Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-06-2005, 07:08 PM
SS/Veteran

quote:
Originally posted by ALB31:
Jason I don't know why he moved to the cape and stopped bass fishing. A lot of people give it up.

A lot of people give it up? I don't know any; I figure it's like an addiction, once your hooked..............JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 08-06-2005, 09:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Jason now you met your first one "Chuck". You will meet many many more as time goes by.

A lot of bass clubs have a 50% turnover every ten years.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:29 AM
SS/Veteran

Al,
Don't get me wrong! Over the years, I've seen thousands of people bass fishing that have all dissapeared for whatever reason. However, in the case of "Chuck", this was a "hard core", knowledgable, seasoned, "50 SLAYER" (like me and you) who just gave it up. I have to look at Chuck as one of "Me", and I can't see myself giving it up.
Sure, I've changed, evolved; I don't fish the beach as much as I would like to, even though I PREFER" to fish the beach. As the boat is so much more efficient and my time is so limited, I almost "HAVE" to boat fish to justify going out at all! Where I live, the nearest places to have a "reasonable" chance to catch a respectible fish from the beach are at least 45 minutes away (1.5 hours roundtrip). Often, that is the entire amount of time I have for a personal outing, the boat is right in front of my house, blah, blah, blah....
I do "intend" to to get back on the beach when my "working years" slow down (I might even move to "The Cape"). I dream of the days when I can fish every night of the week, all night, just like I used to when we fished together. Chuck "intends" to not fish at all! JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 08-12-2005, 01:21 PM
SS/Veteran

I'm really surprised by that too--"you will meet many many more guys that give it up." It's kind of sad. I wonder why they would since it is like an addiction--once you get bit by the bug of catching bass, that's all you want to do. Unless it's for health reasons or maybe family issues? Could it be once they reach all their goals, like catching a 50, or better they feel like they "did it all" and it's just not a challenge anymore? Except you guys have done that and better and you don't feel that way. It's so weird! I read one story where a guy who fished for years finally got a 50 lber from shore and he stopped fishing right after that.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I have a seen a lot of former commercials give it up for good. They can't go back to sport fishing. Many never came back from the moratorium. Also, the regulations since the moratorium for commercials do not allow much slack only tempt people to cheat. My wife has never recovered and only fishes if I happen to need a fish for eating; even then, she will suit up and sit in the buggy playing oldies or sleep in the stones. sometimes, after I have determined the potential for a good one, she will fish so that we can get some action film. It is like there is no returning from being a commercial. It is like a person is ruined once they have tasted the high drama of catching hundred dollar fish. I see "Joe Crow" of the Eastern Tides book a lot and he just laments the old days. Seeing him it is like a funeral, like something is dead. All he does is those 'remember the time?' post mortems. I have it a little bit but I see any fishing as a chance to get material for my writing. We are all inexorably altered by the commercial thing. Perhaps it is some kind of punishment, some kind of payback for what we did.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank your right the peson Capt. Colby is refering to "Chuck" always say's when I ask why, is that it's not the same.

We went from a game with no rules an open range. To an armed camp with many restrictions.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:25 PM

Things not being the same is a theme that I use to end many of my books. We age, we evolve, we become victims of our own existance.

Seashore Park rangers scare me because they lack any true understanding of what is going on at the beach they manage. Back then, most were school teachers and I know school teachers. I know that I have said this before but there is more freedom pulling up at a spot that you don't have to air out for than that police state atmosphere of a "managed" beach.

Many regulars have also aged out of surfcasting and no longer can take the kind of committment that fishing the beach requires. You are going to take way more good bass if young enough to put into practice what you spent a lifetime learning to do. Surfcasting's curse is the lost sleep and the hours when it is best practiced. To digress for a point, an old man, or woman, can do well hunting, even better than when they were young because it is not a grueling activity. Rather, it is a case of patience combined with knowledge of the game's rudiments .... in the daytime, in the daytime. Each season fishing gets harder. Each season in the woods, gets easier.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:48 AM
SS/Veteran

I want to retire soon so I can fish the beach every night from May to November for all the years I have left before my health fails. I get out often enough now, just to save whats left of my sanity but I see the writing on the wall.
Bentsen is 26 years older than me and his fishing this year has been hampered by health issues. For a man of 73, who had a heart attack over 30 years ago, Al is in fantastic shape. But age creeps up on you no matter how well you take care of yourself. This year its one thing, next year it could be another; or perhaps he could get lucky and have a few trouble free years. Who knows?
My other option is to forget about work and family obligations and move right onto the beach NOW! I used to believe I would catch the world record striped bass. I used to think I had to fish harder. I was already fishing 7 nights/week.
Bentsen has been very consistant throughout his (many)years as a surfcaster. From what I've seen, Al has always fished 2-5 nights a week depending on how good the fishing is, and other obligations. Multiply 3.5 by a 30 week season and you have over 100 outings a year and he's been at it for over 50 years (over 5,000 trips)!
Is that about right Al?
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 08-21-2005, 05:07 PM
SS/Veteran

Jason I never thought about how many trips I made to the waters edge. But your number could be close.

Many have thought about leaving job and family to fish full time and some have done just that. Its not a good move as the years go by and the family grows up you will lose them for good. As you grow older you will most certainly need their support help and love.

Its family and job first and fishing a distant third.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:51 PM

I find it sad to hear that people who loved to fish so much end up giving it up either because they are jaded from years of catching large or because it is an addiction that takes control of them, and they come to the conclusion that it will end up ruining there life.It's a wonderful thing to strike a balance of fishing and our "real life".I get just as big a thrill to catch a small fish from a new area I found as a large in a place I have fished a hundred times.I love the Hunt.Hopefully we all get what were looking for in our fishing.

Doug M
Old 10-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Default Re: old friend,

To go along with the Al Bentsen memorial thread, I revived this thread. It is from late winter 2005, when Al first stared posting here. Yes, it is long, but if you are serious about surfcasting, it is well worth the time.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Thank you Ragman priceless read.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:24 AM

Frank, the comments about not going back are spot on. My old man fished comm for most of my formative years. You actually know him, and we shared some of the same beach and schools of Cape Cod Fall run schools, Nauset, high Head, et all.
When they shut down the comm seasons, he has yet to wet a line, in fact one day soon I'm going to get down in his basement, and grab all the Murats out of the hangers and clean up all the Geenies mounted on them. I'm going to do my best to get the cases of Atoms and Gibbs lures he used to buy bulk with fish money as well.
I've taken the conservation route, which he doesn't understand, and have given up boats completely for the last 7 years. I have also taken up skishing and now would rather float than stand on a rock. Evolution is what it's all about.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripercoast1 View Post
Frank, the comments about not going back are spot on. My old man fished comm for most of my formative years. You actually know him, and we shared some of the same beach and schools of Cape Cod Fall run schools, Nauset, high Head, et all.
When they shut down the comm seasons, he has yet to wet a line, in fact one day soon I'm going to get down in his basement, and grab all the Murats out of the hangers and clean up all the Geenies mounted on them. I'm going to do my best to get the cases of Atoms and Gibbs lures he used to buy bulk with fish money as well.
I've taken the conservation route, which he doesn't understand, and have given up boats completely for the last 7 years. I have also taken up skishing and now would rather float than stand on a rock. Evolution is what it's all about.
You think your father is bad, or that I was jaded. My wife Joyce doesn't even want to fish half the time. Fishing for Atlantic salmon in Maine during the boratorium, I almost had to beat her to get her to release a salmon. "Why are we here? What are we doing? What is the point?"

This is a great thread, fitting for Al's memory. I am also enjoying it.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:19 PM

I think what it comes down to, and I believe you can back me up on this Frank, is that when the main purpose for fishing is the money, then it aint about the fish. I was young enough to not be jaded by the money. Bass were fun and I loved the fight, I was allso old enough when the shut down happened that I understood it was caused by many facets. The old man pointed fingers in every direction except when he stood in front of his mirror shaving in the morning.
I was also young enough to listen to Bob Ponds warnings and hear what he was saying. Too many guy's made the comment "here comes chicken little" when they saw him approaching. To this day I respect the man for his foresight and willingness to finance research with his own money. I always wonder what things would be like today had more fisherman took him more seriously.
Although my club is young and growing, we will one day honor Mr. Ponds with a Conservationist of the Year award named after him, for the member that does most to promote a conservation ethic.
I also have the last "40" he removed from the mould the day before he turned the company over to the new owners, autographed of course. It was still hot when he handed it to me.