Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:09 PM

Default Old Book "Striper Surf" chugs along .....

My second book, which first came out in 1992, a book my wife says is my signature title, was printed 13 times and made over $30,000. I just got a royalty check this week for a very small sales figure but the publisher keeps it in print. Seeing that check, which would barely pay for a dinner out, was kind of reminiscent for me. I launched my career in seminars and shows with that title. Remarks, accolades and reflections would be welcome. Send all criticisms to my Manitoba address.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Old Book "Striper Surf" chugs along .....

I recently fished a New England state I don't usually frequent. I had fun catching small bass. I realized how little I knew about the area, so I pulled out "Striper Hot Spots" when I got home. I'd read it a few years back, but picked up more this time as I'd become familiar with more areas recently.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:50 PM

I bought, read and greatly enjoyed Striper Surf around that time. I was in my early twenties and obsessed with fishing. I think I bought it at River's End in Old Saybrook at their old location down the street from where they are now.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:29 PM

Striper Surf came out at a time when there were little to no surf books on stripers. It was my best work and there was no competition. Now it is a different story. There are so many surf books, some bad, that the readership doesn't know what to trust. Nothing stays the same; the beat goes on.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:35 PM

My local library had a couple I think. I think I read everything they had about fishing There was more about fly fishing at that time.
Your book was the only current one I remember from that time, the other stuff was sort of "classic"
Old 11-18-2017, 02:19 PM

Striper Surf and Reading the Water are my two favorite fishing books. They're both on the shelf at my parents house. Read through them every time I'm home. Do your kids and or grandkids fish with the same intensity these days?
Old 11-19-2017, 03:40 PM

"Do your kids and or grandkids fish with the same intensity?"

No, not at all among the grandkids. Dick, who is 60, is in Vermont hunting his butt off. Flat out will not pay for a SW license. Carol who is now a grandmother remineces. The twins have both retired from 30 years in the CG. Susan is still at it with every aspect of fishing except selling fish. She teaches fly fishing part time, guides in Maine, has a consulting business plays at everything and is very successful.

The world has changed and the children have evolved with those changes.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
"Do your kids and or grandkids fish with the same intensity?"

No, not at all among the grandkids. Dick, who is 60, is in Vermont hunting his butt off. Flat out will not pay for a SW license. Carol who is now a grandmother remineces. The twins have both retired from 30 years in the CG. Susan is still at it with every aspect of fishing except selling fish. She teaches fly fishing part time, guides in Maine, has a consulting business plays at everything and is very successful.

The world has changed and the children have evolved with those changes.

Sounds like they're all happy and that's what's most important. My wife and kid are back in NJ visiting with my parents. I'm going to tell her to bring the books back to California. Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:43 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I was late to the party, but picked up Striper Surf somewhere around 2000, followed by Eastern Tides and 20 Years ... it was quite a surprise, almost a shock, to time-sync to realize how old your children (and by proxy, you) were after reading those!

Striper Surf was an eye opener for me, and stands the test of time. Locations, rules and regs may change, but the principles you laid out were and are sound!
Old 11-20-2017, 12:02 PM

Yes I bought that book when it first came out. I think it’s autographed. I think I’ll read it again over the holidays.

It sets a standard in terms of working a story in with basic instruction.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:51 PM

John, if you bought it when it first came out, you have the hard copy. The first printing were in hard copy. Once the hard copies sold out Globe-Pequot went to paperback, which they sold many more of resulting in 13 more printings. Of course the hard copies went so fast that you still could have an early "Striper Surf" in paperback.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 AM

Well that confirms, yes I have a hardcover
I think there was an ad in The Fisherman about the book.

There was a Doc Muller book ?Surf Fishing with the Experts? that came out at about the same time, possibly a bit earlier. You did a chapter in The Cape. Al Bentsen did a chapter I think. I kind of remember all this because I was relatively young in my career and didn?t have much money. I was fishing a lot with 2nd hand flea market gear, sleeping in lots in my car to fish consecutive rods. I remember running up a credit card bill at that time doing an order at CMS for Gibbs plugs etc.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:23 AM

Since we're reminiscing, I keep copies of Eastern Tides and Twenty Years at my beach house and read random chapters prior to bed. Just re-read about when the Big Bluefish moved in off PTown and Everyone was catching 18-20 lbers. Mr. Smarty had just submitted a story to NEF entitled Block Island Safari about catching "monster" 10 lb blues off the RI coast. At the time, I wasn't even a teenager yet, but subscribed to NEF and read every page of every magazine and saved them all. I remember that Block Island Safari story, probably still have a copy in a box in my basement. I just turned 50 a few months back. Sigh...
Old 11-21-2017, 04:11 PM

"Block Island Safari" was my first article to be published, in '69 or '70. There was a guy around here for years who said, "Daignault never knew nuthin about Block Island." I think he posted that over in Fiction, a competing web-site where they roasted and toasted Mr. Smarty. Back in the late 1960s nobody had ever seen bluefish and when they did a five-pound blue was considered average. Five pounds was a point fish in the Schaefer Contest. Thus, at the time I wrote it a 10 pound blue was a monster blue.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:59 PM

Of my eight books, "Fly Fishing the Striper Surf" was the dog. I just got my report on royalties this week. Because the fly book has not sold enough to get out of its advance, the publisher is able to take royalties from the good books so I won't get any money until enough of all titles covers the fly book advance.

Then you wonder why I no longer write striper books. One good stock buy, like McDonalds and you can pick up a few grand without getting your hands dirty.