Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:33 PM
SS/Veteran

Biggstriper I don't know anything about land locked stripers and the lakes they are in.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Frank,
We could say that,but just remember,if it wasnt for his connecting with another quentesential "non googan",namely you,and the fact that you guys fished together "back in the days of yore",and are willing to share your knowledge,where would us "real googans" be? Well boys and curls,probably fileting shorts in the dunes,trying to figure out which end of the eel to put the hook in,and retching in the dunes when we inevitably do something dumb and lose the fish of our dreams.So,Mr Bentsen,thank you. And Mr D,thank you also,though you hear that so much,me thinks you dont really appreciate what you have taught your students from CASTS.
I'll have to come up with a winter question to make you or me for now...
Old 02-25-2005, 08:41 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Let me tell you about Al and his ilk. In 1970, when we were forced off of Nauset Beach, we got to P-town and found a lot of New York surfcasters fishing with conventionals and who really knew how to fish. It was a great experience for us, our son, Dick, and me because, being from Nauset, we had never seen that. We really looked up to these guys and these guys looked up to Al. Where I went against the local grain, though I never did so consciously, was that "New Yorkers" were not foreigners. Prior to that we had only known the "Jersey bunch" as the only real surfcasters on Nauset. Most of the Mass P-town fishermen were boatmen who would sometimes launch without their drain plug in place.

And, oh, thanks Rags.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:56 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Frank,
As far as "foreigners",down here at IBSP,it's the Pennsylvaia guys. There are quite a few.However,if you watch what they do and listen a little,you can learn a lot from some,but not all of them.Two stand out in my mind.One is a transplant who is now a local,and his buddy who comes down every week.The local guys name is Dave,dont ask me what his buddy's name is.Brown Ford p/u and camper guy is how I remember them. They usually fish the same area at the park as I do.One morning last spring,after I was getting fish and they werent(only about 50 yards apart),I happened to meet Ford p/u at the air station.Started BS"ing,and he wanted to know what I was using to get fish and they were getting noting.I used clams,they were using bunker chunks.Now,whenever I see them on the beach,always stop to say hi,ask how the fishing is etc.If they are using mullet,and all I have is clam,they always offer me some,and showed me how to fish it.If I'm getting them on plugs,I tell them what I'm using,and they will usually give it a try. I guess the point I'm trying to make here,hope I'm not taking too long with this,is,even if the person isnt a "local" its worth paying attention to what they have to offer.You never know if you are talking with a Frank Daignault or an Al Bentsen,who might just have one more thing to get you the "keys to the castle"
Old 02-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Senior Fellow

My friend Rags,
Just a note from another Pennsyltuckian --- the most sucessful striper guys at Lake Raystown are catching on live alewives that they call herring. However my boss hooked a 35 lber. on a lake trout spoon. The Raystown record is either 54 or 56 # but, of course, the locals (my home office is there), say that it holds much larger fish. I have one hell of a time identifying some of the baitfish but I do believe that the shad is the largest member of the herring family. Frank has gotten my interest stirred in breaking out my salt water fly fishing gear. I'm not sure if I will live long enough to learn how to tie and still have time to fish so I will probably buy some all the flyes I can that look like any bait I've ever seen in the NJ surf. Or, perhaps it would be smarter if I bought my buddy Hippie a fly vise and equipment for his birthday. Won't be long now Rags. I'm sorry i will miss Frank at the Bash but it is my mandatory get the Hatteras cottage ready week.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 02-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Biggestsquid,
My son does the livelineing with herring(alewives) in the spring in Point Pleasnt canal,he gets them in the upper Metedeconk,and keeps them in a pen in the lagoon behind his house.This year,hes hooking up a tank in the back of his jeep and getting the pass for IBSP.So dont be surprized if you see me TRYING to figure out how to fish them down at the inlet this spring... Sorry you are gonna miss the Bash,it should be a humdinger!!! BTW,you still have that garvey for sale?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Senior Fellow

Garvey is being rebuilt somewhere in your neighborhood. I was promised a fishing trip when it is done. That live bait seminar at Belmar was great. You guys will figure it out. I just looked on the internet for Herring and it shows tarpon as part of the herring family. So much for shad being the biggest member. I hate it when I'm wrong.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 02-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Squid,
I'm the one who has to figure it out,he's a sharpie when it comes to it.The old man is slow to change his ways though... Too bad the garvey was sold,that would have been great to get back to the Sedges with...
Old 02-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Sorry Frank,got a little off topic...
Old 02-26-2005, 04:52 PM
SS/Veteran

Hey Al,

What is that guys name that makes those swimming plugs you like and how can I contact him? OR,.....Where can I purchase his plugs/what are they called???

JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 02-27-2005, 09:46 AM
SS/Veteran

The plug name is the Beach Master. It was or is sold at CMS in your state under their label "CMS". Bernies in Sheepshead Bay has them and they are carried at montauk. The plug is hot usually sell out soon after they get them. I believe they are sold in R.I. I'll find out where And e-mail you. The guys are Bobby and John. The plug to ask for is the Junior swimmer.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:44 AM

I believe the Rhody source for Beachmasters is The Saltwater Edge in Newport.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Here we go. Another love affair.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:44 AM
SS/Veteran

quote:
Originally posted by ALB31:
The plug name is the Beach Master. It was or is sold at CMS in your state under their label "CMS". Bernies in Sheepshead Bay has them and they are carried at montauk. The plug is hot usually sell out soon after they get them. I believe they are sold in R.I. I'll find out where And e-mail you. The guys are Bobby and John. The plug to ask for is the Junior swimmer.

They had a bunch of Beachmaster plugs at CMS last fall.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

I promised myself that I would stay out of this thread but I just have to add something to the mix. Scott Bullock of Salty's Custom Plugs has introduced an Eel skin plug for 2005. These were extensivley field tested last Fall in New England before Scott decided to introduce them this year. The best review he received was from a Connecticut "eel afficiando":

"Holy crap I'm going to catch a **** load of bass with this thing."
UNQUOTE

On his web site right now is the all time coolest plug you will ever see but its NOT for sale!

http://www.saltybugger.com