Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:46 PM

Default This was a Shock!

http://asf.ca/asf-rivernotes-28-sept-2017.html

Bass in Labrador!!!

"Of greater concern is the striped bass explosion that is spreading this predator of salmon further than ever before. Not only have the numbers become massive in the Miramichi, but sightings have been recored in Labrador, as far north as the community of Black Tickle. They have also been spotted near Charlottetown, PEI. Check out the photo below from Forteau. A tag on one of those Striped Bass indicated it might have originated in the Miramichi system."
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2017, 11:15 AM

Default Re: This was a Shock!

Wow, that is incredible! Never heard of stripers that far north. Coupled with the notion that bass are preditating on salmon, there is bound to be an organized striper slaughter. Salmon, not stripers, are king in this region. I don't have anything more to say about this yet because, frankly, I am shocked by the notion.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:43 AM

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...c.b.-fisherman

VIDEO: Seafood diet of striped bass upsets C.B. fisherman
ANDREW RANKIN THE CHRONICLE HERALD
Published October 6, 2017 - 8:27pm
Last Updated October 6, 2017 - 8:45pm
bass eats lobsters
Play Video
Believe it or not, Ray Briand wasn?t entirely surprised to find two lobsters stuffed inside a 72-centimetre-long striped bass he?d caught Wednesday night.

That?s because the longtime Cape Breton fisherman believed his suspicions were confirmed.

?They?re called wolves of the oceans for a reason,? said Briand, a Smelt Brook resident. ?They fish in packs and they?re devastating our local fishing stocks.

?There?s nothing left in our harbours except bass. Now we?re wondering if they?re going to damage our lobster industry; that?s what we?re really worried about.?

He and other Ingonish-area fishermen are calling on Fisheries and Oceans Canada to take a serious look at the devastating effect he insists these predatory fish are having on the local marine ecosystems.

They are currently protected across Cape Breton, and fishermen in the region are allowed only one fish, measuring 69 cm, per 24 hours.

Wednesday?s catch was another reminder the quota needs to be increased, he said. At the very least, he added, the government should grant an experimental fishery to see exactly what these creatures are consuming.

?It?s unbelievable,? he said. ?I felt its stomach and felt something really hard, and when I took the fillets off and opened it up, there?s a whole nine-inch lobster in it, plus half of another one.

?They arrive in our harbours late spring, early summer to spawn, then they feed from summer to fall and migrate. We believe that they?re feeding off far too many small, juvenile lobsters. We find everything from crab, trout, lobster and mussels in their stomachs. You name it, they?re there.?

Bruce Hatcher, chairman of Marine Ecosystem Research at Cape Breton University, says Briand?s concerns are real.

?There?s been an explosion of striped bass,? Hatcher said.

Striped bass, which can weigh as much as 23 kilos, are not native to Cape Breton waters, originating from warmer waters along the eastern seaboard of the U.S.

Hatcher says the population boom can be blamed primarily on global warming.

He shares Briand?s opinion that Fisheries and Oceans should lift quota limits in an effort to control the population.

?It will not be easy to prevent the explosion of population in some species and decline of others,? he said.

?When you have a very aggressive predator that will take the bait and fight well, and you have a very popular sport of fishing, I believe it?s possible for human predation to make a serious dent in this explosion of striped bass without threatening survival of that species.?

In the end, Hatcher hopes Fisheries and Oceans will start listening carefully to the concerns of fishermen like Briand.

?But there?s an unfortunate tradition here in Nova Scotia, that when fishermen say things people are disinclined to believe them.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
there is bound to be an organized striper slaughter.
You right about that!
Old 10-09-2017, 02:31 PM

Stripers have always targeted lobsters. The ocean is an ecosystem where size is the determinate. Why would people be surprise? I have digital photos of lobster stomach contents in stripers taken in Maine. No doubt killing bass is thought to be making the Meratime world a better place. Regardless of what they think, they are not going to change anything. The populations whether in Cape Bretton, or Long Island, will respond to nature.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:28 PM
SS/Veteran

We used to clean codfish fresh off a boat on Long Island. You'd find the same stuff you find in striper bellies...squid, fish, crustaceans... I doubt stripers are the only fish munching on Canada (and Maine's) lobsters.

Some people...some groups...seem to vilify a species for a number of reasons...or agendas. Lake Ontario has a nice population of huge brown trout...but if you talk to the folks who fish the St. Lawrence just east of there, some complain that the browns are eating the juvenile pike and bass. In a small Adirondack lake I've ice fished, they make sure no pike get released back...to protect the browns! A bunch of 10 lb bluefish are an efficient biomass with teeth. They can decimate a bait school in a hurry...when they want to. Then again, the stripers eat the snapper blues.

On a personal note, I want great whites introduced into NY's Salmon River...to munch on the guys who still snag salmon...
Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Lobsters are like the cockroaches of the sea... no amount of munching by stripers or other fish will wipe out the population. Just like down here with blue crabs.

In any native species, the fact they are around means they've all got the dynamic balance of predation figured out, albeit with some cycles of abundance and scarcity.

Same reason why I laugh about folks saying the stripers or blues have eaten all the weakfish etc. The real culprit in the equation is us. Always.

Haven't seen a striper lay down 50 lobster pots yet.

Last edited by RobS : 10-13-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:54 AM

All great posts on predation and human ignorance. There is so much junk science and fake news. The sheet-kickers of the Maritimes are as ill-informed as those in the states. It is all so speculative when they seek to explain less lobsters, less stripers, reduced bag limits. Management is such a joke: one year Rhode Island closed November striper fishing.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:15 AM

Much less is known about Maratime stripers than the lower, southern striper coast from mid-Maine south. Not sue why; maybe it is because there are lower angling populations or less interest in stripers way north.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Much less is known about Maratime stripers than the lower, southern striper coast from mid-Maine south. Not sue why; maybe it is because there are lower angling populations or less interest in stripers way north.
http://afs.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...4#.WeY4AFtSzmg

http://afs.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/1...eedAccess=true

Striped Bass of the Saint John River

Lack of commitment, money, and low historical pops all play into it.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:49 AM

I don't think the average Striper Coast angler fully understands the reverence that Maritime anglers to the north hold for Atlantic salmon. Here the salmon is a God and the striper is a course fish to be allowed to rot on the river banks. On Maine's Penobscot salmon fishing when a bass is hooked by a salmoneer, it is called a "phuckin striper". They will kill it if nobody is around.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:39 PM

Update.

Striped Bass expand upstream and into more northerly habitat

Quite rightly there is great concern over anglers discovering Striped Bass many dozens of kilometres above salt water. For example, on the Southwest Miramichi they were found above Rocky Brook, and in the Cascapedia 45 km. or more above the estuary.

One angler of the Northwest Miramichi who completed the ASF survey on Striped Bass sightings said:

I have never in my life, I'm 74, seen the concentration of fish that were in the Lower Northwest branch of he river. During one moment I caught 3 fish over 3 feet long on 3 consecutive casts. All were over the slot limit so one can only imagine what was in their stomachs.

In Labrador, fishermen were finding dozens of Striped Bass in their nets in Forteau Bay, even though they had never seen them previously.

Photographs were submitted of Striped Bass with Atlantic salmon smolts as their main stomach contents. Photo Greg Dixon

Pink Salmon in Newfoundland and Labrador

In the eastern Atlantic there had been great consternation in 2017 at the explosion of Pink Salmon being found in the rivers of Scotland and Ireland. These were the legacy of an ill-conceived effort to bring the species from rivers in the Russian Pacific region, and particularly from rivers flowing into the Sea of Okhotsk to rivers in Northwest Russia bordering the White Sea and Kola Peninsula. Finally established in the mid-1980s, they expanded into rivers in northern Norway and then lately further south.

When a Pink Salmon was found in Newfoundland's Gander River by guide Tim Sharpe, everyone was amazed, and perhaps a little shaken. Then two were found in different rivers in Labrador as well. Chances are these fish likely crossed the Atlantic, and are not a risk - but then, the species did colonize rivers in Norway on their own.

Pink Salmon in the Gander River. Photo Tim Sharpe

http://asf.ca/asf-rivernotes-9-nov-2017.html

"The times are a-changin'"
Old 11-16-2017, 01:40 PM

Walter, your posts are always fascinating information for our members and I use a lot of your stuff in my writing for The Fisherman. Keep on putting up Maritime material as it pertains to stripers and of course the interaction of stripers and salmon.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:50 PM

I love the blame game that goes on between salmon and striper fishermen over the decline of either species. No salmon because the stripers ate all the juvie salmon. Meanwhile the fisheries people shoot paper clips at Miss Prissy's butt when she bends over the file cabinet. (Oops, is that fake news?)
Old 11-25-2017, 11:34 AM

Yesterday I watched a wonderful film about Atlantic salmon in which the striper predation of Miramichi salmon is discussed and documented. The movie is awesome, educational, beautiful and worrisome. It lasts an hour and is worth every minute. To access:

https://vimeo.com/223358307. Password: salmon12
Old 11-25-2017, 04:04 PM

This is a great teaching tool for members who should understand that the striped bass is not the only important gamefish. I watched it in its entirety and was entertained and informed. Hats off and a single malt for Kib Bramhall, aka "tin Boat", for putting this up. I will be adding a thread to our striper fishermen who have never fished for Atlantic salmon.