wildlife both fish and game encounters

Over 20years ago, deer hunting in NY, I saw a black bear come down the mountain right past me. The thing was huge, about the size of a refrigerator on its side -- a good 400 pounds. I had a bear tag in my pocket but I let it walk because I didn't want it. I was carrying a bolt action 30-06 so I could have optioned. I did play by putting the rifle cross-hairs on its shoulder. Big SOB!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:31 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Strangest thing that happened to me was having a turkey jump in front of me.

I was driving home from work in a suburban setting, down a fairly busy road when ahead I see this big male turkey duck coming from the woods, duck under a guard rail and then stand on the side of the road looking in my direction.

Driving down the road about 40, this thing waited until I was about 3 car lengths away and he just jumped up and in front of my jeep. I braked hard but it was too late, he hit the grill and rolled right
up and smashed into my windshield.

Didn't come all the way through but shattered a hole in the glass on the driver's side and all I saw was glass and feathers flying everywhere.

Dang bird, I didn't even keep it.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:37 AM

On my commute to/from work, I see deer along side the road or crossing in front of me about once a week all year, except the deepest part of winter. I travel through the pine barrens, blueberry fields and cranberry bogs. So there is all sorts of wildlife.

But it always surprises me when I see pictures or reports of deer swimming in the bay. I had my grandsons out for their first ride on the waverunner last week, and was giving turns to one, then the other... my wife said there was a group of 10, including a few bambies with dots, that were ready to cross the creek near the ramp, while I was out in the bay. But a boat came by and spooked them back into the pine woods. A local says they swim the creek all the time.

Every year there are sightings of deer out in surprising places in the bays in NJ.

One year, there was a report and video of a bear that apparently followed the natural train corridor from interior NJ (Colts Neck) all the way to the Earl Ammo pier (where armament used to be loaded onto subs and ships), walked off the pier, jumped and swam the bay over to Sandy Hook.

Why?

Dunno, nobody asked the bear.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:27 PM
SS/Veteran

Just last week, at the very pinnacle of tourist season in Cape May County, in Sea Isle City, there were multiple reports, and multiple cell-phone videos, of coyotes on the beach, in broad daylight. People were freaking out, and the mayor, as the saying goes, was changing his underpants hourly.

It turned out to be a fox with mange.

How ignorant most people are of wildlife -- how the hell could one mistake a fox for a 'yote? -- makes me laugh.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:52 PM

There are a LOT of ignorant city folk who inhabit the beaches during the summer.

I remember catching sand sharks (smooth doggies), about 14" long, one after another while fishing for kings one day. Lady comes by, pushing a beach baby carriage... say "yuck, don't think I will go in the water with those things around"...
I laughed, looked at the dogfish and said "THIS? that's the least of your worries..." she hurried on down the beach.

Another strange animal sighting, which I may have relayed here sometime, was fishing north end of Brigantine. Up near the inlet were some dolphins messing around hitting some kind of bait.

I watched and a pair of them started coming down the beach toward me doing a seaworld act... side by side they were "porpoising" in the air, all the way down from the inlet to where I was fishing until veering out to the deep just before reaching me. Maybe 50 ft. off the sand. Cool to watch, also very cool is watching the breaching humpbacks every fall, they come in very very close with the bunker.

A couple of years back there is a video of a humpback coming up under a guys boat in the inlet near longport. Apparently it was using his boat to help corral bait, and breached pushing the transom of his boat in the air, almost knocking him in the water!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:36 PM
SS/Veteran

Here's a couple:

Trolling for Salmon on Lake George I saw a deer walk into the water and start swimming. He entered in a residential area...got out a half mile up and ran into the woods. I got my boat real close for a few pix then let him be. Don't know if he'd been chased.

We'd been spearing/gigging/"jacking" eels and legal sized fish in shallow water one night and decided to cross a channel to another sandbar area. As we were crossing, we passed within a few feet of a large shark right on the surface. The flat-bottomed Garvey (clam boat) we were in was 14', the shark just a little shorter...maybe 10'. This was in the State Channel near the Jones Beach Piers in the bay.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:53 AM

During the moratorium my wife and I went salmon and trout fishing in Maine for quite a few summers. We commonly had moose walk down to the stream and drink. One big bull scared us out of the woods
Old 08-15-2017, 03:57 PM
SS/Veteran

As a youth perhaps 10 or 12 my friends and I use to hang out in the woods building tree forts. We were at war with the next streets youngsters who wanted our term. That said while and buds were walking over a hill that had a clear mowing at the last instant I saw a large bird perhaps an owl or hawk that hit me on the head knocking me down. I am not sure it was the bird blow or my overreaction that caused my downing but when I recovered we did a little back peddling and decided baseball was a better option for the day.

In hid sight the bird was probably protecting her nest.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:09 AM

Fishing during a new moon high tide......when the rising tide water spilled over the sand and into a salt pond, there came thousands of blue crabs, layers thick, as far as i could see, marching towards the ocean. while fighting against the surging tide. I had no camera that night but it was a sight I will never forget.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:58 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
There are a LOT of ignorant city folk who inhabit the beaches during the summer.
It really is true that one of the very best things you can do for kids is to get them out into nature, into the woods, onto beaches, the whole bit. It is something that will pay them lifelong dividends.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:47 PM

People are always saying that about getting the kids into nature. When I was growing up getting out was all we could do because there was no TV or video games. A bunch of us fished every lake in the region from our bikes. If a bike was broke down that kid rode on the handle bars.

When I was teaching in Greater Providence the kids, knowing that I was an ardent fisherman, used to tell of fishing in the Scituate Reservoir at night. They all bought cheap outfits from Wal-Mart so when their stuff was confiscated by water shed guards they had others stashed for the next trip. Mothers took turns dropping them off and would agree to pick them up during the night. They hid tackle, had rondevous locations and contingency plans. Thirteen year old commandos; I envied them both for their moxie and parental support. What fish they caught!
Old 08-18-2017, 01:34 PM

Never had that much going on, fishing wise, but I was thankful for the times my parents got me out, from Maine to NY to Fl, most of my best memories as a kid are those being outdoors doing something. We used to float tubes down the rapids in the Delaware near Lackawaxen, gig eels at night, jump from aqueduct structures in the Lackawaxen river. Occasionally fish, shoot ground hogs on behest of the local farmer, I'd fish a local pond for sunnies and cats, wade streams my dad would take me too, and catch bait (helgramites if possible, otherwise crayfish and on land, nightcrawlers). Even not "outdoors" per se, I spent the rest of my waking hours "outdoors", on rockets, planes, or when the weather was snotty, indoors on trains, cars, radios (which entailed getting on the roof for antennas, or occasionally setting up outdoor remote stations, or hanging out at the local YMCA radio club).

My goal, and I pretty much succeeded, was to expose all of our children to as many "away from the tv and computer" adventures and activities as possible, with my youngest taking to the salt the most, since she was growing up as my fishing passion matured. I see each of our children pursuing outdoor activities much more than their contemporaries, and I really enjoy comments from their friends about how much we, as parents, did with them, and what we exposed them to.

The only "failure" was later in life my son has developed a passion for multi-user online gaming, which I detest ... but he's an adult so I keep my trap shut about it
Still, he'll drop that in favor of a fishing trip anytime I ask, so all is not lost!
Old 08-19-2017, 08:02 AM
take a kid fishing

In 1982 I was a student at SUNY Delhi so I did a lot of flyfishing on the Delaware for shad and trout. One afternoon as I walked down the bank to the river something caught my eye. I froze when I realized it was a mountain lion looking at me.

He only looked at me for a second, but it seemed like forever. I think every hair on my body stood on end. He spun around and ran up the bank on the other side of the river, away from me.

I turned around and went back to the dorm.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:11 AM
take a kid fishing

Here's one from last Sunday you guys might like - deer swimming from NJ to Staten Island