Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Thanks Rookie, I hope you didn't drag Al down. But then, we both have seven fifties so it might feel good even if we all three got skunked. I know what Al would be fishing with. Fur sure, fur sure.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:02 PM

Just face the other way and you won't get anything on your shoes.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Rookie I rarely fish with anyone except a few close friends. I only fish after midnight and during the week when most people are sleeping before going to work. I have lost several good spots because a friend told a friend and turned the location into the place to fish for everyone.

Ninety percent of the people during the week that fish after midnight hours don't speak english. They don't know me or ever see me with a fish,all fish go back. Plus you always catch more by yourself than you can with one or two people along.

Sorry it's not the answer you wanted but now you don't have to give up that fall season.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:55 PM

A simple, practical basic answer. We all know these things but sometimes we don't know how to say them. My wife loves to say, "people think you have yellow bolloons on fifty pounders."
Old 04-26-2005, 01:24 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

So thats how you do it!
Rookie,
I'm sure anyone here would love to spend a night fishing with Frank or Al,me included.However, if you cant because the buggers dont want to give up their spots,you can take their insights into fishing,which span many a night on the "midwatch hunts",and put them to use.The information they impart here,is priceless!I know that I have learned a lot from reading Franks books,and also from what he posts here.I have also learned a lot from Al B's posts,though I dont know if I'm ready for dealing with the eels(bad experience with them as a kid... )However,they are both giving up some,as Frank likes to say,"keys to the castle".Are they doing it to help us "kids" to be better able to fish? Maybe not,but I think so.They have enjoyed the time in the surf,and want to the rest of us to do so also.Take the morsels that impart,and run with them.Who knows,some night up in New Yawk,you might be fishing next to Al Bentsen,and not even know it! Just enjoy it!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:27 PM

I know this is all light and I really appreciate the attention. But it is unwise to hitch up with people who you do not know. I was taught better as a child. I have had a number of awful experiences accepting invitations from strangers. Basicly, people often do things for the wrong reasons. Anybody, not just someone who gets a lot of attention, should retain their privacy and limit what they allow to be known about themselves. it is too easy to screw someone. Worse, fishing and hunting with a woman makes me so easy to recognize.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Early in this "thread", Bentsen talks about herring, the pair trawlers and their implication in the mobs of seals on The Cape. Bentsen just sent me a picture via email of a pack of seals in a Long Island, NY inlet (taken May 10th).
At this rate, seals will soon be camped out on New Jersey beaches for "the season"..........JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 05-13-2005, 01:06 AM

Al,

Just read you had a trip to the hospital. Hope all is well and that it is nothing serious. Get well soon, and I hope to read some of your posts soon.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:11 AM

[quote]Originally posted by ALB31:
Plus you always catch more by yourself than you can with one or two people along.
QUOTE]

This is so true for me. I can concentrate better, I can fish how I want and go where I want to without being challenged. I always do better alone - I'm more focused.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:32 PM

I have a lot of good friends that I have known for years that would love to be taken out, shown the ropes -- especially fly fishing for stripers. But I am so afraid, so paranoid, that they will ruin the place with a dozen buddies that even though I want to do it for them, I could never forgive myself if my own dire prediction held true; and it would. I have even thought of taking them to a more mediocre situation so that they wouldn't be so horsed, but that is self-defeating too.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:06 PM
SS/Veteran

So Al,
How is your summer shaping up? How have you been feeling? Any bunker in "my spot"???
Frank writes that he is paranoid about taking people fishing as they could tell 5 or 6 friends and ruin a spot (like that night on the "Little Point" when the "one guy" (Mike)from the "S_____R S__F CLUB" found me (I was in the act of dragging a 30 and a 40 to my car)and the next night there were 4 guys fishing there even though Mike promised not to tell. He backed out of the water and explained to me that they "made him tell"!!!
When I fished with you or other people who "knew what they were doing" there was never an issue about "loose lips". Most of the people like that don't have any confidence in what they are doing and where they are doing it so they depend on others to find fish for them; mistakenly thinking that they will catch too as it must be the place, not "them"...
Are "they" bothering you now??? JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 07-18-2005, 07:35 AM
SS/Veteran

Jason believe it or not Mike is back he hasn't found me yet. If he isn't retired he won't. I go out very late. Everytime he's found me I had a 40 plus on. It got to a point when I had one on I would turn around and he would be arriving.

Another stalker died, but his legacy was to flood the place with his club members and they are there night after night every year. That started in 1992. I haven't been able to go back.
I had that spot to myself since 1970.

I have one active stalker with friends left. The only way to avoid him is to fish somewhere else. But the only spots he goes to are where he's found me fishing. I need you here with the boat so we can fish from the islands in the bay, and avoid all the BS.

Right now I'm looking foward to the big bass run in August. No one will find me there.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:29 PM
SS/Veteran

Al, Does Nick Karas still write for Newsday? I was always appalled by his total lack of "real knowledge" and how he always tried to make himself out to be an "authority" on fishing.
One time, someone reported to him that the "mullet run" was on and he went on to describe what good fighters and tasty table fare those scrappy mullet were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 07-18-2005, 08:26 PM

Nick Karas retired from Newsday several years ago.

If you think Nick didn't know vey much, you'd positively LOVE ( ) the guy who took his place, Tom Rock
Old 07-19-2005, 08:04 AM

Maybe we should start a thread on "Googan Outdoor Writers". They're out there,