Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Strange wildlife both fish and game encounters

One time deer hunting in RI, my wife called me on the radio to say a fisher was heading my way. I was on stand on a blowdown and it came right over to the downed tree and slinked along right toward me within 10 feet. I jumped up and yelled scaring the heck out of the thing. Recent years we have been seeing a lot of fisher in the woods. They are part of a regional restoration effort. They are cool customers.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:04 PM

Two instances come to mind.

A couple miles off the beach where I live we can be in 1,000 feet of water in the Redondo Canyon. A few years ago I heard there were a few Blue Whales hanging around the Canyon. One morning on the way out bottom fishing in slick calm conditions we came across on of them feeding on the surface. This whale came very close and was much longer than the party boat I was on. The Capt. estimated it at 90 feet. You have no idea how immense these creatures are until you see one up close. It blows the mind....I will never forget it. Largest animal to ever live...

Another cool moment happened on my honeymoon in Kona, HI seven years ago. Wife and I were sitting on the beach and I kept seeing a disturbance on the surface a couple hundred yards out. Curiosity got the best of me so I grabbed the snorkel, mask and fins I rented for the day and swam out to check it out. When I got to the area i started looking around then found the source. About 8 giant manta rays were swimming around out there. I was amazed, but wanted a better look as they were holding about 10-15 feet below the surface. I took a breath, made it down about 15 feet and just suspended there. A few seconds later two of them came right at me....I swear they looked like airplanes, just giant animals. Within five fee or so they banked turns and moved away. Never threatening, probably just wanted to get a better look. It was one of the coolest experiences of my life.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:04 AM
take a kid fishing

A friend was fishing off the shores of Staten Island yesterday and caught a redfish on a soft plastic jig.

A redfish

In Raritan Bay

Pretty strange

Old 08-21-2017, 03:56 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

thought I had a few trout fishing experiences posted, but the post got deleted or never made it off my screen (?) ... or its in this thread and I'm just senile (definitely possible)

anyhow:

- while fishing a trout stream standing on a blowdown, a woodchuck came out of the woods on one side of the stream, head down started to cross the log without looking up. his movement out of the brush caught my eye and I watched amble toward me, on the log, until he finally looked up with a "What The ..." expression. Stood still for a moment and turned around and ambled back into the brush (ok, not a mountain lion, but still cool)

- while standing in the middle of a decent small stream pool, heavy brush overhead, I pretty much pissed in my waders when a ticked off Great Blue Heron screeched while sitting about 3' over my head. If you have never heard their screech, it's very Jurassic Park like.

- multiple times trout fishing in low light or night, having bats dive bomb my head chasing the fly on a cast. I never caught a bat, but have known other anglers who have.

on the salt:

- had a similar experience with a black skimmer, where it came by my head while I was fishing off the end of a dock at night... it swooped from behind me over my shoulder and I heard the wind disturbance as it glided past my head. At night, alone, and silent except for this, I nearly jumped into the salt out of surprise.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:07 PM

Not sure, isn't it pretty far north for a redfish?

When I was a kid my father picked up a 40 pound snapping turtle and sold it to a Chinese Restaurant. They were very excited; makes you wonder if we should have eaten it. The Asian culture knows a lot about food that we could learn from.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:12 PM

It is a bit far north for redfish, but this is the time of year for them to make their way up here.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:23 PM
take a kid fishing

I never heard of a redfish up here - and I've heard a lot of whacky stuff.

Along the same line, I got a photo of pelicans at Swinburne Island three weeks ago.

Guy - kept the redfish in the live well and then released at the dock after photos

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c0&oe=5A38B40F

Last edited by Brokenrod : 08-22-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:42 AM

We have often seen deer swimming by while fishing. Wallum Lake in RI, the Cape on Nauset beach which has water on three sides so they have to swim to get on Nauset.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:29 PM
take a kid fishing

The sight of deer swimming in the bay is somewhat unusual here, but they have become commonplace all over the island now. I suppose they've been displaced as more and more land gets developed.

Here's another funny one: During a new moon I was on the beach with Jimmy Nelson, chunking bunker. So we're standing there in the dark talking when we hear this scraping sound on the 5-gallon bucket between us.

Jimmy turns on his light and there is this big raccoon - practically standing on our feet - trying to get the bunker out of the bucket. He had one paw holding the side of the bucket, and his head was down inside it while he was attempting to drag the bunker up. And he didn't seem to care about us or the light; he was just focused on the bunker

Old 08-23-2017, 11:15 AM

Raccoon domesticate easily. I had students who had them living in their homes. My late brother, Norman had a coon family that used to come in to the cellar and wake him looking for food. They do get used to people. You can buy their friendship with food.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:14 PM

Both my wife and I are ascared of bears. I say that because local woodlands and even small towns are reporting more and more bears. Its only a matter of time before we are confronted with one in the woods. I don't want to shoot a bear any more than I want to shoot a dog. But if one shows even the slightest aggression, I will dump the magazine.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:46 AM

I also get the heebie-jeebies when I see snakes in the woods early season hunting and back when I did some fresh water fishing. I would prefer to meet a mountain lion than a 12 inch garter snake.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:30 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
One time deer hunting in RI, my wife called me on the radio to say a fisher was heading my way. I was on stand on a blowdown and it came right over to the downed tree and slinked along right toward me within 10 feet. I jumped up and yelled scaring the heck out of the thing. Recent years we have been seeing a lot of fisher in the woods. They are part of a regional restoration effort. They are cool customers.
Fishers are mean customers and in my opinion need killing. They will break into someones chicken coop and kill each and everyone just for fun. They will kill a domestic cat and carry it away for supper. Often people have found a fisher den with numerous cat collars around. If they were as big as dogs they would eat people.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:44 PM

Having a couple of new cats roaming the neighborhood, I might have to ask F&W if they could stock a fisher or 2.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:47 PM

I have seen a lot of fishers hunting but they have never exhibited aggressive behavior. As a kid growing up I did a lot of trapping and would have loved to have gotten a fisher. Inasmuch as they have very dark fur, I would guess they pay well for a fisher skin. If you don't move they won't notice you. If you startle one it will haul XXX.

Other than coyotes, I don't like killing anything that I can't eat. I have shot a lot of coyotes while deer hunting. Turkey hunting one year I had a coyote sneak up on my decoys. He got a 12 gauge surprise.