Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:24 PM
SS/Veteran

I do not know of any hall of fame for surfcasters. I would think if they did have one it would require 2 doors. One for the fisherman that caught,killed,or released and weighed their catches with witnesses. The other door for the other guys that say they caught, released and weighed their catches without any witnesses.

Catch and release opened a whole new ball game.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Al, as usual, you got that right. Years ago, during the Schaefer Contest, i used to get the catch report from Schaefer. i started to notice this one guy from a club lead the largest surf blue, the largest surf weakfish, then the largest surf bass. After a few months, he lead every catagory Schaefer had. All of a sudden he disappeared and i asked some of the guys I knew from his state what happened to him. it seems the officers in his club called him in and started asking questions about the dates he caught these fish when he was known to have been somewhere other than fishing. You guessed it.

Of course, that is not everybody. But it cannot be too easy for people like that because they will corrupt it. Hall of Fame? i don't think so. Not surfcasting. Even boating does not support a Hall of Fame. There is a Hall of Fame but that is for all sorts of fish -- pouts, louts, wrasse.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank,
Why don't you start a "Hall of Fame" . As you are a recognized authority on the subject of surfcasting for striped bass and you seem to have some time on your hands (at least in the winter months)....You can make all the rules, set the requirements yourself and/or establish a "panel of experts" to screen potential applicants/nominees to seperate the louts and wrasse from the real deal. What do you think?
JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 04-17-2005, 11:11 AM

No thanks. The legal liability would be huge. Worse, once the one upmanship got started, efforts for recognition would be out of control. Besides, I already have all I can handle organizing the Old Surfcasters Home on BI. But I do appreciate your confidence in me.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:45 AM
SS/Veteran

Too bad! I just feel that people like Bentsen (before he goes the way of the others) should be recognized in a more permanent forum other than the occational printed item that can be lost or forgotten. If there were a recognized place for such a biography, a lot of great surfcasters won't be forgotten.
What is "The Old Surfcasters Home"? Why don't you dedicate the walls there to this cause? I'm sure there are some lawyers that are "regulars" on this site that would help you set your rules and your criteria so that you are free from potential liability. A well placed and well worded "disclaimer" might be all that is necessary.........JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 04-18-2005, 10:23 AM

Jason, I was kidding you about the surfcasters home because I thought you were kidding me. The only lawyer that was ever on this site, that I know of, referred to Frank Daignault as "dilusional". Now he is an official over in Fiction.

The idea has some merit but wading through all the phonies would be monumental. I just had a message board thread sent to me that made me laugh. It was about a guy who claimed to have fished somewhere and another guy who was "always" there and never saw him. Al Bentsen above mentioned the whole new ballgame of catch and release and he is right. How many times has a person who really knows what big fish look like chuckled when a picture of a "fifty pounder" was published. In the early 80s, when we had a spate of monsters on Nauset Beach, I was asked to look at a buggy that was full of fifties. I went over and not one weighed 50 pounds. Surfcasters? It is even worse in the boats.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:39 PM

I love it when they say stuff like: "I could tell just by looking at it".
Old 04-18-2005, 07:53 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank, Too bad you won't "go for it". I just spoke to Tony Chiarappo and he suggested I write a book on the subject. How does the title "The Surfcasters Hall of Fame" sound to you? I can put Bentsen in the first chapter (I plan on starting on those that are still with us).
You however, are more "qualified" than I to write the book. You are an accomplished author with many books already in print. If you won't do it, I will have to (but it will take me a long, LONG TIME!)!
Are you (at all) interested?
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 04-19-2005, 09:21 AM

You write it as I have too much to do. My challenge is to limit my activities. Listen, move a little closer to your monitor, as I don't want to repeat this: IF THE BOOK WERE TO CONTAIN 100 MEMBERS TO THE HALL OF FAME, IT WOULD SELL 100 COPIES.

Nifty, some people can tell by looking at them. Time was when I could do that, when I was a weighmaster. Between what the six of us weighed in and what was brought to me as a weighmaster, I used to guess the weight of a big bass within two pounds. No 45 pounder then could have ever passed my sight as a 50. But that was then and this is now. The yo-yos of yore, your fathers and uncles, largely had never seen a 40-pounder, let alone a "fifty". There is an overblown notion of the numbers of the so-called good old days.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Publisher, StriperSurf

quote:
Fish tales offer reel morality lesson

Monday, April 18, 2005
BY D. Dohhne
The Patriot-News (Harrisburg, PA)

What starts innocently enough, often with a wink, can turn into humiliation, court fines, marital woe -- even international discord.

Lying about fishing has a long history, at least to the days of Izaak Walton, and it seems to be getting worse. I'm not talking about the sort of tales whose telling Patrick McManus raises to an art form in his amusing book "I Fish, Therefore I Am." I mean the kind done with a straight face.

With the 2005 Pennsylvania trout chase barely under way, here are a few stories about how fibber fishermen learned that truth is always in season:

Danny Engleking, 40, was arrested and accused of trying to rig a fishing tournament by retrieving a prize-winning bass from a sunken cage. Instead of claiming the contest's $300 first prize, he paid a $25 fine and $132 in court costs after a surveillance camera showed him loading bass from the cage he apparently had secreted underwater onto his boat on Lake Shafer near Monticello, Ind., in 2003.

Half a country away, operators of the 56-year-old Rio Vista, Calif., Bass Festival know that some anglers lie. That's why they use a lie-detector test. And that's what kept them from awarding the top prize in their 2003 tourney, a $19,000 fishing boat with a 50-horsepower engine and trailer, to someone who presented a 40-pound striped bass that he said he had caught under the contest rules. Results of the polygraph test said otherwise.

For much of his life, Ottway Stuberud lived with a fishing lie, no little lie, mind you. It was big enough to put the Knife River, Minn., man's name in his state's record book for 29 years next to the leading steelhead entry. His 17-pound, 6-ounce entry stood as the mark to beat from 1974 until December 2003, when a guilty conscience led him to fess up to conservation officers. He told them the fish was a fraud, apparently caught out of state.

But Stuberud's embarrassment is only part of the pain. The Minnesota steelhead record has reverted to a 15-pound, 7-ouncer caught in 1970 by Cliff Lovold of Two Harbors, who had the honor before Stuberud claimed it. Lovold's daughter said her father, a lifelong angler, would be thrilled to know he held the record for 35 years. But he never had the chance. Lovold died in 2000 at 83.

America is not the only home of the whopper. Making sure of the legitimacy of the 7,000 or so records that go into the International Game Fish Association's books each year is a full-time job for Doug Blodgett. Part statistician, part detective and part scientist, Blodgett tells of a teen who last year submitted an application for a 3-pound, 7-ounce ladyfish, a species recently added to the world-record categories.

One problem with the lad's filing was that his hand-held scale only measured in 8-ounce increments. Blodgett figures the boy must have, um, estimated the seven ounces.

A bigger problem is that the scale was not certified by the IGFA, whose rules call for scales to have been certified within one year of the catch date. Blodgett checks such details to uphold the association's philosophy of good sportsmanship and conservation.

A British angler's deception on the stream "destroyed me, my marriage and everything I ever wanted. I felt so guilty. Not a week went by without me thinking about it."

After eight years, Clive White, 37, confessed to the British Fish Record Committee that his monster rainbow trout (36 pounds, 14 ounces) was dead before he netted it and had been raised in captivity.

On a larger scale, whole nations are known for their tall fish tales. China has a well-documented reputation for such deception, one illustrating that lying can hurt the fish, too.

Rapid growth in the Chinese fishing industry over the past two decades has fueled fears that over-harvesting could deplete fish stocks.

Canadian researchers accuse Chinese officials of inflating fishing catches, thereby masking a decline in global fish stocks. The Canadians say that the Chinese misreported fishing data throughout the 1990s, making global catches appear to be rising by 700 million pounds a year while they actually were falling by 800 million pounds.

So next time you're out on the stream showing a young person how to challenge trout, sure, go ahead and tell them the difference between night crawlers and red worms; dry flies and wet.

Then make sure they know the difference between honesty and stupidity. That could be the catch of the day.

Old 04-19-2005, 02:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Daignault:

Nifty, some people can tell by looking at them. Time was when I could do that, when I was a weighmaster. Between what the six of us weighed in and what was brought to me as a weighmaster, I used to guess the weight of a big bass within two pounds. No 45 pounder then could have ever passed my sight as a 50. But that was then and this is now. The yo-yos of yore, your fathers and uncles, largely had never seen a 40-pounder, let alone a "fifty". There is an overblown notion of the numbers of the so-called good old days.

Right. I was referring to the yoyos who have little experience with big fish and are telling me about all the monsters they are getting and don't ever weigh their fish. That's one of their favorite lines. Was not referring to any of you highliners monsieur D.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:53 PM

The weight thing is funny as hell.I spent a good 3 years like a kook, weighing and measuring any decent sized fish I caught or the people around me caught.I can eyeball a bass to within 2-3 pounds up to fish in there mid thirtys.I have not seen enough cows be able to do it on large fish though.
A friend of mine is just aweful at guessing though.I get a twenty pounder and he tells me it's got to be thirty.I tell him no way and we get into an argument over it as I release it.This has gone on many times and I just gave up.Who am I to argue, I look Like a hero..LOL

Doug M
Old 04-19-2005, 10:03 PM

Robert Post's book "Reading the Water" was a surcaster's hall of fame type book and its one of my favorites. each chapter is on a winner of the martha's vineyard derby and the share some fun stories and some of their trademark tricks that got them into some big bass..

I bet the book would do well
Old 04-19-2005, 10:10 PM
SS/Veteran

and with Franks "already in place" following....................
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 04-20-2005, 07:53 AM

We have a thread going on the Hall of Fame, bouys and curls.