Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:19 PM
SS/Veteran

Jason just got my PC fixed was down for 4 days. About newspaper writers there aren't any daily reporters left. There are a few that write one or two days a week thats it. We have 100 times more people fishing long island now than 30 years ago and there's nothing for them to read. In the 1940,s to 1980,s. We had daily column's on something important, fishing news, now nothing.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:14 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Al,
Glad you got the computer fixed.Always good to read your posts. You are right about the newspaprs.When i was growing up in the 60's,the local paper always had a daily fishing column,written by a local guy that was out just about every day.Now,it's every couple days if you are lucky,and a big section on Fridays to entice the visitors,written by guys who call a few B&T's and take their word as the total truth...
Old 07-22-2005, 01:26 AM
SS/Veteran

Yes, same thing on the Cape.The weekly reports-- (which are summaries of the week already past) .. But I still turn to Molly Benjamins' column. She has a great sense of humor and is able to convey it in her writing and can make me LOL. You've mentioned her before Frank--was she fishing commercially around the same time as you guys? They're aren't many women as memorable as a "Sylvia" but Molly seems like one of them. I think she writes a hunting/outdoor column too.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:27 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Al,
A question about on old time Long Islander.Back when I was REAL young,late 50's- early 60's,my mother had an uncle that had a charter boat on the south shore I believe,not sure what town.Name was Russell Krehn or Dacey(not sure which,but was on my mothers side)also had a small motel about a block from the water.Cant ask my mom,as she passed awy a few years ago.Ever hear of him? Thanks!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:25 AM
SS/Veteran

Ragman I never heard of him but I probably wouldn't I never knew any by name unless they were surf fisherman first.

Somebody that reads this might have heard of him.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Daignault:
Maybe we should start a thread on "Googan Outdoor Writers". They're out there,

It would use up too much bandwidth

My favorite was the late Jerry Kenney of the NY Daily News, who was a general sports writer until the day the editor told him "Jerry, you're the new Outdoors guy". Now his daughter (or maybe even his granddaughter) seems to have inherited the job.

I can think of two, off the top of my head, who knew more than a little bit about what they were writing about---Nelson Bryant of the NY Times, and Molly Benjamin. But I have to confess, I stopped reading most outdoor columns long ago. Altho I do glance at Rock's column in Newsday every now and then, just for comic relief.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Molly Benjamin was the real deal as an experienced writer. She loved, loved my Twenty Years on the Cape. She has a patch over her eye and has a thick Maine twang. Only thing missing is the flippin parrot on her shoulder "har, harrrr". I'll put up the Googan Outdoor Writers thread. (And repeat this.)
Old 07-23-2005, 12:57 AM
SS/Veteran

Al,
Did you say you are using 65lb "Stealth" line? I've been using Power Pro with good results but I wanted to see what you were experiencing with the Stealth line so I tried to get some and my local shops can't find it. Who has it on Long Island-or, do you get it from a cataloge? Does it "stay round" like the Power Pro??????JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 07-23-2005, 11:22 AM
SS/Veteran

Jason I use 80 pound test so I can see it and work with it at night. At 73 the eyes don't have it any more. I would suggest you use 65 pound. And yes I got it from a catalog. So far it's a great line.

Any truth to the rumor that you caught another flounder over 4 pounds in Quincy?
Old 07-23-2005, 07:38 PM
SS/Veteran

quote:
Originally posted by ALB31:
Any truth to the rumor that you caught another flounder over 4 pounds in Quincy?

Yes Al, the nasty rumor is true! I got another 4 lb, 7ounce winter flounder. Last year, that would have gotten first place in that contest. This year, its only good for fourth place. There is a picture on my website: http://www.littlesister1.com ........JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 07-29-2005, 09:49 AM
SS/Veteran

This should probably start a new topic but I haven't started a topic on here and don't know how (educatate me?).
I was talking with Al Bentsen the other day via phone and I mentioned to him that my friends in Montauk are not doing as well (not by a longshot) this year on big stuff, as the past few years. Bentsens reply was that is because the population is being depleated. "You can't have 200-500 boats a day taking 10-20 big bass per boat, year after year without it having an adverse effect on the overall population."
I have to agree. I've seen a definate decline in overall numbers in the "Boston Harbor Area" too in the past few years. I think a lot has to do with the "daily bag limit" going up from one to two. Overnight, that one thing (more than)doubled the bass mortality in a given year!
How can doubling the limit more than double the mortality? Easy. First off, it increases the overall effort. Now, people who weren't bass fishing on charterboats because all they could keep was one fish now do. And more often than not, when you are into fish, big fish, it is hard for people who don't see them every day to practice catch and release. Especially when they see the next few fish that come up are "BIGGER" then the ones (limit) that they already have in the box. So they either do some culling by either intentionally throwing the smaller (dead) ones over or, they simply keep over their already expanded limit (hell, no one is checking anyway).
Also, people on charterboats are often people on vacation with no cooking facilities who shouldn't be keeping ANY fish at all. Yet when they see what big fish they are catching it's so hard to resist. After all, they won't go to waste, they will give them "to someone". Or, they will go to a restaurant and barter for a nice meal.
I've seen all kinds of "justification" for senseless slaughter and the charterboat captain is in a no win situation. He can't tell his charter they can't keep their legal limit (although what I do is question them as to their intent and "try" to explain that it's senseless to kill fish to "give away" to people you don't know, just so you can.)as they are ultimatly going to do what they want if it's legal.
On the topic of "nobody's looking": I've been chartering for many years and I've NEVER been boarded/checked by any law enforcement personel while doing so. I find that hard to believe but it's true. The one time I EVER was boarded was when I was commercially fluke fishing (rod and reel, of course) in Moriches Inlet. The guy checked my box and my license (didn't measure anything) and went on his way. Consider the thousands of days and nights I've fished, to only be checked once!!!!!! Which is another reason there seems to be a bass decline,...THERE IS A WHOLE LOT OF POACHING GOING ON! JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 07-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Capt Jason,
I agree this should start a new topic,agree with you too on the contents.
To start a new topic,go to the top of the page,the green line,click new,the message box will come up,type a heading,and just do the message same as a reply.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Yes, Jason, it is easy.

A friend of mine went out on a charter boat live-lining and he said that nothing thrown back could possibly have lived because of gut hooking with trebles.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:13 AM
SS/Veteran

Al,
Can you imagine the possibility of someone so entrenched in bass-fishing (Chuck) and then giving it up so completly? What could be the reasoning? I ask because it baffles me....JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 08-06-2005, 01:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Jason I don't know why he moved to the cape and stopped bass fishing. I know when he was younger he fish with guys that devoted there lives to the pursuit of big bass. The cost to them was failure in business, devorce and of course the loss of their children.

Once Chuck got married he put the persuit of bass on the back burner. He became successful in every thing he ever worked at. He and his wife raised two fine young men. He lives where he always wanted to. I guess he felt he didn't have to fish anymore.

A lot of people give it up.