Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Old Book "Striper Surf" chugs along .....

I stand corrected, I got the hardcover in 93.
I got washed off a jetty in October of that year and was in a walking cast, so I had more time to read.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2017, 02:02 PM

That shot of my autograph sure pushes some buttons. In '93 I don't think paperback had come out yet.

Striper Surf was supposed to be revised and the publisher even paid an advance for the revision. Then Globe-Pequot cancelled the revision and I never got the delivery balance. The book business is on the ropes.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
That shot of my autograph sure pushes some buttons. In '93 I don't think paperback had come out yet.

Striper Surf was supposed to be revised and the publisher even paid an advance for the revision. Then Globe-Pequot cancelled the revision and I never got the delivery balance. The book business is on the ropes.
I think pretty much all the books I got in the early days, all signed

Everybody still talks about Striper surf.

Nobody is doing books like this now. And trout books don't count
Old 11-27-2017, 01:57 PM

There are way too many self published striper books. Some titles are okay but others, because they lacked proper editing, give the striper book market a poor reputation. There is a reason why publishers will not take a book which causes it to be self published. Inasmuch as the consumer is not an expert on who is qualified to write a suitable title, that consumer is unable to make useful choices. If that person is unsure, they wont buy any book at all. Worse, the book business in general is not doing well because book stores are closing down at an alarming rate. Longer term if a person wants to publish they are much safer to do so in the magazine market. If a person cannot write short stories why then, pray tell, would they write long ones?
Old 11-28-2017, 01:45 PM

We are told over and over that the main reason people read the weeklies is for the reports. And people want to read articles “ to learn how to catch more fish”

Doesn’t giving them a story get tricky?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:34 PM

Not sure what you mean by "tricky". Yes, the reports are very popular and Fisherman Papers surveys substantiate that. I successful publication like the Fisherman provides a balance of how-to articles and reports. Articles in magazines provide an entertaining format. I spend a lot of time reading outdoor magazines, especially the hunting articles. However, some articles are hokum and riddled with fake facts. Some of that crappy stuff gets past the editor, which is another problem. Over the years I have seen some poor editing and others were wonderful. Right now I am working with two editors -- The Fisherman and Surfcasters Journal -- that have savvy editors with great angling backgrounds. I have also had some dip*hit editors, most of which have retired. (Of course when you have been around as long as I have, you see a lot.) The guy that fired me over the dog thing was a real dyed-in-the-wool ding-dong who did not know fishing. I also had an editor, Frank Woolner, who made my career. He used to really blow some smoke up my ash: "Daignault, you fooking Frenchman, you can write!"
Old 11-29-2017, 05:16 PM

Thanks. By “tricky” I mean providing a good story when it seems like many readers might want “where to” But you are right if you select the publication that has an audience you’d rather communicate with all the better. SJ seems to cater to a more seasoned Surfcaster.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:26 PM

Surfcasters Journal is a Long Island outfit with a lot of good writers where a lot of surfcasting is practiced. I write something for them every year. Well run with a nice editorial balance.

When the Fisherman has their fall show at Huntington, Long Island they pack them in. Years ago, when The Trophy Striper was released, the line buying the book stretched outside for a good quarter mile. Man, did we ever sell books! Publisher Peter Burford could not believe his eyes.