Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-15-2005, 03:25 PM
SS/Veteran

That's why I think at least a few 70's will come from fresh water this year.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:32 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I don't know about some of these posts. "Back in the days, back in the days," I really get tired of hearing about how good we had it in the old days. It all trivializes what fishers did way back when. Maybe there is something above that I don't understand; I prefer to think that.

Rag, I don't know the difference because I have no experience with sea herring. I only know that they get larger than alewives, are high in protein and are not the same fish. Herring used as a colloquial name for alewives is just not accurate.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Frank,
So the herring the stripers were chomping on in the surf this fall are different than the ones you catch in the brackish or fresh water in the spring? The ones in the spring are alewives,and the ones in the surf are herring?
Old 02-17-2005, 05:12 PM

Probably, but I don't know what was in your surf. Herring is kind of a catch all term. We have always had guys who called something a "herring" because they wanted to seem smart, that they knew. We have bluebacks, sea herring, alewives and probably some other species. I could look them up in a text, but i think you get the idea. No question but that the average fisherman, including me, does not identify bait well. In RI they don't even know they have a fall mullet run. In New Jersey half the members here miss the wrasse run; but it is very fast, very fast.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Thanks Frank,
I'm not touching that wrasse thing... I understand what you mean about knowing which bait is which.Between the differnt types of killies,spearing/silversides,rainfish,gar/pipefish,it does get confusing...As long as the fish are eating them,I guess thats all that counts!Someone posted something in the Main forum I believe for FishTank with a link to some different types of baitfish and such.The only one I could identify right away was my buddy the sea robin.The others,I have seen but always thought they were something else...Learn something everyday
Old 02-18-2005, 09:13 AM

Your right, bait ID only matters as a conversation piece. We still have guys, some with a lot of years in the striper surf, who don't know the difference between a silverside and a sand-eel. Put on a Rebel is all.

One time in Huntington I asked a waitress (tight dress, sweaty cleaveage) if they had wrasse on the menu. And she, pretending to check the menu herself, shook her head no. Too bad, I said, a little wrasse never hurt anybody.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:23 PM
SS/Veteran

One more heart break story. Time period early 60,s.
You need too know a little bit about sand eels before I start. Sand eels go to sleep at night by burrowing in the sand and when daybreak comes they pop out. This is not a problem in the fall when the nights are 12 hours long. However in the early summer the nights on the cape are very short,six or seven hours at best. When its high tide at sunset its low incoming at daybreak. Cosequently if they are packed against the beach at sunset they dive in the sand all the way up too the high tide line.

After fishing all night in a thick fog with rigged eels, we had a couple of cows in the box in the rear of Mels truck to show for are hard work. As daybreak broke we decided to head back to the cottage. The fog wasn't a problem we just followed the sand rut. I was sitting on the ocean side of the truck and I was staring at the water as we drove. I suddenly noticed thousands of sandeels bouncing all over the beach. It was low tide and they came out at first light. Mel stopped the truck for a closer look. I walked down to the quite, gentle surf line. There were big cow bass all over enjoying this free meal 20 to 30 feet away from where I stood. Normally the birds would devour this free lunch before many could wash into the sea. But they wouldn't or couldn't fly in the fog. The bass were chowing down.
Mel,I and Charlie jumped to the truck to try and find some suitable hooks. Like a 3/0 or 7/0 eagle claw...There was on one in the truck and it was Mels..it was his truck....He rigged it up with the free bait on the beach and started catching. Meanwhile Charlie and I were cutting the 9/0 siwash hooks out of a couple of rigged eels...We rigged them up and loaded them with sandeels.The bass would only push them with their nose..They wouldn,t bite, not even one fish. Mel was hooking up every time he got it out there. After a while the fog started to lift and the birds took over the free sandeels.Mel landed about 5 nice bass, when we quit Charlie and I had none.
Since that day I always carried bait hooks in my truck or wallet But I never encountered that situation again.

Im reminded about that day everytime I put my wallet in my back pocket and sit down the wrong way.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:56 AM

This story reminds me of when Frank's kids were yanking sand eels out of the sand and putting them onto the backs of their "Webels", if I got it right. They were scoring while no one else was. I think it was in "Twenty Years".
Old 02-23-2005, 12:03 PM

Al B, your advice in the "surf fishing at night" book was A1. I have been using riggies regularly for about 4 or 5 years. They have landed my season's biggest fish for the last three years now, following your advice closely. I assume you have switched to the superbraid over the micron line but did you have any other advice on riggies that you didn't mention in the book? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Mr. Bentzen: Do you think that you will catch more 50+ BASS this year?

I'm still looking for my first.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:55 PM

Awesome thread. Note the views. Could we say that Al is the quentessential "non-googan"?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Siberian Husky Rescue

I've just been kicking back and enjoying this immensely. Hiya Al.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:59 PM
SS/Veteran

NiftyBruin I glad to hear you had success following the directions I gave too rig and work a rigged eel. I really didn't leave anything out that would add to your knowledge now.
I switched too the superbraid when it first came out and Im now using it on a Penn 525 mag. In my opinion it's the best conventional reel out there.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:32 PM
SS/Veteran

biggstriper. I really don't have any idea if I'll catch a fifty this year. It probably depends on the bunker supply in the areas I have access too and a lot of luck.
Right now we have big bass around and most of them are stalking the few bunker schools that are left." I beleive commercial fishing is taking 90% of the bunker".

Almost all the 50,s my friends or I have taken in New York over the years, occured when the bunker were in resident where we fished.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:55 AM
SS/Veteran

Mr. Bentzen: What do you think about the chances of catching a 70+ fish from a fresh water lake like Lake Cumberland?
I think that they're in that lake, but the people fishing for them are going about it in the wrong way.