Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:58 PM

Default Plug Tricks?

Is there something you do plug fishing that you believe helps you catch stripers, blues, cod, squeateague or guppies? Don't be afraid to let out any secrets. Nobody comes here anyways.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Plug Tricks?

I like to have my lure swimming as soon as it hits the water. I use a reel without a bail, and can feel the line paying out as it just touches my index finger. When I think the lure is about to hit the water, the line goes on the pickup, and I start my retrieve. I have had so many fish hit the lure at that moment, no slack in the line helps immensely.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:37 AM
SS/Veteran

tip the lure w/ Pro Cure
Old 09-18-2017, 12:42 PM

If you have ever put your light on a school of silversides or sand eels yu might notice that they will sit still in the surface tension without moving. Try letting your long, slim floater lay still for a long time just the way baitfish sometimes do and bass will nab them, even though they are not moving.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:52 PM

I sometimes work a lipped swimmer using the same rod action as when working a pencil popper. Ultra slow retrieve

I almost always use a start and stop with darters
Old 09-20-2017, 11:04 AM

One time in Narragansett I watched two guys swim poppers slowly in broad daylight without popping them who were catching bass every cast. I tried it myself and also caught stripers every cast.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:35 AM

That's impossible Frank, everyone knows nobody catches bass in the daytime.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:38 AM

My pants will never dry.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
One time in Narragansett I watched two guys swim poppers slowly in broad daylight without popping them who were catching bass every cast. I tried it myself and also caught stripers every cast.
A technique you mentioned in one of your books was when you observed an angler (on the Cape, I think it was...) popping a popper and then letting it sit motionless for a long time... and catching several nice bass while doing it. I think you described the "take" as the bass were eating a "marine Twinkie"...
Old 09-21-2017, 01:05 PM

You pretty much remembered it pretty well, Meister. He was popping a swimmer: what he did was throw a big blue Atom 40, let it lay there for a long time, up to a full minute without moving it, then pop it violently once, then let it lay there again for quite long. A bass would then gulp it. Doing this over and over, he got several big bass -- 25 to 40 pounds. Of course in those days there were no small bass. It was probably around 1977.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:37 AM

Many lures work well dead drifted where you throw into the current and just let it swing along under tension. Fly fishing that is all we do, but it also works with plugs and bucktail jigs. Often the imparting of action can be overdone.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:04 AM

The drift works great with unweighted Sluggos too. They have a slight slithter to them as the current washes over.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:09 PM

Yes, and those soft plastics have a nice texture that is more acceptable than a chunk of wood. Too many casters think they have to impart all sort of wiggle and life to an artificial. Just let the thing drift along naturally.

There used to be a guy on the Cape who would suddenly do a surprise jiggle on the retrieve and scare the snot out of the guy next to him; there was always a big space near him because the other casters found being near him a little unnerving. I fished with some real pissers back then.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:36 PM

When bass are rooting for sand eels they will often not even see your offer passing overhead. You have to pass them right on the bottom on the sand. Fly fishing I often resorted to a fast sinking line, stuffed my rod tip into the water and waited to be sure the sand eel pattern was right in the sand with the live ones bass were digging; got a lot of fish that way.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:59 PM
SS/Veteran

I do not think there is a trick or a magic bullet. I try everything I have heard or read about and see what works at that time.