Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:08 PM

Default Fishing for Atlantic Salmon

Remark, ask questions regarding fishing for Atlantic salmon. Reflect upon salmon fishing, how you feel about it. Mister Smarty did a lot of salmon fishing during the striper moratorium. I can help.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Fishing for Atlantic Salmon

Salmon and the noble striper are both anadromlous fish.

But what are the differences? In behavior, in how one angles for them, and in relative importance as both game and sport fish.

I could ask 10 questions, easy, but I'll save some for everyone else.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:19 AM

A prime difference is that sport fishing for Atlantic salmon is done in the natal rivers to which the fish return to spawn. They are there for sex, not food, and so far no one has invented a sex fly. This presents challenges that don't exist in striped bass fishing.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:34 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Boat View Post
A prime difference is that sport fishing for Atlantic salmon is done in the natal rivers to which the fish return to spawn. They are there for sex, not food, and so far no one has invented a sex fly. This presents challenges that don't exist in striped bass fishing.
I think that challenge MAY exist is striper fishing, but we don't realize it. Unless you fish in the rivers (Hudson for example), you don't have the opportunity to fish to spawners. I don't know the answer to this, but is it possible that when they ARE spawning in the rivers, they don't feed. They DO feed in rivers before and after spawning for certain.

That brings up a difference in salmon and stripers: Their spawning methods
Stripers are "broadcast spawners"...males and females squirt their stuff into the current simultaneously.
Salmon build "redds" ...depressions in the stream bed where a male (or 4) will eject sperm onto the eggs coming out of the female into the gravel.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:01 PM

Having done both salmon and stripers, I can say that the fishing is wildly different. Pools where the salmon rest or hold are often loaded with salmon shoulder to shoulder. But this load of fish just sit there watching every General Practitioner or Black Bear/Green butt ever spawned from the vices of dreamers. The salmon then draw lots for which of them is going to bust the angler balls by rolling on the surface of the pool. In Causucal, Quebec, the anglers will shout in French, "guarde la mouch"!
Watch the fly.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:40 AM
SS/Veteran

The Atlantic Salmon's natal rivers in Canada, particularly, Quebec, fascinate me: I've never been up there -- the farthest north I got was Quebec City -- but they seem beautiful in an almost otherworldly way. Quebec is huge, more than twice the size of Texas, but the population is only 8 million, which is not much more than metro Philly -- and 90% of those people live within an hour's drive of the U.S. border. When you get away from the population centers, up in Gaspe and beyond, it must be spectacularly devoid of humans. I'm going to have to get up there one of these days, whether I fish for salmon or not.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:20 PM

I hope everybody here has called up the story "Tin Boat" posted for a better understanding of the salmon/striper relationship. Then you will understand the complexity of salmon fishing's future. Continuation of salmon fishing, dah, is dependent upon having salmon to fish for. Now, more to the subject here, the actual salmon fishing.

Surprised no one is asking about why salmon fishing is not done with a spinning outfit and devil spoon. That answer would be related to customs and refined ethics of fly fishing. Not sure why, other than spinning would decimate existing populations, fly fishing is required. It is deeply engrained in the ethos of Atlantic salmon to fly fish. If you showed up on a salmon river with a spinning reel they would kill you. In Maine's Penobscot we had a guy bring his handicapped son to the pool and put him on the side with a spinning reel and devil spoon to fish out of the way. The father pointed out that "Johnny" was only a kid with severe developmental shortcomings and the rest of us, some knowing exactly what was going to happen, rolled our eyes to watch Johnny hook an Atlantic Salmon on the third cast. Little was said about the boy's salmon encounter, but it was clear that the incident miffed a lot of us off. I don't like telling you this because here, especially, the striper is supposed to be king. Sorry, and I know that I risk having a box of dog poop mailed to me, but it is the Atlantic salmon that is the true royalty. Questions? I have more copy for tomorrow and other days. I wrote notes in the deer woods this morning.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:58 PM
SS/Veteran

" but it was clear that the incident miffed a lot of us off " ...did the boyz happen to see the look on the boys face as he reeled one in w/ assistance ? strange bunch on the Salmon River

your correct when you say the Striper is King here but with 92 species of fish taken w/ rod & reel , saltwater & freshwater in my lifetime , you would be correct again w/ the Salmon being royalty maybe queen but the Silver King Tarpon is sitting on the throne & answers to no other . Just my opinion & not to get any panties in a knot
Old 11-27-2017, 08:08 PM

I knew there would be disagreements and frustration. I am only reporting what it is. Not endorsing it. Hook, I appreciate your point of view, but tarpon are puke by comparison to A. Salmon.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I knew there would be disagreements and frustration. I am only reporting what it is. Not endorsing it. Hook, I appreciate your point of view, but tarpon are puke by comparison to A. Salmon.
thanks nothing like a good post to get you going after 7pm I looked in the mirror this am did not notice any brown spots on my nose . What would this place be if everyone agreed w/ you ?
Old 11-28-2017, 11:21 AM

Not sure if people know this, but Atlantic Salmon were also native to some of the Great Lakes including Lake Ontario. Unfortunately they were wiped out in the early 20th century. Good news is through stocking the Atlantic Salmon are slowly making a comeback. Some rivers in New York such as the salmon river have a growing population. I saw a guy catch a 15 lber there once. Very cool fish.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:44 AM
SS/Veteran

If the oceans are indeed warming, as seems both obvious and non-controversial (it's the cause of the warming that has become a political football), isn't it a natural consequence that striped bass would move north, and would begin to compete with salmon, and even to eat salmon smolt? Both fish are native, and like just about all wild fish, stripers are not that discriminate about what they will eat: if it fits in their gullet, and they can catch it, then down the hatch it goes.

Might the increased striper populations from Maine and points North and East be further evidence of the warming oceans? And could this represent a new threat to the troubled Atlantic Salmon populations?
Old 11-28-2017, 01:39 PM
SS/Veteran

To share Fly fishing for Broodstock Atlantic Salmon on the Naugatuck River in Connecticut is something a few of us do yearly . If you like to swing streamers it’s not a far drive from the Garden State . You would be pleased to know they fight better than Stripers .
Old 11-28-2017, 02:54 PM

Hook, my remarks on tarpon are not me. Rather it is the way it is. When I tell members some of these things, I am only defining how the world is, not necessarily how I want to endorse such sentiments. For instance, I don't consider the striper a crap fish, but I do know they are thought of as a crap fish elsewhere. "Phuckin striper" they say when one takes their salmon fly.

Juries are still out on whether global warming is part of the salmon/striper situation. Makes sense. But there are a lot of things that could influence this new salmon predation issue as the film points out. It could be all the things on the list, where each have an influence upon the outcome.

I know one thing: the Atlantic salmon is a wonderful fish which is fished by a set of rules that make it harder to fish for it. They watch all those flys swing past a hundred or a thousand times until they blow a gasket and attack. Once hooked you fight a naturally strong fish in a raging river current which, when combined, can spool your backing right quick.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:52 PM
SS/Veteran

global warming ..I guess its happening after witnessing prehistoric Ice Calving @ Hubbard's Glacier Alaska I can be persuaded to believe ,but there was a time when this planet did not have ice on it . What goes around comes around.